Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Canadian spec is slightly different than U.S. spec.

I think you get heated steering wheel standard as well if I’m not mistaken. That is standard on the Advanced trim here, but at least optional as a dealer installed accessory on other trims like A-Spec.
I think your correct. I do have a heated steering wheel and it also has heating coils Where the whisper blades rest to, to defrost them in the winter time. For those -20C mornings. -4F lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder how much it'd cost to retro those from a Type-S since they have Apex Blue Pearl also....
I'd message your dealer and see. I'm sure it Wouldn't be cheap. You could also wait awhile and I'm sure a company is going to make a addon that will be cheaper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX Advance. I now have 94K miles (3rd owner since 84K) and the car runs perfect. No leaks, Trans is smooth in sport mode. I recently replaced the Goodyear's with Continental extreme contacts, what a difference, softer ride with much better grip in the wet.

I thought about trading it in for a 2020 A-spec but I will probably keep the 2015 for another 5 yrs. I like it that much, love the V6, best all around car I ever had. .

Good luck

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,093 Posts
I also have the 4 cylinder, 8 -speed DCT on a 2018 TLX with Technology package. So my model is also somewhat dated compared to the 2021's but am very happy with the car. It's my second TLX (previously owned a 2015 model). My only "real" complaint is the poor battery life. Both models I've owned have never gone longer than 14 months before requiring a new battery (but I'll also add that I live in Arizona and the hot climate is murderous on car batteries).

Reactions: MarcoTLX

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX V6 Tech Package
160 Posts
I also have the 4 cylinder, 8 -speed DCT on a 2018 TLX with Technology package. So my model is also somewhat dated compared to the 2021's but am very happy with the car. It's my second TLX (previously owned a 2015 model). My only "real" complaint is the poor battery life. Both models I've owned have never gone longer than 14 months before requiring a new battery (but I'll also add that I live in Arizona and the hot climate is murderous on car batteries).
Yeah had a battery issue this weekend with my TLX ended up having to replace the battery for ~$200 but then again according to my car's service records the battery hasn't been replaced since August 2019.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
123 Posts
Yeah had a battery issue this weekend with my TLX ended up having to replace the battery for ~$200 but then again according to my car's service records the battery hasn't been replaced since August 2019.
Do you have the specs for your replacement battery handy? I ask because my '21 comes from the factory with a honking great H7/group 94 AGM cell battery where the spare tire should be...it's rated at 800A (cold cranking) and 80 amps. I'm going to be sad if replacing that monster is an annual maintenance item. An Optima yellow Top H7 lists for more than $300.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you have the specs for your replacement battery handy? I ask because my '21 comes from the factory with a honking great H7/group 94 AGM cell battery where the spare tire should be...it's rated at 800A (cold cranking) and 80 amps. I'm going to be sad if replacing that monster is an annual maintenance item. An Optima yellow Top H7 lists for more than $300.
I don’t have the specs I’ll try to get them sometime tomorrow. It was said Acura cars go through batteries quicker than usual cars

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
123 Posts
Don't worry about it. Should be a group 35/H6 unit if they used the stock part. It's one size smaller (maybe 2) from the one that comes on the '21.

Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a week or so. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a '21 Advance SH-AWD. I'm coming from a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.

As an avid car forum reader, I understand the skewed perspective of car forums, with most people coming here to troubleshoot problems.
It seems like the TLX does have its fair share of first-year quality issues.

I'd like to try to solicit some more diverse feedback.. Do you like your TLX? Would you buy it again? Is it worth upgrading from an Accord?

I know it's all personal preference, so I'll say that I am the kind of person who will appreciate the elevated experience that comes from a luxury car, including more dynamic handling, SH-AWD, more premium and exclusive styling, better & quieter ride, more features like premium interior materials, heated wheel, HUD, cooled seats with far more adjustments, superb audio system, better infotainment, ambient lighting, etc. I know the TLX is slower than the Accord 2.0T 10AT, but it's actually a hair quicker than my 2.0T 6MT according to Car and Driver. So, the only negatives I see are the reduced rear seat and cargo space and the reduced fuel economy. (Anyone here run regular fuel?) I almost never have people in the back seat, but I do every once in a while. Hopefully it's still spacious enough for that. I don't think maintenance will end up being that much more; the only difference should be the SH-AWD components. I do my maintenance myself anyway. Another slight concern is that the closest Acura dealership is an hour and 20 minutes away, so any issues will be rather inconvenient to resolve.

My mind is pretty much made up for myself, because I believe the elevated experience of this car will outweigh the price and potential negatives. But it would still be neat to hear some more feedback from actual owners who are (hopefully) happy with their TLX.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to joining the TLX club!
i just leased a 2021 tlx with tech package three weeks ago for 459 per month. i really didn't have any other choice because of chip shortage. ( i wanted another infiniti ) after leasing four infinitis g37s and a q50 for the last 12 years the tlx does not compare in anyway. i'll be strait out honest. the tlx is not a sports sedan, its a rediculous long sedan that looks sporty. i live in brooklyn ny stop and go traffic, in normal mode i was getting 12.5 mpg, now in comfort mode im getting 16.5 mpg but its a soft ride. for a car that is longer by far than any other car in its category, almost 10 inches longer that a bmw and 5 inches longer than my infiniti the car has a smaller back seat. all the length is in the hood. i posted this a lot, whenever you drive over a metal grading on a bridge your swerving left to right, very dangerous. the other thing that i don't understand, for a car this big it has a very small fuel tank only15 gallons, i can't even get 275 miles to a tank, i don't even drive that much and every week and a half im filling up. this is city driving. besides all this the car has a nice ride but a terrible design, if i find a used infiniti i;ll put this on swap a lease im sorry for sounding like a broken record with other posts.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
14 Posts
I’ve owned the 2021 TLX Aspec for 4 months now and my rating/feeling on this vehicle is mixed. Below are my thought so far and I hope it’ll help you decided even further:

Cons:
1. Acura service is sucks(garbage) from customer service to it’s dealerships compare to other competitors (still waiting on a phone call from Acura and this has been over three months since original case was open)
2. Vehicle has multiple quality issues (recommend you check the car fully before signing)
3. Suspension is sucks which kinda like the Accord 2.0T which doesn’t make any sense for a luxury car of $45k
4. Brake petal spring noise is outrageously annoying (dealership stated it is normal since all TLX are made to do that but 22 MDX doesn’t)
5. Car making weird speaker noise once in awhile when connected to apple CarPlay
6. Gas range or mileage is terrible. Still can not get over 300 miles for a full tanks
7. Can not turn off auto start stop with one setting. Has to turn it off manually every time the car start up
8. Blind spot location is weird and sometime is slow to detect coming car
8. Car doesn’t come with any free maintenance plan (recommended to get the Acura care maintenance plan)
9. Auto Insurance for this car is expensive
10. The parking brake location and switch os confusing. The accord is better placed and work better

Pros:
1. The car interior quality is great especially the lightings at night
2. The car has great visibility
3. The 17 speakers sounds systems is super great
4. The traffic jam assists does help a lot during slow traffics stop on highway since it is steer at any speed as long it detecting the lane mark and slow down to stop as well
5. Back up camera is great
6. The parking sensors working well

Since I used to own 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T, I would say the TLX is not good for the money and I wouldn’t recommend anyone to switch to a brand new TLX. The accord is way more fun than the TLX in my opinion since it is faster and provide a better gas mileage and does a lot of thing that the TLX does. Also, if you are getting the Advance trim, I recommend checkout a used one that is under 5000 miles on Carvana or Acura dealership cause they are at $42k’ish which save you $5k+. I hope this help :)
Yeah I share the opposite views pretty much. The suspension/new chassis I feel is a big upgrade over the Accord. One of the big selling points, IMO. I came from a 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T. I spend most of my time in Cleveland/Chicago. Roads are horrendous in both places pretty much. TLX ride quality is MUCH better and I have an ASpec with no adaptive dampeners. Cabin is more quiet with better insulation though Honda/Acura are not as good as others in general with cabin/tire noise and such. The SH-AWD system is excellent. Pulls you out of corners better than the

I haven’t had any issues with the car except the puddle lights but, to be honest, I had no idea they were there in the first place. Ignorance is bliss!

Accord is quicker off the line for sure and obviously lighter. However, I feel the TLX has plenty of power especially in the midrange. A few friends have felt it was certainly quick enough. And it definitely is considering the weight. I don’t care about 0-60 or off the line speed. None of us are taking it to the track lol.

The cabin is just SUCH a better place to spend time in. The ELS system is truly excellent and I work in music/sound. Materials are MUCH nicer and at night with ambient lighting it’s real sharp. To me it’s worth the price difference. Paying more for gas isn’t fun but it is what it is. The Accord is such a solid car though. I had no complaints really. I just love the look of the TLX inside and out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just leased a 2021 tlx with tech package three weeks ago for 459 per month. i really didn't have any other choice because of chip shortage. ( i wanted another infiniti ) after leasing four infinitis g37s and a q50 for the last 12 years the tlx does not compare in anyway. i'll be strait out honest. the tlx is not a sports sedan, its a rediculous long sedan that looks sporty. i live in brooklyn ny stop and go traffic, in normal mode i was getting 12.5 mpg, now in comfort mode im getting 16.5 mpg but its a soft ride. for a car that is longer by far than any other car in its category, almost 10 inches longer that a bmw and 5 inches longer than my infiniti the car has a smaller back seat. all the length is in the hood. i posted this a lot, whenever you drive over a metal grading on a bridge your swerving left to right, very dangerous. the other thing that i don't understand, for a car this big it has a very small fuel tank only15 gallons, i can't even get 275 miles to a tank, i don't even drive that much and every week and a half im filling up. this is city driving. besides all this the car has a nice ride but a terrible design, if i find a used infiniti i;ll put this on swap a lease im sorry for sounding like a broken record with other posts.
I agree with you on the range. it is very bad. still not getting over 220 miles from a full tanks. Also, if anyone who is currently owning the Type S trim can you share how many miles does it give from a full tank of gas? I am very curious to know...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a week or so. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a '21 Advance SH-AWD. I'm coming from a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.

As an avid car forum reader, I understand the skewed perspective of car forums, with most people coming here to troubleshoot problems.

I'd like to try to solicit some more diverse feedback.. Do you like your TLX? Would you buy it again? Is it worth upgrading from an Accord?

I know it's all personal preference, so I'll say that I am the kind of person who will appreciate the elevated experience that comes from a luxury car, including more dynamic handling, SH-AWD, more premium and exclusive styling, better & quieter ride, more features like premium interior materials, heated wheel, HUD, cooled seats with far more adjustments, superb audio system, better infotainment, ambient lighting, etc. I know the TLX is slower than the Accord 2.0T 10AT, but it's actually a hair quicker than my 2.0T 6MT according to Car and Driver. So, the only negatives I see are the reduced rear seat and cargo space and the reduced fuel economy. (Anyone here run regular fuel?) I almost never have people in the back seat, but I do every once in a while. Hopefully it's still spacious enough for that. I don't think maintenance will end up being that much more; the only difference should be the SH-AWD components. I do my maintenance myself anyway. Another slight concern is that the closest Acura dealership is an hour and 20 minutes away, so any issues will be rather inconvenient to resolve.

My mind is pretty much made up for myself, because I believe the elevated experience of this car will outweigh the price and potential negatives. But it would still be neat to hear some more feedback from actual owners who are (hopefully) happy with their TLX.

Hey guys,

10 months with my 2018 Acura, TLX base and loving the car. I owned a TSX, 2010 and drove her for 10 years, 178,000 care free miles. Really wanted a new used Honda Accord but could not find at the right price point. After driving the TLX there was no comparison, the TLX is better equipped, low noise level warranty and the certified program doesn’t compare. the real winner is the selective drive mode. So far no issues and still enjoying. The only down side is the visibility from the driver seat, I’m learning to trust the backup camera. I’m hoping the Acura reliability gets me to 10 years of carefree driving.

·
Registered
160 Posts
10 months with my 2018 Acura, TLX base and loving the car. I owned a TSX, 2010 and drove her for 10 years, 178,000 care free miles. Really wanted a new used Honda Accord but could not find at the right price point. After driving the TLX there was no comparison, the TLX is better equipped, low noise level warranty and the certified program doesn’t compare. the real winner is the selective drive mode. So far no issues and still enjoying. The only down side is the visibility from the driver seat, I’m learning to trust the backup camera. I’m hoping the Acura reliability gets me to 10 years of carefree driving.
It will if you treat it right! Acura and Honda always gonna hold you down for a good several years 🔥

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
25 Posts
I got a 21 Type S, I am very happy with it, it is what I wanted in a daily, I test drove it before so no surprises, it is not a rocket, but handles like a dream, I can effortlessly pass any car I need to, however I do not race in public roads so I don't need to see who's have it bigger at any traffic light. the suspension is sporty but absolutely comfortable, better and faster than the former Lexus RC350 Type F I traded in, the front seats are very comfortable and my pup does not complain about the rear seat. Roads in south Florida are in good shape so sporty suspension is not an issue, I can assure BMW Ms or MB AMG's are far stiffer as it should be for a high performance car. Sound system is above average, Only issue so far is a puddle light in the side view mirror gone off, and some road noise in some specific concrete tarmacs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm coming from a 2018 C300 Coupe, and the TLX is far far better in terms of ride quality, interior fit and finish, streering/handling and value of course. C300 was brutally stiff, on horrible run flats, and the interior rattled to an embarrassing degree.

The C300's engine and transmission felt better and more powerful despite the on paper numbers being significantly lower than the TLX. Obviously the TLX is much heavier. I think the C300 felt more rear wheel drive-y, but I think the TLX's SHAWD can get you through a turn faster. The handling is far superior with the TLX, the double wishbone suspension makes you feel so planted through all turns. So much feel.

Overall I am really really happy with my TLX apart from the steering wheel rattle. I would take the TLX 10/10 times over the C300 coupe I had. It's just way more liveable and right in that sweet spot in terms of value for money. Mercedes is charging too much for their poor build quality and reliability. Had to take that car in so many times for little issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't think you will be disappointed from your Accord to the TLX. I recently did the same but with a much older 2013 Accord EXL purchased new, but I road tested a new 2021 Accord 2.0T Touring while shopping and preferred the TLX. The ride and handling is superior to the Accord I traded the Honda in on the TLX with tech package and am happy with it so far, gas mileage is substantially lower than the Accord but that is expected due to difference in motors, transmission and weight. Being a car nut all my life and especially performance orientated the TLX fits my needs very well. For years my toy has been an 01 Mustang GT convert that I purchased new and modified over the years both engine & body and is a respectable performer and great show car winner. Last dyno tested about 13 years ago was cranking 317 HP at the rear wheels, naturally aspirated from OEM 260HP. The TLX with a 2.0T and 10 speed transmission will far out perform the Mustang

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

I owned an ‘09 Accord, then upgraded to a ‘15 Tlx v6, and now I own a 21 ASPEC. I miss the acceleration of my v6, but my ‘21 is far more luxurious and nicer to look at. I have the gray with red leather, and I get compliments all the time. I wish the gas mileage was better - the best I can do is 24-25 on the highway. My v6 could get 32-33 on the highway. I only put 93 octane in her. Again, I love my car, and yes, I would buy it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think you will be disappointed from your Accord to the TLX. I recently did the same but with a much older 2013 Accord EXL purchased new, but I road tested a new 2021 Accord 2.0T Touring while shopping and preferred the TLX. The ride and handling is superior to the Accord I traded the Honda in on the TLX with tech package and am happy with it so far, gas mileage is substantially lower than the Accord but that is expected due to difference in motors, transmission and weight. Being a car nut all my life and especially performance orientated the TLX fits my needs very well. For years my toy has been an 01 Mustang GT convert that I purchased new and modified over the years both engine & body and is a respectable performer and great show car winner. Last dyno tested about 13 years ago was cranking 317 HP at the rear wheels, naturally aspirated from OEM 260HP. The TLX with a 2.0T and 10 speed transmission will far out perform the Mustang
My toy is a ‘15 Mustang GT, and my daily is a ‘21 ASPEC. I came from a ‘15 TLX V6 and a 09 Accord before that. You have good taste!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very happy with my 2020 V6 with tech. Getting 34 mpg at 80 mph. Like the handling and cruise factor.
Not sure why anyone compares the Accord with the TLX. Two different platforms. Last time Accord platform was used by Acura was with the TSX which used the European Accord platform.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts