Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a week or so. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a '21 Advance SH-AWD. I'm coming from a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.

As an avid car forum reader, I understand the skewed perspective of car forums, with most people coming here to troubleshoot problems.
It seems like the TLX does have its fair share of first-year quality issues.

I'd like to try to solicit some more diverse feedback.. Do you like your TLX? Would you buy it again? Is it worth upgrading from an Accord?

I know it's all personal preference, so I'll say that I am the kind of person who will appreciate the elevated experience that comes from a luxury car, including more dynamic handling, SH-AWD, more premium and exclusive styling, better & quieter ride, more features like premium interior materials, heated wheel, HUD, cooled seats with far more adjustments, superb audio system, better infotainment, ambient lighting, etc. I know the TLX is slower than the Accord 2.0T 10AT, but it's actually a hair quicker than my 2.0T 6MT according to Car and Driver. So, the only negatives I see are the reduced rear seat and cargo space and the reduced fuel economy. (Anyone here run regular fuel?) I almost never have people in the back seat, but I do every once in a while. Hopefully it's still spacious enough for that. I don't think maintenance will end up being that much more; the only difference should be the SH-AWD components. I do my maintenance myself anyway. Another slight concern is that the closest Acura dealership is an hour and 20 minutes away, so any issues will be rather inconvenient to resolve.

My mind is pretty much made up for myself, because I believe the elevated experience of this car will outweigh the price and potential negatives. But it would still be neat to hear some more feedback from actual owners who are (hopefully) happy with their TLX.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to joining the TLX club!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mostly happy here.

The only complaints I have really are the relative slowness and the crappy stock tires.

For reference my last 2 cars were a WRX and before that a Chevy SS, so I knew going in that it would be slower, but was surprised to find it slower than the Accord Sport 10AT that I test drove a while ago. Thinking more about it though, I guess it makes sense since it’s the same engine and transmission and the Accord is a good 500-600 pounds lighter. The throttle lag is a little annoying as well, but you get used to it.

I swapped the stock Primacy A/S tires for some Continental DWS06 Plus and that made a huge difference in handling.

As an overall package, it’s a very good car. Looks awesome (I have an A-Spec in Apex Blue), interior is very nice with good materials and fit and finish. The ELS system is amazing. Looking forward to testing the SH-AWD in winter, but even in the dry you can feel it when accelerating out of a corner.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Welcome to the forum cwatt. We are glad that you joined. (y)

I am very happy with my TLX. I have the 2.4L, I4.. I am amazed at the getup and go of this car. There is no lag time here when you push it, unlike the V6.

The only problem so far was when all the warring lights were cycling thru the display and it dropped the speed to idle. Lucky that I had been reading the forum and knew to test the battery. Sure thing it was bad. Replaced the battery and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
72 Posts
Mostly happy. The exterior and interior looks are great!! I got the A-Spec SH-AWD. It has most of the tech I usually look for in a car nowadays...Android Auto, ventilated seats, auto brake hold, BSM, remote start, Qi wireless charger, great audio system, and the only thing its missing is HUD, powered trunk, and powered folding mirrors.
Only thing I really dont like is the trunk and the lack of a spare tire.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD
13 Posts
I too came from an 18 Accord (Touring) to the 21 Advance. No regrets with my decision. Yes, you are correct, the Accord with the 2.0 is quicker, but at my age I am not concerned about 0 to 60 times. I did get the AWD which makes the car heavier, but the TLX does handle better. The TLX does have a "luxury" car feel as compared to the Accord. My 2 "beefs" are the creaking noise with the steering and my puddle lights went out in the 1st month. As you mentioned these types of annoyances will be found with all new model year vehicles. I will be taking the TLX to the dealer soon to fix my 2 issues, but really enjoy driving the car and would buy again. (Also like CtK, I do not like the fact that no spare tire is provided.) I must add that the reason I sold the 18 Accord was two-fold. I was starting to have issues with my transmission slipping (dealer kept telling me they could not replicate), and had rattles in my HUD and rear shelf that could not be fixed. GOOD LUCK with your decision.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD
13 Posts
Also worth mentioning that you are going to be pleasantly surprised at what you will get for a trade or sale of your Accord. Don't think you will be able to do much negotiating on the price of the TLX, but all dealers/Car Max are giving top $$$$ for used vehicles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve owned the 2021 TLX Aspec for 4 months now and my rating/feeling on this vehicle is mixed. Below are my thought so far and I hope it’ll help you decided even further:

Cons:
1. Acura service is sucks(garbage) from customer service to it’s dealerships compare to other competitors (still waiting on a phone call from Acura and this has been over three months since original case was open)
2. Vehicle has multiple quality issues (recommend you check the car fully before signing)
3. Suspension is sucks which kinda like the Accord 2.0T which doesn’t make any sense for a luxury car of $45k
4. Brake petal spring noise is outrageously annoying (dealership stated it is normal since all TLX are made to do that but 22 MDX doesn’t)
5. Car making weird speaker noise once in awhile when connected to apple CarPlay
6. Gas range or mileage is terrible. Still can not get over 300 miles for a full tanks
7. Can not turn off auto start stop with one setting. Has to turn it off manually every time the car start up
8. Blind spot location is weird and sometime is slow to detect coming car
8. Car doesn’t come with any free maintenance plan (recommended to get the Acura care maintenance plan)
9. Auto Insurance for this car is expensive
10. The parking brake location and switch os confusing. The accord is better placed and work better

Pros:
1. The car interior quality is great especially the lightings at night
2. The car has great visibility
3. The 17 speakers sounds systems is super great
4. The traffic jam assists does help a lot during slow traffics stop on highway since it is steer at any speed as long it detecting the lane mark and slow down to stop as well
5. Back up camera is great
6. The parking sensors working well

Since I used to own 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T, I would say the TLX is not good for the money and I wouldn’t recommend anyone to switch to a brand new TLX. The accord is way more fun than the TLX in my opinion since it is faster and provide a better gas mileage and does a lot of thing that the TLX does. Also, if you are getting the Advance trim, I recommend checkout a used one that is under 5000 miles on Carvana or Acura dealership cause they are at $42k’ish which save you $5k+. I hope this help :)

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
129 Posts
'21 TLX Advance with the 2.0 Turbo motor. Very happy overall with the car. No reliability or build quality issues.

I did replace the stock tires with Michelin Pilot Sport AS/4, which make a tremendous difference in how the car "feels" and handles. The stock Primacies are numb until they break away, which is early, but you know it's coming not because you feel it but because they start screaming. The drawback to the Pilot Sports is that I doubt I'll get more than about 10K miles out of them. The car is just too heavy.

Like any heavy car with a small displacement engine you have to use the transmission to keep the motor up in the power band. It's never going to be a stoplight drag racer, but once the VTEC opens the cam timing there's ample power to be had.

Takes a lot of fuel to move a heavy car...I get around 18.5 to 21 MPG per the trip computer in daily use when driven lightly in suburban traffic, but once the mode selector goes to "sport" one best not regard fuel economy as something that applies to this car. I secretly suspect the Type S is going to be better in traffic.

Steering and suspension calibrations are perfect. With performance tires you can feel the torque vectoring diffs move power around where it's needed...all happens quickly and just at the perfect time.

Mine is black over ebony and I can report the A/C works fine, even on our 100+ days that are common in the Summer out in the great American southwest. Never thought ventilated seats were a big deal, but they are. Who'd a thunk it?

Don't make the mistake of thinking the new TLX is a luxury (or even near luxury) car. It's not. It's too stiff and, for lack of a better term, too "tense" to compete with Infinity or Buick or Lexus in those aspects. But it's a better driving machine than they are. It takes a little work to get the best out of it and it's limits are sufficiently high to be entertaining when called upon.

Bottom line: The TLX is one of the few cars I've owned that causes me to invent reasons to drive it, even if it's just a short trip to the market. It FUN! Character-wise it's reminiscent of the old Ford Cortina GT after Colin Chapman got ahold of it, but I am hoping the TLX will prove to be somewhat more durable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 Tyoe S and it is a great car, However, parts for it are impossible to get. I had a bad puddle light and when the dealer was replacing the lamp assembly he broke the mirror glass. Well guess what, he can't get a replacement mirror glass from Acura. My car has been sitting in the shop for a week now with no ETA on the part. These cars are nice but getting parts is next to impossible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2021 A-Spec SH-AWD about 4K miles now. Came from a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T

As said Michelin All Season tires suck. They could of at least put some type of performance All-Seasons on it but these are just plain old All-Season garbage.

Even with crappy tires (accords have low rolling resistance tires stock which = suck) it handles great. I wish they'd made it their own engine for Acura and used a turbo that can make more power, moved the torque curve up a bit to get some more power for us. A-Spec looks with the Advance features is what I really wanted. I'll never understand the way they package things. Power folding mirrors I especially wanted (wife's CX-5 has em for crying out loud)

Lacks rear USB ports. The stereo is awesome but why only one port to connect USB music or use Android Auto/Carplay?? My Accord had two, I could use Android Auto and a USB thumb for music at the same time. Not in the TLX???

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Lots of great responses!
I was ready to contribute, but my 2015 is so dated compared to these new fancy 2021's!
I would add that I am happy with the Advance trim. Get all the bells and whistles so you do not regret it later! (I should have gotten the SH-AWD!!)

Reactions: MarcoTLX

·
Registered
54 Posts
2021 A-Spec SH-AWD about 4K miles now. Came from a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T

As said Michelin All Season tires suck. They could of at least put some type of performance All-Seasons on it but these are just plain old All-Season garbage.

Even with crappy tires (accords have low rolling resistance tires stock which = suck) it handles great. I wish they'd made it their own engine for Acura and used a turbo that can make more power, moved the torque curve up a bit to get some more power for us. A-Spec looks with the Advance features is what I really wanted. I'll never understand the way they package things. Power folding mirrors I especially wanted (wife's CX-5 has em for crying out loud)

Lacks rear USB ports. The stereo is awesome but why only one port to connect USB music or use Android Auto/Carplay?? My Accord had two, I could use Android Auto and a USB thumb for music at the same time. Not in the TLX???
My 21' tlx a spec has power folding side mirrors. Yours don't Fold I when you lock your car? There's also a button on the door that folds them in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
21' TLX A Spec.

Coming from a 2010 dodge ram single cab short box. 🤫🤫 and a 2019 mazda 3 sport. So needless to say this is a huge improvement to me. I wanted a big comfy sedan that was reliable. As far as I'm concerned that's two options. Lexus and Acura and I went with the Acura.

I love this car. I find reasons to drive it all the time. I didn't buy it for a sports car or speed. I bought it for a highway cruiser which it definitely is. Looking forward to some snow, so I can get to try out that SH AWD. I Think that's the biggest plus to upgrading from an accord to the TLX is the AWD. Definitely if you live in Canada Like me.

I haven't had any quality issues or anything break. I only have 2500kms on the car so I wouldn't expect there to be. Some people are having issues tho.

My only complaint about the car is the 10 speed auto. Its painfully slow to down shift some times. It hunts for gears at inappropriate times instead of using the power from the engine. And we all know why. It's full economy. Its alittle rough on the shifts too. Not the smoothest transmission either and I came from a dodge ram. Lol. Honda hasnt had much luck with their 8 and 9 speeds. So I'm alittle hesitant on this 10 speed. This transmission is in the accord and odyssey and I've been lurking on their forums for transmission Issues and havent found much. Someone also said theor transmission got smoother after 10 000kms. Not sure what truth there is to that but here's hoping. Also if you put her in sport she wont use the last two gears which should help alleviate some of those issues.

besides that one thing I love this car. And it has to be one of the best looking cars on the market right now.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX V6 Tech Package
166 Posts
Lots of great responses!
I was ready to contribute, but my 2015 is so dated compared to these new fancy 2021's!
I would add that I am happy with the Advance trim. Get all the bells and whistles so you do not regret it later! (I should have gotten the SH-AWD!!)
Yeah my 2016 can't compare tech wise to all these 2021 TLXs lol.... I will say I love my 2016 TLX but ultimately in retrospect I feel like I still rushed to get my TLX and didn't take my time to explore my options within the TLX model year and I should have tried to get into a 2018+ TLX or at least I should've gotten the AWD 2015+ TLX that was on the lot. I get a lot of compliments on the Blue Fathom Pearl color! It has been the driving force in me considering getting into a 2021 or 2018+ TLX towards the end of this year. I really need find Apple Carplay useful my mom has it in her 2020 TLX so that's one upgrade I would greatly appreciate in a newer TLX.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 21' tlx a spec has power folding side mirrors. Yours don't Fold I when you lock your car? There's also a button on the door that folds them in.
Really, can you share how and what button is it?
Maybe only Canadian aspec version has it and I’m for sure US Aspec doesn’t according to the spec sheet. Only the Advance and Type S has it

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can confirm that my U.S. model 2021 A-Spec definitely does NOT have power folding mirrors. Only the U.S. model Advanced has that feature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really, can you share how and what button is it?
Maybe only Canadian aspec version has it and I’m for sure US Aspec doesn’t according to the spec sheet. Only the Advance and Type S has it
If you have it, it would be this button. Not sure why the canadian TLX Would be different. They're all made in Ohio.
Automotive lighting Personal luxury car Office equipment Font Automotive design

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have it, it would be this button. Not sure why the canadian TLX Would be different. They're all made in Ohio.
View attachment 26666
Canadian spec is slightly different than U.S. spec.

I think you get heated steering wheel standard as well if I’m not mistaken. That is standard on the Advanced trim here, but at least optional as a dealer installed accessory on other trims like A-Spec.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
152 Posts
I have a 21 A-Spec SH-AWD in Performance Red. In a vacuum, it's a great car and a great balance between performance and "luxury". I got a great discount on mine in April and that's why I pulled the trigger. I personally wouldn't recommend one unless you are getting at least $4000 off MSRP. Any more than that and I would recommend looking at a different car.

My main criticism of the car is the relatively stiff suspension. I had a BMW 5 Series before the TLX and it provided a much better ride over poor pavement and there are times where the thump of rough pavement makes me think that the better handling isn't worth it.

I looked at buying the Advance but I chose the A-Spec because I decided that I didn't need the HUD, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel and adaptive dampers and I preferred the look of the A-Spec. I really disliked the light color wood trim in the Advance that I drove. In hindsight, if I could have gotten a red advance with black interior....I would seriously consider doing that instead.

I will say that my TLX is the first car that I've had in a while where I genuinely felt a sense of satisfaction when I opened the door to go out to the car. I liked my 5 series, but it didn't have have a lot of "soul". It did it's job well but it wasn't particularly engaging to drive and it kind of blended into the crowd of other black sedans when it was sitting in a crowded parking lot.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts