Acura TLX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not sure why anyone compares the Accord with the TLX. Two different platforms. Last time Accord platform was used by Acura was with the TSX which used the European Accord platform.
For me, it has nothing to do with what platform either car uses. It’s just that the TLX is the natural next step if you’re looking for a more special experience than what the Accord offers and want to stay within the Honda family. I think that’s probably why most people compare the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a week or so. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a '21 Advance SH-AWD. I'm coming from a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT.
. Wow, letting go of one of the last decent 6MT cars must be difficult. I bought my wife a TLX tech with SH-AWD and she loves it. We both had/have 2015 Honda Accord V6 Sedans. The interior on the TLX, the ride, the handling and the feel of AWD are great.
I bought our V6’s for the power, I’m keeping mine because I still get goosebumps from the smoothness. For a while, I thought of getting the TLX myself, but I can’t get used to the long hood on the car and how in certain situations the driver is too far back to see from side to side when approaching an intersection or coming out of a driveway or parking lot. I also don’t like how low the car is. I’m going to drive the following (when/if car prices come back to earth) and decide between them:

VW Jetta GLI 6MT (no dealers have any stock currently, I think a new model is coming soon?)
Honda Civic SI 6MT (have to wait until it comes out)
Lexus IS 300 AWD V6

I’ve never driven any of them, my bet is on the IS300. The question will be which do I value more the V6 or the manual being that I can’t have both.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
14 Posts
Very happy with my 2020 V6 with tech. Getting 34 mpg at 80 mph. Like the handling and cruise factor.
Not sure why anyone compares the Accord with the TLX. Two different platforms. Last time Accord platform was used by Acura was with the TSX which used the European Accord platform.

I’m not so sure about that. Even Savage Geese has noted that 10th Gen Accords and others I bet have shared suspension design and construction with previous generation(s) TLX and TLs. Since they are the same company I wouldn’t be surprised if they use the same materials and companies who manufacture said materials. This all then results is similar DNA. To me, my 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T felt awfully similar to the GF’s 4th Gen TL. The steering weight/feel ride quality, etc.

The TLX and Accord safety system setup and operation feels similar and one can definitely tell they are related. How it’s executed via the scrolling with the thumb on the steering wheel and such.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
137 Posts
. Wow, letting go of one of the last decent 6MT cars must be difficult. I bought my wife a TLX tech with SH-AWD and she loves it. We both had/have 2015 Honda Accord V6 Sedans. The interior on the TLX, the ride, the handling and the feel of AWD are great.
I bought our V6’s for the power, I’m keeping mine because I still get goosebumps from the smoothness. For a while, I thought of getting the TLX myself, but I can’t get used to the long hood on the car and how in certain situations the driver is too far back to see from side to side when approaching an intersection or coming out of a driveway or parking lot. I also don’t like how low the car is. I’m going to drive the following (when/if car prices come back to earth) and decide between them:

VW Jetta GLI 6MT (no dealers have any stock currently, I think a new model is coming soon?)
Honda Civic SI 6MT (have to wait until it comes out)
Lexus IS 300 AWD V6

I’ve never driven any of them, my bet is on the IS300. The question will be which do I value more the V6 or the manual being that I can’t have both.
The length of the new TLX has zero impact on visibility at intersections. I will say that it does sit very low and even driving slow, I've had 3-4 instances of dragging the air splitter on the ground pulling out of driveways.

The most laughable thing about the long hood is that when you look at the engine bay, there is a huge open space between the engine and the firewall.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
14 Posts
The length of the new TLX has zero impact on visibility at intersections. I will say that it does sit very low and even driving slow, I've had 3-4 instances of dragging the air splitter on the ground pulling out of driveways.

The most laughable thing about the long hood is that when you look at the engine bay, there is a huge open space between the engine and the firewall.
You know why the space is there, right? Also, I happen to agree with the guy you quoted. It’s not a dealbreaker at all but an adjustment for sure. I’d avoid making your opinion presented as gospel. It’s a fact that we are in a seating position far from the nose of the car with pretty thick A-pillars as well. It is what it is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know why the space is there, right? Also, I happen to agree with the guy you quoted. It’s not a dealbreaker at all but an adjustment for sure. I’d avoid making your opinion presented as gospel. It’s a fact that we are in a seating position far from the nose of the car with pretty thick A-pillars as well. It is what it is.
It really depends on where you live. If you are in a dense urban setting like New York, I suppose it's a factor. I've driven my car for 4 1/2 months and I haven't had a situation where I was worried about the front of my car getting ripped off because I couldn't see. The front of the car is maybe a foot longer than normal. If the length of the TLX is a factor, there are a hundred other cars that need to be avoided.

I'm getting ready to drive a Suburban in downtown Seattle next month. That's going to be a challenge. Driving a TLX is child's play compared to that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The length of the new TLX has zero impact on visibility at intersections.
I respectfully disagree. If there are cars parked on both sides of the street (to the left and right of you) you are trying to enter from a side street or driveway, you have to nose out into the intersection too far into cross traffic to be able to see if anyone is coming. At least 2-3 feet further than if I was in my accord. If you are in a less rural location, this won’t be a problem. Granted, even for me, this doesn’t happen too often but when it does, it is outright dangerous

·
Registered
137 Posts
I respectfully disagree. If there are cars parked on both sides of the street (to the left and right of you) you are trying to enter from a side street or driveway, you have to nose out into the intersection too far into cross traffic to be able to see if anyone is coming. At least 2-3 feet further than if I was in my accord. If you are in a less rural location, this won’t be a problem. Granted, even for me, this doesn’t happen too often but when it does, it is outright dangerous
This is an imperfect comparison because the wheelbase isn't coming out perfect, but according to what I'm seeing here, the driver in a 2021 TLX is sitting only about 7" further back from the front of the car than a 2021 Accord. There is no way that it's a 2-3' difference. It could easily be a 1' difference but it likely isn't more than that. There might be limited situations where the hood length is an issue, but I'm going to say that it's more psychological than real.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is an imperfect comparison because the wheelbase isn't coming out perfect, but according to what I'm seeing here, the driver in a 2021 TLX is sitting only about 7" further back from the front of the car than a 2021 Accord. There is no way that it's a 2-3' difference. It could easily be a 1' difference but it likely isn't more than that. There might be limited situations where the hood length is an issue, but I'm going to say that it's more psychological than real.
View attachment 26742
I have a ninth gen accord. That picture can’t be accurate vs my car anyway. I got more back seat and more trunk than the TLX. My car certainly isn’t longer than a TLX so the space has to come from somewhere

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a ninth gen accord. That picture can’t be accurate vs my car anyway. I got more back seat and more trunk than the TLX. My car certainly isn’t longer than a TLX so the space has to come from somewhere
The TLX and 2016 Accord have the same front seat room. Your 2016 Accord has 3.6" more rear seat room (38.5" vs 34.9"). It has 2.3 cf more trunk space and that probably means the trunk is 6" deeper (at most). The 2016 Accord is 2" shorter than the 2021 TLX. Add those differences up and it adds up to just under 12" of extra length at the front. I know that you want to believe that the TLX has this huge hood that hangs out 2-3 feet further than the Accord.....but you are wrong.

Now, to be fair, the way that the hood is designed on the TLX means that the driver has very little feel for exactly where that front end is. Most modern cars are kind of annoying in that way though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now, to be fair, the way that the hood is designed on the TLX means that the driver has very little feel for exactly where that front end is.
. At this point it still feels more than a foot, but I’ll drive it more and try to see if I become more comfortable. At this point, though, even if you’re right and I’m wrong, a foot is still a foot. They need to put cross traffic sensors in the front. I’m not a young guy, and I used to drive a ‘75 280z and that was a low car with a huge front (with a longitudinally mounted straight 6) but even I felt the visibility was marginally better in the Z.

·
Registered
137 Posts
. At this point it still feels more than a foot, but I’ll drive it more and try to see if I become more comfortable. At this point, though, even if you’re right and I’m wrong, a foot is still a foot. They need to put cross traffic sensors in the front. I’m not a young guy, and I used to drive a ‘75 280z and even that had a huge front with a longitudinal straight 6, but even I felt the visibility was better in the Z.
I agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing to add some additional technology. And like I said, the way that the hood curves away does make for a lack of feel for wear that nose is at. I've pulled up to walls in a parking garage and the parking sensors are going bonkers and I feel that I should be a long way from the wall but I'm not really all that far.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
6 Posts
I received my TLX "s" the beginning of September, I knew it was not a race car but wanted a more comfortable seat than my toy car, plus they offered me an unbelievable trade in on it, it was a 2014 Focus ST that only had 30,000 miles on it.
NJ potholes destroy low profile tires, so I did not want the 20 inch wheels, the dealership agreed to give me the 19's from a 2020 tech TLX, unfortunately we cant get the TPMS sensors right now, so they lent me 2021 A-Spec wheels.

My only complaints so far are;
The car options like auto lock etc all reset to default one night last week.
None of the puddle lights work.
The splitter scrapes on the road coming out of many parking lots.
The auto windshield wipers come on randomly when the sun hits the windscreen.
The nose is tough to judge and the front sensors wont alert until after you brush the curb.

Other than that, I love the car and it is everything I expected, It is my my first automatic transmission car ever, and I have to say, I am enjoying it. They probably should not have bothered with the paddle shifters.
My last Acura was a 94 Integra GSR 4 door.
I looked at the Genesis/KIA, Audi Volvo and Mercedes before selecting the Acura.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received my TLX "s" the beginning of September, I knew it was not a race car but wanted a more comfortable seat than my toy car, plus they offered me an unbelievable trade in on it, it was a 2014 Focus ST that only had 30,000 miles on it.
NJ potholes destroy low profile tires, so I did not want the 20 inch wheels, the dealership agreed to give me the 19's from a 2020 tech TLX, unfortunately we cant get the TPMS sensors right now, so they lent me 2021 A-Spec wheels.

My only complaints so far are;
The car options like auto lock etc all reset to default one night last week.
None of the puddle lights work.
The splitter scrapes on the road coming out of many parking lots.
The auto windshield wipers come on randomly when the sun hits the windscreen.
The nose is tough to judge and the front sensors wont alert until after you brush the curb.

Other than that, I love the car and it is everything I expected, It is my my first automatic transmission car ever, and I have to say, I am enjoying it. They probably should not have bothered with the paddle shifters.
My last Acura was a 94 Integra GSR 4 door.
I looked at the Genesis/KIA, Audi Volvo and Mercedes before selecting the Acura.
2020 TLX wheels are a different bolt pattern and won't fit any 2021 TLX....

Why couldn't they take the sensors from the factory wheels they are keeping and move them???

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
6 Posts
2020 TLX wheels are a different bolt pattern and won't fit any 2021 TLX....

Why couldn't they take the sensors from the factory wheels they are keeping and move them???
@jwtarbaj They said that the sensors from the 2021 TLX would not fit and that they tried them.
I am now very concerned about the bolt pattern after what you say, I originally wanted the S wheels swapped for the 2021 Tech wheels, when they got them in I googled the part number from a quick snap I got of the box with the wheels and it showed up as a 2020 TLX.Tech
This is starting to sound like a clown show at my Acura dealership, Parts even assured me that this was the correct part for a 2021 Tech package.
Thanks for this info, I am having service try the wheels on a 2021 just to confirm.
I will update you as this saga continues, but I do hate the A-Spec wheels and stock tires, cant wait to get the Pilot 4S's on.

Update;
Service says they are going to check with parts to find out if the 2020 wheels fit 🙄, I googled both wheel sizes and jwtarbaj you are correct, the bolt pattern is different.
I was planning on using the Tech wheels for winter tires anyway, so I just ordered a set of 19x9 inch Vossen HF-5 wheels for summer.
I now suspect that when the TPMS's come in, they are going to mount and balance my P4S's and then they will have to call me to tell me they dont fit and they need to order 2021 Tech wheels, meanwhile I will keep using the loaner wheels/tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
@jwtarbaj They said that the sensors from the 2021 TLX would not fit and that they tried them.
I am now very concerned about the bolt pattern after what you say, I originally wanted the S wheels swapped for the 2021 Tech wheels, when they got them in I googled the part number from a quick snap I got of the box with the wheels and it showed up as a 2020 TLX.Tech
This is starting to sound like a clown show at my Acura dealership, Parts even assured me that this was the correct part for a 2021 Tech package.
Thanks for this info, I am having service try the wheels on a 2021 just to confirm.
I will update you as this saga continues, but I do hate the A-Spec wheels and stock tires, cant wait to get the Pilot 4S's on.

Update;
Service says they are going to check with parts to find out if the 2020 wheels fit 🙄, I googled both wheel sizes and jwtarbaj you are correct, the bolt pattern is different.
I was planning on using the Tech wheels for winter tires anyway, so I just ordered a set of 19x9 inch Vossen HF-5 wheels for summer.
I now suspect that when the TPMS's come in, they are going to mount and balance my P4S's and then they will have to call me to tell me they dont fit and they need to order 2021 Tech wheels, meanwhile I will keep using the loaner wheels/tires.
Good luck getting it all sorted out. All the 19s on the 2021 TLX are the same design except the color so all fit over the Type-S brakes. Can't fathom why the TPMS sensors wouldn't fit from a 20" wheel to a 19"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone!
I got into a 21’ TLX A-Spec SH-AWD a couple of weeks ago, and I love it!
As I've read, like most of us, I came from a 2020 Accord Sport 2.0t 10speed. It is mostly just me in the vehicle most times, so the smaller back seat isnt a big deal to me. Do feel power difference here and there, but the handling of this AWD is amazing. I love the nicer materials and the more luxurious options on this car. I went with the modern steel exterior and the red leather inside. It's stunning, that's for sure. I want to do some small modifications to it, mostly cosmetic. Love seeing everyone’s vehicles too and their own style.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey Everyone!
I got into a 21’ TLX A-Spec SH-AWD a couple of weeks ago, and I love it!
As I've read, like most of us, I came from a 2020 Accord Sport 2.0t 10speed. It is mostly just me in the vehicle most times, so the smaller back seat isnt a big deal to me. Do feel power difference here and there, but the handling of this AWD is amazing. I love the nicer materials and the more luxurious options on this car. I went with the modern steel exterior and the red leather inside. It's stunning, that's for sure. I want to do some small modifications to it, mostly cosmetic. Love seeing everyone’s vehicles too and their own style.
Congrats! I went ahead and made the jump myself (Joined the TLX club. Intro and first impressions from...) and I am absolutely loving it. I look forward to driving the car every chance I can, more so than any other car I've had.

I've got a thing for red cars, but I have to say that MSM looks fantastic with the A-Spec package. Beautiful car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So far, so good for me. As someone else mentioned in this thread, in a vacuum, the TLX is a great car. It does fall short compared to its competitors in some areas though.

However, all things considered, I personally enjoy the balance of performance/comfort that the TLX achieves. I think the suspension is tuned well for my preferences and the power is fine for everyday driving. I enjoy the TLX more as a grand tourer than a sports car, but it can be sporty enough when I want it to be (though better tires would help a ton).

The interior is otherwise wonderful, seats are comfy, and the ELS sound system is fantastic! This car is also quite good-looking on the outside, which I've found I care more about than I thought I would.

I've had German cars before from VW and BMW. I personally believe the Germans make some of the best driver's cars in the world. I had a 2011 BMW 335i that was one of my favorite cars I've ever had (and likely always will be), but it had every single common issue that was discussed in forums for that car.

My family has also had 3 VW GTIs and each one has had their own flaws (though my family has been lucky enough that they've all been reliable for us, actually). Interesting thing about all the BMWs/VWs my family has had: water pumps/thermostats are reported in forums for those cars as common issues/parts that fail. All of them. My BMW 335i ended up having a water pump replaced that failed around ~45k miles.Some owners/enthusiasts even replace them before they fail as a preventative maintenance measure. That 335i would've left me stranded if I hadn't noticed the symptoms sooner. I think it helped that it failed while it was winter too. That turbo inline-6 and the sporty chassis sure was sweet to drive though.

All that said, I'm far less worried about the longer-term reliability of an Acura than I am of any German car I've had or would've otherwise been interested in getting. Edit: I know any car is bound to have some issues too though, of course, but the severity/nature of those issues can make a big difference.

I'll admit the TLX isn't quite as sharp/responsive as those German cars, but it's a really good value and still delivers as a car that drives quite nicely, if you ask me. I think the TLX would compete more closely with its competition if it had better tires from the factory too. The drivetrain could use some tweaking and has room for improvement, but the complaints I read about it or watched on YouTube reviews haven't really panned out based on my experience actually driving it.

I'm leasing the TLX right now though and I've admittedly only had it for a week, so I suppose we'll see how my perspectives develop/change the longer I have it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a 2013 BMW 535xi that I traded in for my TLX. I felt like I was living on borrowed time with the BMW and I was disappointed with the way that the 8 year old car had no technology support from BMW anymore. That said, that 5 series was the best car that I've ever had and very dependable overall. Two gaskets and routine maintenance in 4 and 1/2 years of ownership. There is a reason why the 5 series sells for $20k-30k more than the TLX. They are far better cars. That said, I wouldn't own an older one that I needed to depend on at all.

I do agree that the TLX is a great balance of performance, luxury and price. I'm hoping that the TLX does prove more reliable and that I can be driving it for a while. When my car is out of warranty, I plan on doing a ktune if there isn't a better option.

I did find it interesting that you also had a CX-9.....that's what my wife drives right now.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts