LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Transmission fluid replacement - timing and cost

Recently brought my 2015 TLX AWD (33K miles) into the dealership for a B 1 service. An hour in they came up to me and recommended that I also do the transmission fluid replacement, which "Acura suggests at 30K miles." And they charged me $399 for the transmission fluid replacement service itself. Wouldn't the maintenance minder have indicated if I needed the transmission fluid replaced, and doesn't it seem that doing it at 33K miles is a bit aggressive? Feels as though I've been taken. Have always had my car serviced at this dealer, in fact this is the third Acura I've bought from them and had serviced there in the past 14 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Garage
Here is the maintenance minder schedule for the 2015 TLX. The ď3Ē sub-item calls for the transmission fluid replacement. Having said that, it does talk about changing it sooner depending on driving conditions. Iíll attach a screenshot for reference.

http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2015&model=TLX#mid^UB2F5FKNW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84413FE6-27C9-45D0-A245-1D8AD6A1B7E9.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	21194  
post #3 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I'd seen that the other day. Hence, the "3" maintenance minder would show up when the transmission fluid ought to be changed, right (putting aside this question of changing sooner depending on driving conditions)? Or is that not a maintenance minder that is triggered (as the other ones are, e.g., B 1)? This is exactly the question I'm trying to better understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
The owner's manual implies that you WILL see a notification when a transmission fluid change is due. So you never saw a notification when you approached 30K miles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Bellanova White Pearl
Previously - 2015 TLX 2.4L w/Tech, Basque Red Pearl II
post #5 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
That really is the very point.. There was no notification, merely the B1 service minder. As I sat in the waiting room they said that I should get the transmission fluid change, as I'd hit 33K miles. I was surprised that it would be required or suggested so early, and also had never seen the maintenance minder for transmission fluid change. And then was charged $399 (which, after checking around afterwards, was very high even for an Acura dealer, another dealer in the area quoted me $250). I challenged this whole thing a few days after and they refunded me the $399 but the general manager tried to give me some song and dance about how it wasn't a bad idea to have the fluid changed, that the maintenance minder can't always be trusted, and that $399 was less than other dealers in the area. Obviously he checked with another dealer than I. This is what makes me hate dealing with car dealers altogether, sales or service.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Well they did the right thing by refunding you... but not sure why you MM didn't come on with the next oil change due for the tranny. IMHO it would be normal to change the trany fluid every 30K for standard driving.

What does seem high is the $399. Last time I had it done in our MDX with a dealership it was $150

2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD Advance Graphite
post #7 of 31 Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think 30k is too soon to mess with the transmission. What else did they do besides draining and replacing the fluid? Reminds me of the BMW maintenance program that my 525 was on in the past. Maintenance hogs.

TLXVA
post #8 of 31 Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I think the price is so high with the 9 speed because they use the new ATF 3.x fluid which the MSRP is $36.16 per quart. (3.5 quarts used at change)
In comparison the 8 speed DCT uses the new ATF 2.x which retails for $9.53 per quart. (4.3 quarts used at change)
The old regular Acura/Honda automatic fluid is ATF-DW1 which is $8.30 per quart. (Usually 3 quarts used at change)
There is also one for the CVT but I don't know anything about those.

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech - Graphite Luster Metallic w/Ebony

Last edited by MrMoo; 01-07-2018 at 12:30 AM.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I also thought that 30K was much too early for the first transmission fluid change. Another dealer I called (the day after) basically said "unless the maintenance minder light came on for a "3" service, or if you'd been having transmission issues, you should not have had the fluid replaced that early. Usually it's (the first transmission fluid replacement) done at 60K, maybe 50K, and THEN every 30K thereafter. This is what has really made me angry. This is the third Acura I've bought from this dealer, always had the cars serviced there, and now I feel that there's no way I can trust them again. Not only was their service far more expensive than elsewhere, it was also not needed. So while I think that refunding my money was the right "general manager trying to fix a problem with one customer" thing to do, I also think that any customer who brings their Acura in for service needs to be more careful and less trusting. Caveat emptor. I'm never going back there. Still love my Acura, hate my dealer.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think there are many ideas around if/when to replace transmission fluid. I have had many cars that I have never replaced the fluid, or tranny flush. I think 30k is ridiculous. Talk with a transmission place and ask them. Some people say you should rarely replace as when you flush, the seatings can dry out. What about filter? flush? I am not sure what I would do, but definitely not at 30. Maybe 100.
Stuart Sadick likes this.

TLXVA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List