Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
We are finally getting some attention. My concern is that it may evolve into finger pointing.

And if Acura's software cant override ZF's hardware, then we are stuck...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I see this as a huge positive. At least it is being talked about.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is my one concern about the TLX... when I read about issues I find another review that the car has been performing great. Has to be driver style related. I was going to wait to purchase a 2016 TLX but now after seeing this link, I think it will not matter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Couple of good points in the article, including how to train the transmission by using a range of driving styles early in ownership vs one driving style. I had not read that before. Also the point by the author that key fob matched to driver style to make multi-driver car more custom for each driver.

I have to believe that Acura is working on this pretty hard since the 9 speed in now also in the MDX and may expand into other cars as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad to see this is finally being acknowledged. I have both the TLX and the Jeep Cherokee V6 Limited (wife's car) - both of which have the ZF transmission and the rough shift into 3rd. The two vehicles feel identical when driving them.

FCA has been struggling to find a solution for over a year but they have not figured anything out yet. They recently came out with a TSB for the Cherokee that is supposed to help, but I'm going to wait until more people get it done before I take mine in. I do agree with the article that it is likely more of a software issue due to manufacturer's (Jeep/Acura) programming than a hardware issue.

It's disappointing because I love both of my cars, but the transmission issue makes them feel less refined. It wasn't a huge change for me from switching to the TLX from the Jeep, but I could understand the frustration for those that have never experienced the rough shifts before - it's something I've just become used to in the Jeep before I switched to the TLX.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
My insider notes that this ZF transmission has little documentation that Honda/Acura can "tweek." As this transmission finds its way into more vehicles, they will get more leverage on correcting issues.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My sis-in-laws Cherokee drives like absolute a$$ compared to my TLX with regards to the tranny. Personally, I only find my TLX shifts poorly is when Eco or Normal is selected. Feels so slow and lazy to shift. The Sport modes are much better but more aggressive. So I do agree with the article. An "italian test drive" really wakes it up lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@mikejd44 - I believe the Jeep transmission is actually a Chrysler build based upon the ZF spec with a FCA software overlay (I read that somewhere that they actually build the transmission), where the Acura transmission is the actual purchased ZF unit with a software overlay.

Which could be a HUGE issue for FCA (they have a history of tranny's going south in a BIG way, more so the HA).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently had mine in for it's first service - A1. They reflashed my transmission (said it is now standard - at my dealership). When I got it back it felt completely like a different beast (I purchased it after many 'OTHERS' test drove the car). I have noticed that the 2-3 shift was almost not there. I the past few weeks it has gotten a WHOLE LOT BETTER, more to my style of driving. I have been using ALL modes and varying the style in each mode (they mentioned that I should do this when I picked up the vehicle - and this article supports that). It's still in training (for me), I need to take it for a LOONNNGGGG run.

I recently got 25.7 MPG using various modes on between fill-ups (city & highway mix).

·
Registered
666 Posts
A LOONNNGGGGrun should involve a lot of stops and starts. Doing a few hundred miles in 9th gear does nothing to help train the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Nascart - I believe you are correct, Chrysler is building the transmissions, but the problem is still software related in the Jeep. The issues with the software have put extreme loads on the transmissions and has been causing them to fail. On their recent RO1 update for the Jeep, FCA completely eliminated 2nd gear, hoping that would help resolve the issue. As you could imagine, it only made the driving experience worse from crawling up a hill in 3rd gear to getting a lunge from a complete stop due to a 3-1 shift. The TLX's transmission has been a lot better than my Jeep - hopefully Honda can fine tune it in the near future.

I'm taking my TLX into the dealer in a couple weeks for the Park gear recall - do you know what "flash" they performed on your transmission? I'd like to ask them about it when I'm there...

Reactions: Nascart

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Country of Origin: Transmission

@mikejd44 - I believe the Jeep transmission is actually a Chrysler build based upon the ZF spec with a FCA software overlay (I read that somewhere that they actually build the transmission), where the Acura transmission is the actual purchased ZF unit with a software overlay...
From the sticker in the window for my TLX:

FOR THIS VEHICLE
Final Assembly Point:
Marysville, Ohio USA
Country of Origin: Engine:
U.S.A.
Transmission:
U.S.A.
So I appears that Honda/Acura builds this transmission versus a purchase complete from ZF in Germany.
Here's their web page with their promo video

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@gary325 - I believe that ZF has a factory here in the US i think its in the Carolinas somewhere. A does not build these transmissions, the purchased them or they are built by ZF to an A spec. Where FCA is building the tranny's based on ZF parts.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/c...tates_locations/united_states_zfworldwide.jsp

ZF Transmissions Gray Court LLC

2846 North Old Laurens Road
Gray Court, SC 29645
Phone: + 1 864 601 2500

*** better yet:

http://www.zf.com/usa_canada/en_us/...gray_court_folder_us/zfmig_gray_court_us.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Nascart
On their recent RO1 update for the Jeep, FCA completely eliminated 2nd gear, hoping that would help resolve the issue.
WOW that is crazy! In a Jeep that is know for its hill climbing abilities. If anything get rid of 9th in the Jeep.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@mikejd - "flash" since the tranny is completely electronic (chips), they get erased/re-loaded = flashed with new software (it takes about 5 hours to do this, plus config time).

So just like when you re-load your computer - erase and re-load your OS. I don't know exactly was version of the transmission software was or now is in my transmission. But tell them about the bad shift and you have heard that some dealers are performing a software upgrade on the transmissions. If they don't, call ACR or contact them via email (that way you have it on record - i contact them this way ONLY)

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
@gary325 - I believe that ZF has a factory here in the US i think its in the Carolinas somewhere...
You looked deeper into their site. I just watched their videos...

So I would guess that Chrysler/Jeep buys it from them too. Building these things cannot be easy...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@TLX2014 - my loonnnggg runs involve a mutlitude of gearing and playing in the triple digits sometimes for a bit

I remember back in the late 80's taking my Mazada MX6GT for a long run in Mexcio on Rt1 tapping 134. Ah the joys!

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
948TE (Chrysler-built version of 9HP48)

Chrysler is building the transmissions in two plants in Indiana (Kokomo and Tipton), thanks to over $843 million in plant investments and licensing from ZF.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF9.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chrysler_transmissions
Nice research. I must now get back to work!! Went home to swap cars. The ride back (in the TLX) went a little longer than normal...
You gotta love that little tug on the seat belt went you "spirit" through those corners!!

Reactions: Nascart
1 - 20 of 25 Posts