Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So as a lot of the first gen owners know, the KF 9-speed Acura put in the TLX was bad. It jerks a lot, especially in Sport+ mode. I understand a little tug with an aggressive shifting algorithm, because you're almost engine braking, but it has always been a problem. So when I got my mom's TLX when I turned 16, I noticed there was something called Sport+. So of course I try it out and I notice it's a little jerky, so I put it back in normal. I didn't know anything about cars at the time, so I just thought that was how it worked. Fast forward to now, and I'm driving to go meet with some friends and I'm coming to a stop going down a hill (in the normal IDS setting) and this thing downshifts from 3rd to 2nd and kicks up the revs and pulls forward, almost making me rear-end someone else. So I figured it was time to go maybe get that looked at. So I hop on here and start doing some more research. I find out about TSB16-012, TSB 15-040 (Which interestingly does not include my VIN despite it describing another transmission problem pretty well), and most importantly TSB 17-027, which extends the warranty on the transmission to 10 years unlimited mileage after the purchase date. Within the bulletin it states that the warranty only applies to cases where the warmer fails and causes a mixture of coolant and ATF. But I've heard elsewhere, both on Acurazine and on here that Acura actually covers the entire transmission under this extended warranty.

If you ask me, it seems like Acura knows the transmissions are defective and have several issues, and is unwillingly to admit it. Reading the TSB makes it very clear that they are trying to find a way to "fix" the problem. First, the transmission warmer had to have been built in this 11 week period in 2015 to even qualify. Then, they will only cover the replacement if the coolant and ATF mixed.

They basically said "Hey, we know there is this problem with the transmissions that several people have complained about, so if your engine overheats or transmission blows, let us know and we may fix it for free"

Yet, on another letter I found about the extended warranty, it states "American Honda is extending the warranty on the engine and transmission to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit. This warranty extension provides coverage for the current owner and any subsequent owners. No action is required on your part unless you experience a problem. The warranty extension is valid except for any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded, or similar title under any state's law."

So does anyone know what they will actually cover? Because I don't have 3 grand to drop on a new transmission, since Acura Care refuses to recognize it as a "Mechanical or Electrical failure" despite the fact that it could cause safety issues if not taken care of.

Registered
That TSB update made my transmission a lot jerkier on my '18 TLX A-Spec V6. I've also experienced the weird downshift many times where it almost feels like you're letting go of the brake and hitting the gas. The only thing I like about this transmission is the fact that it gives me crazy mpgs while cruising on the highway. I hit 37mpg while cruising at 76MPH and the A/C on. Though, I'm ready to give up those high mpgs for a smoother ride and pretty sure my neck would love that as well 馃槱

1 - 3 of 3 Posts