Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I should be receiving my new V6 TLX SH-AWD in the next two or three days. I've been reading in this forum about using Opti-coat as one option to protect paint. When I called the dealership, I asked if they had a paint protection product that they install, and they said that they install Xzilon, and that about 25% of their customers have that installed.

Does anyone have experience with this product when it's been professional installed and how does it compare to other products out there?

I saw this website: Xzilon® Molecular Adhesion

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did a lot of research before having my car Opti-coated. My experience (and I worked as a Honda Salesperson for two years) is that the paint sealants at car dealerships are just profit makers, most dealerships will not have the talent nor spend the time needed to do a proper job. The latest trend for people with high end cars that care about their paint is to go right to a high end detailer with the protective sheets still on the paint and have them do the prep on the exterior. Do some google research and see some of the horror stories of dealers destroying (scratches, swirls etc) with their half assed wash methods. In fact anytime I drop one of my cars off for service I tell them NOT to wash it. As I stated in another post the detailers with the talent to do proper paint correction are using Opti-coat, Cquartz and 22ple for sealants. There are probably other quality products but these are the ones I kept coming across. Opti-coat was developed by one of the lead chemists at PPG - the company that manufactures automotive paint. When I dropped my car off to be done the detailer had just finished a Porsche 918 Spyder ($845,000) was working on a Rolls Royce and had a variety of BMWs, Mercedes etc - so I knew I was in good hands. If you are a type A fanatic like I am I would avoid the dealer. Type A fanatic definition: hand washing your car in 42 degree weather when you have the flu so you can post pictures on the TLX forum ;-)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do some google research and see some of the horror stories of dealers destroying (scratches, swirls etc) with their half assed wash methods. In fact anytime I drop one of my cars off for service I tell them NOT to wash it. When I dropped my car off to be done the detailer had just finished a Porsche 918 Spyder ($845,000) was working on a Rolls Royce and had a variety of BMWs, Mercedes etc - so I knew I was in good hands. If you are a type A fanatic like I am I would avoid the dealer. Type A fanatic definition: hand washing your car in 42 degree weather when you have the flu so you can post pictures on the TLX forum ;-)
REAL. LIFE. When I got my car back Friday, it had water spots and you could see where they had gotten lazy and missed the middle of the hood and trunk. Love my dealer, but when I take it back today, I will definitely ask them not to wash it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.