Acura TLX Forum banner

Would you recommend the TLX to new buyers right now?

• Yes

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 27.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question: Would you recommend the TLX I-4 Tech to your friends/family?

I was almost ready to purchase about a week ago and then coming here and reading about the transmission issues really makes me nervous. I am a recent college grad & this is going to be first big purchase and also first brand new car, so maybe i am a little gun shy. Always drove one & two year old car's before now.

Drove the car, and i thought it felt a little jerky in the lower gears. Hard to tell with one test drive whether i was subconsciously imagining it since i read so much about or if the issue was truly there. :)

Spoke to the folks at Acura Carland in Duluth, GA who claims to not know of anything about transmission problems on the TLX and no cars in their service department with the issue. How could that be for a car with so many people complaining about the transmission.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Get the v6 sh-awd instead lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would definitely recommend the TLX to friends and family. You can have problems with any car that you buy. Personally I am a big fan of Acura and much of it has to do with how they have treated me any time I have had a problem. I would much rather have an Acura with a problem than many other brands because I am confident they will stand behind their product. For example, Acura had a well known transmission issue in the early 2000s that affected the 3.2 TL. They kept extending the warranty on it and eventually it got to something like 7 years/160,000 km. I can't remember anymore, but my 2000 TL tranny was replaced at around 7 years 120,000 km at no cost to me. Not a lot of other companies would do that with absolutely no hassle.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I was almost ready to purchase about a week ago and then coming here and reading about the transmission issues really makes me nervous. I am a recent college grad & this is going to be first big purchase and also first brand new car, so maybe i am a little gun shy. Always drove one & two year old car's before now.

Drove the car, and i thought it felt a little jerky in the lower gears. Hard to tell with one test drive whether i was subconsciously imagining it since i read so much about or if the issue was truly there. :)

Spoke to the folks at Acura Carland in Duluth, GA who claims to not know of anything about transmission problems on the TLX and no cars in their service department with the issue. How could that be for a car with so many people complaining about the transmission.
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed your first post.

I would definitely recommend the TLX. I enjoy driving it every day. I have about 4,300 miles on the car and really like the smooth, quiet, agile drive.

I got the I4 because I heard it was fun to drive and might save money on gas. I have had 4-cylinder cars since 1984, so why change.

There is a lot of technology in the car, so if the person is not technically inclined, I would say get the base. Since I live and breathe technology, minus facebook and twitter, I love the gadgets.

Luckily I have only seen one issue that was resolved on the second visit to the dealer. My tranny is fine.

Since the car has the nice, fancy LED headlights and all of this new technology, I decided to lease. If it doesn't work out, I can turn it in. I have always bought before but the leasing offer was too good to pass up. I wasn't sure if the tech gadgets would last and/or fall out of favor. A lot can happen in three years. I do enjoy the headlights as they really indicate that you are driving a new, unique car. :twocents: :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It pains me to answer this question

Spoke to the folks at Acura Carland in Duluth, GA who claims to not know of anything about transmission problems on the TLX and no cars in their service department with the issue. How could that be for a car with so many people complaining about the transmission.[/QUOTE

My TLX is the 5th Acura I have driven, and I have to say, I am the least satisfied with this car. Transmission that I have in the I4 with the tech package is just awful. The rest of the car is terrific, but I can't get past the jerking and surging as I come to a stop. I would wait a year until the replace the transmission in the TLX.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm the lone wolf who voted no. Personally, I'd say not right now. Just too many random issues. I'd have them wait another year, or go find my TSX lease that I traded!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm on the fence at this point for reasons I've posted before. I love the thing but will wait until I see if those issues are finally resolved. Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Depends exactly what they are looking for. For the price that the TLX is at I think that it is a good purchase. If they were looking to spend a bit more or a bit less I would likely point them in a different direction though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Right now is the key phrase for me. I think that they have to get these transmission issues resolved. Really curious on how widespread the issues on the i4 and V6 are. Sounds like if you have it then it is very bothersome and if you don't then the car is great. The poll on this site at least among those who came and participated (which admittedly is a very unrandom sample) shows that the issues are significant in number.

Actually heading over to my local dealer to take another test-drive in the SH-AWD version.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would recommend it and at the most i would suggest they test drive one and know all the necessary things they need to and of course compare to all their other options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts