Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain how to override the intermittent wiper auto mode? I see that there are 4 modes for the windshield wipers: OFF, AUTO, LO, & HI. However, there is an adjustment ring for the AUTO mode which has 4 different speeds (slow to fast). These seem to have no effect since AUTO chooses its own speed. Although the AUTO mode works fairly well there are times (such as light snow) where I need to increase the intermittent speed (but not go to LO speed). Am I missing something?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have found that setting intermittent to fast will be just about equivalent to LO at more than about 25 mph. Backing off slightly should achieve the setting you require.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this mean that the adjustment ring setting is the minimum wiper speed in AUTO mode? In other words, if the adjustment ring is set the the slowest speed, then the on-board computer can increase wiper speed if needed? However, if the adjustment ring is set to the fastest speed (just slower than LO) then the on-board computer cannot slow the wiper speed down? This would seem logical but I'm not sure that's what is happening.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh oh. I totally messed up on my previous response. If you have a base TLX then the functions are OFF, INT, LOW, and HI and my previous response applies. If you have a TECH or higher then INT is replaced by AUTO. In this case the adjustment ring selects when the wipers come on and how frequently based on the amount of rain. Adjusting the ring should allow you to fine tune when the wipers operate (not how fast or slow).

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wipers on Auto are just very confused and have a mind of there own. Once they start going they are ok, However it's very random as to when they decided to start. Sometimes i get a lot of rain or snow before it starts or i have to manually start them and other time it's nice and sunny and they decide to go on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My wipers on Auto are just very confused and have a mind of there own. Once they start going they are ok, However it's very random as to when they decided to start. Sometimes i get a lot of rain or snow before it starts or i have to manually start them and other time it's nice and sunny and they decide to go on.
Yeap, I've had the same experience with my TLX.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Surprisingly, my wipers behave themselves quite well. I do wish they would start earlier when rain hits the windshield and stop earlier when the rain has stopped, but otherwise I let them run free. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's brutal.
But it also is something that begs for investigation into other systems from other car makers to see what it's like in them, which then further action can be taken to influence the chances of us getting a better working system.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What is brutal (you did not quote anything)? Based on the behavior of the wipers on my car there is very little that even needs to be tweaked. Yes, they occasionally swipe one or twice when driving from the cold outside into my heated underground parking. It must be a combination of some condensation and reduced lighting. Not a big deal. Otherwise they work just fine.

I am not denying that others are having some issues. My MB does not have a variable setting and it is set to auto 95% of the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't bought my TLX yet so I can't comment on its Auto wipers. However, my wife's car is a 2011 Toyota Avalon with rain sensing wipers. The Avalon shows the same type of erratic behavior. Sometimes the wipers will take a swipe or two on a clear day, or wait way too long to start wiping. Fog is especially problematic; we almost always are forced to manually wipe in dense fog, after which the auto sensor seems to get the hint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts