Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a set of winter tires (17”) and rims for my TLX. Heard Michelin Xi3 are quite good. Any suggestions/opinions ?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I got those, really awesome!! For ice its great, snow, not as amazing, but you can't really have pest of both worlds. The best part, they're very quiet, and comfortable. I would highly recommend them

·
Registered
7 Posts
What 17" rims are you getting for the TLX? I read on another forum that the rims from a 2004 -2008 TL will also fit the TLX. My dealership did not have any rims in stock but found a rim listed in their book that fitted both cars as long as the TL was not a Type S.

Also heard that Costco was getting a trailer full o Michelins for their sale!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking about a 5 spoke pattern aftermarket from Fast Wheels, I think will go with black given the color of the car. Alternatively, if I can get some used from Craigslits/kijiji I will strongly consider that route as well.
Have not checked with the dealer yet but got a quote from an aftermarket folks for a set of Xi3s with aluminum rims for $1520 - 13% tax, installation, balancing all in. Need to spend probably about $250 for the set of TPMS sensors on top of that.
The same set but with Blizzaks Ws80 is 120 bucks less.
Still need to check at Costco.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The rims from the 2004-2008 TL will fit the TLX. I found a set I want to buy for winter, but the TPMS system is making me hesitate. Anyone know how the system in the 2004-2008 TL works? I've read that some Acura systems have "initiating" sensors that broadcast the signal so no TPMS programming of the car is necessary when changing wheels (the car automatically recognizes which wheels are on what corner of the car). I'm wondering if the 2004-2008 TL sensors will be recognized by the TLX?

If they are it will be simple to change my winter rims on and off without the PITA programming at the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe that you will have to get a new set of TPMS sensors. Apparently, the TL sensors will not work with the TLX. Sounds like it's a $250. cost but you'll have to buy them regardless of what rims you buy or use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The rims from the 2004-2008 TL will fit the TLX. I found a set I want to buy for winter, but the TPMS system is making me hesitate. Anyone know how the system in the 2004-2008 TL works? I've read that some Acura systems have "initiating" sensors that broadcast the signal so no TPMS programming of the car is necessary when changing wheels (the car automatically recognizes which wheels are on what corner of the car). I'm wondering if the 2004-2008 TL sensors will be recognized by the TLX?

If they are it will be simple to change my winter rims on and off without the PITA programming at the dealer.
If you're buying the TL rims from someone local, maybe you could meet up with them and just change one tire to see if you get any sort of error. Even if you know it'll work, I would suggest doing a test fit just to make sure the bolt pattern and hub bore are the same. Also, if the sensors aren't compatible, you could always replace them with new ones and try to sell the old ones to someone who still has a TL.

·
Registered
438 Posts
with the first flurries just starting to appear in toronto this past weekend, starting to look into winter tires for my TLX, saw this at my dealer. good deal or not?

seem to include TPMS too, but the only issue is, not sure if its actually ICE3 or ICE2 (big print says ICE3 but fine print says ICE2)

and what happens if i drive the car without TPMS? as in buying a set of OEM steelies and winter tires but no TPMS

·
Registered
666 Posts
Different bolt pattern between the TL and TLX so different rims. If you want Xice3 then ask for that. I got 18" alloys (winter rated) with Xice3 from my dealer for ~$2,100 + tax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a good deal, my dealer quotes 1800$ cad all in for tires (x-ice3), rims, tpms and mount/balance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Winter tires

I was hoping to use 225/55 R17 tires on steel rims with the SH-AWD model. I assume that the 17x7.5J rims will fit on this model. Does anyone know what the PCD is for this model? Are there any other information required so that I will purchase the correct rims?

·
Registered
438 Posts
looks like its a Xi2 not ice3 in the ad i showed you guys

the fine print says 224/65R17 and michelin only offers ice2 for that aspect ratio

whats the difference between ice2 and ice3?

·
Registered
438 Posts
i also wonder how much it costs for the dealer to swap the tires during a season change over? do we need to the dealer for this or are can i swap them at any tire shops for probably cheaper?

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Any tire shop can do the swap for you. Probably cheaper too. Just maybe make sure it's a reputable place. You don't want them making a mess of your rims.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't have the TPMS installed on my MDX winter tires. Every time I started the car I would get a message in the MID. It stays in the MID until you scroll off it, but it doesn't keep popping up like the Low Washer Fluid, etc warnings

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.