Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, my 2020 TLX SH-AWD and two of its close friends went into winter hibernation in our 2 car garage. It was just in time before the last two big snowfalls arrived. Here’s a photo....

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
Two days ago, my 2020 TLX SH-AWD and two of its close friends went into winter hibernation in our 2 car garage. It was just in time before the last two big snowfalls arrived. Here’s a photo....
So what do you drive while those are in hibernation?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a 2018 Pilot Touring with SH-AWD. With the COVID-19 lockdown it doesn’t make sense having 2 cars in the driveway when one is barely getting used.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
I also have a 2018 Pilot Touring with SH-AWD. With the COVID-19 lockdown it doesn’t make sense having 2 cars in the driveway when one is barely getting used.
Nice option! Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pilot is like the SUV version of the TLX in a lot of ways. Quirky shifting ZF9 included. The TLX does have the most comfortable seats I’ve ever experienced, even in cars costing 3 times the price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s “dark chrome” that Acura put on the A-Spec in 2020, and the photo was after sunset, so probably looks a lot darker than it actually is. I have trouble keeping the “dark chrome” looking good, (it tends to discolour easily if you use certain products on it), I would probably go with gloss black and paint the grille to match.

·
Super Moderator
785 Posts
I have a three car garage and on occasion store 4 cars inside. I put one car on the lift and then drive in a vehicle under the lift. Just a thought should you need more room for a fourth vehicle storage.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
It’s “dark chrome” that Acura put on the A-Spec in 2020, and the photo was after sunset, so probably looks a lot darker than it actually is. I have trouble keeping the “dark chrome” looking good, (it tends to discolour easily if you use certain products on it), I would probably go with gloss black and paint the grille to match.
BTW - forgot to ask - is there a reason why you had the hood popped in the photo? Are you storing it that way on purpose?

Reactions: #11

·
Super Moderator
785 Posts
I also wondered about that. If you look close you can see an electrical cord running into the engine compartment. Most likely a battery trickle charger.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
I also wondered about that. If you look close you can see an electrical cord running into the engine compartment. Most likely a battery trickle charger.
Ah, now I see it!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW - forgot to ask - is there a reason why you had the hood popped in the photo? Are you storing it that way on purpose?
It’s because I need the clearance because I’ve got the battery maintainer connected with clips. I will change that to ring terminals then the hood can close completely.

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX 3.5L V6 FWD P-AWS Modern Steel Metallic
9 Posts
I agree with your decision to not to drive TLX the winter, I don't drive my in the winter (or the rain)
I will take it on short trips after a couple rain falls have washed salt off roads, and then I will wash it and dry it
The reason I like to drive it on short trips is to keep the oil film on all it's parts, I don't believe in letting vehicles sit too long due risk of inadequate lubrication upon start up

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think your car looks great, I am guessing it is Crystal Black Pearl paint?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with your decision to not to drive TLX the winter, I don't drive my in the winter (or the rain)
I will take it on short trips after a couple rain falls have washed salt off roads, and then I will wash it and dry it
The reason I like to drive it on short trips is to keep the oil film on all it's parts, I don't believe in letting vehicles sit too long due risk of inadequate lubrication upon start up
I have stored two other cars for longer periods during the last 25 years without starting the engine and haven’t had any issues. With those two, I will pull the ECU fuse and crank the engine several times to circulate oil, then put the ECU fuse back and start it up normally. The TLX is different though with the 9 speed transmission and push button starting. I’ll probably just start it normally in the spring or end up with a bunch MIL codes.

·
Super Moderator
785 Posts
Personally I look forward to bad weather (snow and ice) with my TLX. The SHAWD is great and one of the main reasons I purchased this vehicle. I MUST get to work everyday rain, snow, ice, mud or shine. The TLX is fantastic in all these conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My uncle has a Honda Prelude which is a beautiful car and he also prefers to crank the engine while ignition is disabled to build oil pressure throughout the engine as he doesn't get a chance to drive car much
I really like the push button start and shift but I'm new to them and wouldn't feel comfortable cranking the engine with a push button instead of a traditional key ignition ...what if it cranks and never stops??? lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My uncle has a Honda Prelude which is a beautiful car and he also prefers to crank the engine while ignition is disabled to build oil pressure throughout the engine as he doesn't get a chance to drive car much
I really like the push button start and shift but I'm new to them and wouldn't feel comfortable cranking the engine with a push button instead of a traditional key ignition ...what if it cranks and never stops??? lol
Some things are gimmicks and some are actual progress. The push button start is too much complication for a car like the Prelude that always was a technical innovation showcase. Granted that the Prelude had a lot of niceties and creature comforts for its heydays, but it was always down to business.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts