Acura TLX Forum banner

Windshield speckled defects

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hmbecker3 
#1 ·
I bought a 2019 TLX AWD, loaded. At first I thought there was something on the front windshield because I had noticed some tree sap on the paint. So I cleaned it all up and didn't think about it until lately when I've been driving east in the morning and west at night. I found that when the Sun hits the windshield at an angle not quite direct on, these little crystal-like specs in the windshield make it very difficult to see through it.
I took the car to the dealer the end of November and they told me to come back last Friday to meet with the Acura factory rep. Without talking to me, the factory rep made the decision that it was caused by road debris. When the service tech came out and told me this I asked to speak to the rep because this was a bunch of B.S.. I had the same problem on the side windows. So unless I was driving down the road with the doors open I don't see how the road debris caused this problem. I'm easily able to highlight the defects in the windshield using a laser. There are hundreds of defects per square inch.

I was a little frustrated so I called the dealership manager and of course this person didn't call me back. The service manager called me back at the end of the day, apologized for not coming out to talk to me and said that the factory rep avoids talking directly to customers and leaves it up to them. He explained that he saw the defects and had driven the car around with the factory rub so that they could get various angles because it was somewhat rainy that day it took them a little bit of time, but ultimately he acknowledged the problem.

The service manager said I should submit it to my car insurance and they would pay my deductible. I told them this was crazy because there's no way road debris caused the front windshield and it was nearly impossible for it to cause the defects in the passenger window as well. I also mentioned he was suggesting that I perpetrate insurance fraud for what was clearly a defect in the windshield.

I have a call in to Acura customer service. This isn't something I can live with. I guess my point in posting this is to understand if others have noticed this problem as well. I've seen it on some of the older cars in the Forum.

Jerry

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under these circumstances that you are posting. Have not heard of this problem. Keep on Acura customer service. Is it just the windshield and passenger window or all the glass surrounding the car? Keep us posted on the progress with your complaint.

#3 ·
well, I know it is the windshield and the passenger window for sure as even my wife noticed it so that says something right there. I'll look at the drivers window once the sun come out in Northern California again, maybe May. I'll have to find a parking lot to be able to position the car for that window. I'm not worried about the side windows, just the windshield.
I'm not going to drop it as like I mentioned, when the sun hits the windshield at an oblique angle it becomes difficult to see through it.

Jerry

#4 ·
I have a 2019 and had the same situation for the first 6 months. My windows were clean, but if the light hit it just right, it became hard to see, kind of like there was water and sunshine on the window or a thousand small scratches. After reading your post I realized I have not seen it in probably a year. So maybe it is some type of film that finally wore off. It use to really bother me, but haven't noticed it in a long time. So hopefully it will go away.

#5 ·
I had basically the same issue with a 2008 TL. It wasn't an issue at first but over time it was hard to see out if the light was hitting the windshield, and it also was a problem in the rain. The dealer used a clay bar on it, he and I tried all sorts of things, no luck. "Fortunately" for me, a car ahead of me on the freeway throw up a 4X8 sheet of drywall laying on the roadway and it took out the windshield. Insurance covered half of the replacement, and the problem was solved. I have not had the same issue with my 2016 TLX, although I do have to clay bar it every once in a while. I don't know where Acura gets its glass, but quality control is an issue.

#6 ·
I got scientific with it. I can shine a laser in the window at an oblique angle and pick the defects out. There are hundreds per square inch, not on the surface but embedded in the glass. It's hard to tell if they are on the safety sheet or not.

My window is so bad that others in the car have asked me to run the wipers because it looks like very light rain on the window at times.

Here's my point to them: can I see through the windshield all the time? yes; does it obstruct the view at a level that would cause a safety issue? probably not; Is it very, very annoying? yes.

I'm waiting for Acura to get back to me and then I'll go from there.

#7 ·
I got scientific with it. I can shine a laser in the window at an oblique angle and pick the defects out. There are hundreds per square inch, not on the surface but embedded in the glass. It's hard to tell if they are on the safety sheet or not.

My window is so bad that others in the car have asked me to run the wipers because it looks like very light rain on the window at times.

Here's my point to them: can I see through the windshield all the time? yes; does it obstruct the view at a level that would cause a safety issue? probably not; Is it very, very annoying? yes.

I'm waiting for Acura to get back to me and then I'll go from there.
I wonder if any of this has to do with the acoustic treatment in the TLX glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.