Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 TLX 3.5 V-6 Tech Pkg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-navi V6 TLX and generally turn the A/C off manually in colder months and allow everything else to be controlled automatically.

The Owner's Manual states on page 206:
Pressing the Front Windshield Defrost button turns the air conditioning system on and automatically switches the system to fresh air mode.
Press the Front Windshield Defrost button again to turn off, the system returns to the previous settings.

When I activate the Front Windshield Defrost button the air flow is directed to the windshield and the A/C remains off -- it does not turn on. Pushing the button again returns the system to Full Auto with A/C turned on -- it does not return the system to previous settings. This is just the opposite of what is indicated in the Owner's Manual and opposite of what I'm used to in previous Acuras.

Is anyone else having this issue? Or, can someone try it out and see what the behavior is in their TLX? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would assume the A/C does come on in defrost mode even though the A/C light doesn't come on. You should be able to tell as with A/C on any interior condensation evaporates within seconds if the A/C is on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would assume the A/C does come on in defrost mode even though the A/C light doesn't come on. You should be able to tell as with A/C on any interior condensation evaporates within seconds if the A/C is on.
No, the A/C definitely does not come on, nor does the A/C light. It only blows warm, humid air onto the windshield. Only after turning the Defrost mode off does the A/C kick in and I can feel distinctly dehumidified and cooled air blowing through the ports.

On a 2nd test of this I manually turned on the A/C while in Defrost mode and it was obvious that the A/C turned on at that time and almost immediately cleared the windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
have you by any chance taken it into your dealer as yet to see what they might have to say to you about it or do about it?
I just noticed it this afternoon so haven't yet been to the dealer. I only have 600 miles on the car so I'm going to wait a while to see if anything else crops up before taking it in.

I'm also interested in knowing what others may have experienced to see if it is a general problem or something specific to my car. I really suspect it's a logic issue with the software or firmware in the climate control electronics. If it is, then I'm sure I'm not the only one with the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Do you shut the AC off when you're in defrost mode before you switch to another setting? Does it do the same if you leave AC on while in defrost and switch to another mode and then go back to defrost?

I think I confused myself. Lol. I'm just wondering if it remembers the last setting in defrost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you shut the AC off when you're in defrost mode before you switch to another setting? Does it do the same if you leave AC on while in defrost and switch to another mode and then go back to defrost?

I think I confused myself. Lol. I'm just wondering if it remembers the last setting in defrost.
The few times that I played with this, the A/C was off, but all other settings were in Auto mode. Turning on Defrost Mode did not turn on the A/C as it should. Turning off Defrost mode put the system into Full Auto with A/C on. It should have returned the system to A/C off. It's sort of backwards from what is supposed to happen. The logical thing would be to turn on the A/C if it was off, or leave it on if it was already on, to clear the windshield quickly. Then when turned off it should return the system to whatever state it was in previously... just as the Owner's Manual states. Instead, it keeps the A/C in whatever state it was in to begin with, and then sets the system to Full Auto including A/C on when Defrost mode is turned off.

Still very curious to know what others experience given these same settings.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Understood. It was just a suggestion thinking the AC had gotten shut off in the defrost mode somehow and the car remembers that setting.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my issue is that the A/C doesn't come on in Defrost Mode when A/C was previously set to off. So since it's not on, I can't turn it off while in Defrost Mode. :( Plus, the car isn't remembering that A/C was set to off initially and is turning A/C on when I turn Defrost Mode off.

Confusing, I know.... :) But it's not working as it should. Not a huge deal, so I'm not making a special trip to the dealer just for this.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from other owners whether or not they are seeing the same behavior. I think the Acura engineers want us to use all of the Auto Modes that are available and not deviate from Auto with manual adjustments, and such. It could be that they have decided that all this stuff should only work as stated in the manual if we use Full Auto Mode all the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an I4 Tech and normally turn off the a/c during winter months. When I turned on front defrost, i didn't notice if the a/c light came on. However, because of the speed on how quick the window cleared up, I am positive a/c unit was on.

When I switched off the front defrost, the system went back to to automatic instead of returning to the previous setting (a/c manually turned off).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I switched off the front defrost, the system went back to to automatic instead of returning to the previous setting (a/c manually turned off).
Thank you for posting. That's exactly what mine is doing when Defrost is turned off. I've found that if I have any other manual settings, in addition to the A/C being turned off, the system returns to those manual settings except for the A/C. It's as if the system doesn't recognize that A/C was off previously, but does recognize other manual settings.

Another thing that I've found is that my wife's 2014 TL does the same thing, so this may be "normal" behavior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.