Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading about the TLX today, and hearing that it is basically just a really nice Accord. Are the cars really that similar? How much nicer of an Accord are we talking about here?

Honda Accord

Acura

(pictures are of concepts that could become the Acura TLX)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think it's too early to jump to conclusion and say it will just be a really nice Accord, Acura is guilty of doing that but there's a very good chance the TLX can be something completely unique, much like the RLX.

From what i've seen there's been very little information on the TLX, no solid info to say what it will actually be like, just speculation and rumors.

·
Registered
317 Posts
came across this today....

Acura is in the midst of a major product revamp and new details are starting to emerge about the 2015 TLX.
Set be launched next summer, the TL successor will continue to be a fancy Honda as it will reportedly be based on the new Accord. This isn't much of a surprise but it should result in a smaller model with a shorter wheelbase.
Engine options remain unconfirmed but the most likely candidate is the company's 3.5-liter V6 that develops 310 bhp (231 kW) and 272 lb-ft (368 Nm) of torque. It will likely be connected to a six-speed automatic transmission which can be paired to an optional all-wheel drive system.
Source: Automotive News

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I am going to say "Yes, it will be a really nice Accord." I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but I certainly don't see it as much of a risk or anything new. It will sell, but it won't really help Acura define its brand any better, which I think is a problem for the company right now.

I also eagerly await the day that Acura comes up with a different grille design. I am tired of seeing the Acura shield sweeping across vehicles' grilles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to me like it is going to be a really nice Accord. That isn't necessarily good or bad. But it is something to think about. The TLX definitely won't be revolutionary.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not really. The TL almost always comes with a better engine. It also has a nicer interior though not by alot. It comes in AWD. And it has a much more advanced navigation and control system.

The road noise is another way to differentiate a TL and a Accord.

There is no doubt they are both very similar cars though. But there are reasons the TL cost more.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really. The TL almost always comes with a better engine. It also has a nicer interior though not by alot. It comes in AWD. And it has a much more advanced navigation and control system.

The road noise is another way to differentiate a TL and a Accord.

There is no doubt they are both very similar cars though. But there are reasons the TL cost more.
I think the point is that the TLX is a luxury version of the Accord. That means that it does come with extra stuff -- navigation, engine, interior, etc... -- but the TLX isn't its own independent model of vehicle. It is an upgraded Accord, for better or worse.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the point is that the TLX is a luxury version of the Accord. That means that it does come with extra stuff -- navigation, engine, interior, etc... -- but the TLX isn't its own independent model of vehicle. It is an upgraded Accord, for better or worse.
The problem really isn't whether or not the TLX is nice. People just have a harder time wanting to pay for a car that they know is an upgraded Accord. t seems like a waste of money when you could get a different vehicle that is more unique. A lot of entry level luxury vehicles are just better versions of an economy level sedan.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The problem really isn't whether or not the TLX is nice. People just have a harder time wanting to pay for a car that they know is an upgraded Accord. t seems like a waste of money when you could get a different vehicle that is more unique. A lot of entry level luxury vehicles are just better versions of an economy level sedan.
Thats very true. Acura has been doing a better job at not keeping their car as an upgraded Honda, for all we know the TLX could be one of the Acura's that sets it's self far apart from a Honda.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think if people knew what cars most of their cars were based off of. It would change their opinion

The Accord has a nice chassis. Rigid and lightweight.

Its a pretty good platform to build a car from. So I don't see where the problem is.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think if people knew what cars most of their cars were based off of. It would change their opinion

The Accord has a nice chassis. Rigid and lightweight.

Its a pretty good platform to build a car from. So I don't see where the problem is.
it would but fortunately the more expensive cars of today that are based off of something cheaper have much more going on. In the 90's and 00 it was just a rebadge with a few better things. Now it's exteriors that are totally different.

Things changed a lot from the 96-00 EK Sedan and 1.6 EL era, no more direct bolt-on's

·
Registered
339 Posts
Personally I don't see a problem in using another chassis or frame unless that chassis is complete garbage. If its a good chassis why not reuse it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
theres a difference between platform and chassis though. Platform would be the dimensions of the underpinnings, while chassis is a culmination of engine, platform and suspension.

So I have no issue with TLX sharing a platform with Accord as long as the rest of the chassis set up is uniquely Acura.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is true.

The TL has a unique suspension compared to the Accord though they are the same design.

The engine and transmission are usually also very similar but there are differences.

I guess you could say the TLX is only using the same platform but some could argue that the TLX is very related to the Accord in terms of being a chassis. Many of the suspension, engine, and transmission parts are interchangeable and even carry the same part number.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is true.

The TL has a unique suspension compared to the Accord though they are the same design.

The engine and transmission are usually also very similar but there are differences.

I guess you could say the TLX is only using the same platform but some could argue that the TLX is very related to the Accord in terms of being a chassis. Many of the suspension, engine, and transmission parts are interchangeable and even carry the same part number.
as long as they are tweaked to TLX I have no issue. Its the suspension that really needs to be the focus. The difference between an Acura ride and a Honda ride should be vast.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Acuras usually have a better ride but I wouldn't say its alot better.

They are both not that great when compared to the germans and europeans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.