Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished reading all the online comments to a Car and Driver article on the TLX Type S PMC: Acura Prices the 2023 TLX Type S PMC Edition at Nearly $64,000. Nearly all of them were negative about the car and especially whether the PMC edition was worth it and truly “special.” There is some truth to these comments, but I think most of them are off target. That led me to reflect on why I decided to reserve a TLX Type S PMC (Long Beach Blue). I’m curious how others reached their decision.

My purchasing criteria:
  • My budget was in the $50-60K range, with the ability to stretch if needed.
  • I was looking for a comfortable, reliable daily driver with AWD and enough speed and handling prowess to keep me entertained when I want to be.
  • I consider myself a car enthusiast. But I don’t feel the need to drive 10/10ths all the time, especially during my commute to/from work. I already own a weekend car (BMW E46 M3), so I don’t need or want a sports sedan that is razor-edged. I do not intend to track my daily driver on a regular basis.
  • My intention is to keep the car for 10 years, which meant reliability and durability post-warranty mattered. I also appreciate strong engineering, so quality matters…not just a long warranty. I also preferred a new car.
  • I did not want an EV. IMO the technology is still evolving, and I didn’t want to be locked into 2023 technology for 10 years.
  • I’m a bigger guy, so comfort and space in the front seat were critical. The back seat is rarely used by people (more for packages or dogs), so it was a lesser concern.

I test drove just about everything in the “sports sedan” category. Everything from a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring to a Mercedes E53 AMG (CPO). My rough order of preference after driving everything was:
  • TLX Type S PMC: I chose the TLX Type S because it best fit all my criteria above. I debated the PMC edition, but decided it was worth it because (a) the price differential between a standard Type S with performance wheels/tires to the PMC was reduced from $6750 (including destination) to $2940 because I would want several (not all) of the accessories that are included on the PMC, (b) the high-end paint and hand assembly process is appealing and feels special to me…probably worth another $5K IMO, although I’m sure the standard robot assembly is also very good, (c) if you add up the cost of all the accessories on the PMC, the hand assembly and high-end paint are essentially free, (d) I like the idea of a daily driver being built to a higher standard with additional quality control steps, and (e) my local dealer has assured me that I will pay MSRP for the PMC edition.
  • BMW 540i X-drive with M Sport package: I loved the size, luxury, performance, tech and engineering of the 540i. But I didn’t like the near $80K price tag to get the same level of options that the Type S offers. Front-seat comfort felt nearly equal to the TLX. I was also concerned about service costs post-warranty. In the end, I couldn’t justify the price differential and I wasn’t willing to get a base 540i to get to the same price point of the PMC. Price being equal, however, I would have chosen the 540i with M Sport.
  • Kia Stinger GT2: The Stinger really surprised me. The size, versatility, performance and design are really good. But Kia thefts are a real issue in my area, and I have heard that Kias tend to use every bit of their 10-year warranty. I just didn’t have enough confidence in Kia to buy one.
  • BMW M340i, Audi S4/S5, Genesis G70: This is partially where the Car and Driver responders missed the mark, IMO. They compare the TLX Type S to these cars because of the product positioning, price point and interior size. Dynamically and somewhat with technology, the TLX isn’t up to the levels of these vehicles. But these vehicles aren’t up to the TLX’s level of front-seat interior comfort, daily driver reliability, and all-around goodness. They are fast and fun, but smoothness and comfort were lacking for me. If I didn’t have my M3, I might feel differently. But these cars felt too hard edged and small for a daily driver.
  • Mercedes E450/E53, Audi A6/S6/A7/S7, Genesis G80: All are beautiful and wonderful vehicles, but they were just too expensive to buy and own, too big, and just a bit too pretentious for me. Strange that the BMW 540i didn’t feel as big as these cars, but I always felt that I was driving around in more car than I needed, especially the back seat.
  • Mercedes C300, BMW 330i, Audi A4/A5: Similar comments as above regarding the size of these vehicles (too small), but the 4-cylinder versions lacked power and entertainment. All are probably great choices for a daily driver, but I worried that I would feel cramped and bored over time.
  • Honda Accord 2.0 Touring: I actually liked the 2022 Accord, but it just didn’t feel special enough. I’m also disappointed that the new 2023 Accord doesn’t offer an enthusiast version and the styling has become bland.
So, overall, the TLX Type S PMC felt special and offered the combination of comfort, performance and practicality that I was looking for. The price variance over a standard Type S is significant, but not when factoring the cost of desired accessories and the value of the PMC paint and build process. It’s not a hard-edged sport sedan, but I didn’t want one for my daily-driver. I think that’s directly in-line with the Type S focus. It’s not a Type R…and that’s OK. But apparently that’s not OK with most of the Car and Driver responders.

What was your consideration that led you to choose the TLX Type S PMC?

· Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
356 Posts
Well to be honest with you my consideration for attempting to get a PMC Type-S was honestly for “shits and giggles” I purposely got on the waitlist just to be on there in case one did pop up to get reserved or someone backed out of theirs. I can’t nor am I really super pressed to get a PMC Edition as $64k+ whatever markup my local dealer will charge for an Acura that isn’t an NSX is a touch too much for me to spend. However I’m perfectly fine spending $55k-ish on a regular Type-S and I will have the same performance as a PMC. I been wanting the Type-S for a year or so now and this year I am set on getting one for myself.

I recently test drove the M340i xDrive and man… what a car, it is FAST and truly the class leader in this sports sedan segment. As you said it was fast and fun but not as smooth or easy going as a TLX Type-S can be especially in comfort mode. Even in normal mode on the M340i it felt like the car was always on GO and even more so in its respective Sport and Sport+ mode. I enjoyed the test drive and almost considered trading my 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD for it but alas my heart is set on the Type-S.

Plus BMW maintenance scares me and much like you M3E, after I make this purchase I will be keeping my car (TLX-S) for a pretty long time probably 8-9 years before I get rid of it (or just keep it and add a car to the stable)

I’m gonna do one more test drive soon with the Type-S and move forward from there. The dealer I’m going through is the same one I purchased my current Acura from so hopefully my salesman and his team can get me a good deal. Currently they only have High Performance wheel and tire package Type-S models coming in right now. One is in the color I want, but the summer tire and wheel package isn’t ideal for a car I’ll be daily driving year-round. So I may be waiting abit longer but I’ll be in a Type-S soon for sure.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with your decision!

Your comments on the M340 are spot on. A super fun machine, but a bit too high strung for my daily. Even in the mildest mode, it seemed ready to fly. When I want that, I’ll hop in my M3 instead. If I didn’t have both options, however, the M340 would have been a compelling choice. Although, I still found it a bit cramped inside.

I share your comments about the summer tires on a daily driver. What would you do if you get a PMC? I was thinking about either swapping the summer tires for performance all seasons or maybe buying a new set of wheels for winter use. The former is more cost effective and less hassle, but I hate to subject the PMC wheels to winter salt and conditions. What would you do?

· Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
356 Posts
Good luck with your decision!

Your comments on the M340 are spot on. A super fun machine, but a bit too high strung for my daily. Even in the mildest mode, it seemed ready to fly. When I want that, I’ll hop in my M3 instead. If I didn’t have both options, however, the M340 would have been a compelling choice. Although, I still found it a bit cramped inside.

I share your comments about the summer tires on a daily driver. What would you do if you get a PMC? I was thinking about either swapping the summer tires for performance all seasons or maybe buying a new set of wheels for winter use. The former is more cost effective and less hassle, but I hate to subject the PMC wheels to winter salt and conditions. What would you do?
Well either/or are fine choices, if you’re mechanically inclined and got space in your garage to store the tires. I’d go with buying a set of winter tires or all-season tires and driving on those Fall —> Spring and then putting on your summer tires in the Summer. Probably use the PMC copper wheels in the summer and find a regular or NSX inspired wheels to purchase and use those on the winter tires in the wintertime cold months.

· Registered
1 Posts
Good morning all.... I wanted to hop on the forum and let you guys know I work at Crown Acura in Clearwater and have a Curva Red PMC due to arrive within the next 24 hours. I sold 10+ Civic Type R's on the CivicX forum so I thought I would give this a try.... If anyone is interested please reach out my name is Evan. [email protected]

· Registered
1 Posts
I just finished reading all the online comments to a Car and Driver article on the TLX Type S PMC: Acura Prices the 2023 TLX Type S PMC Edition at Nearly $64,000. Nearly all of them were negative about the car and especially whether the PMC edition was worth it and truly “special.” There is some truth to these comments, but I think most of them are off target. That led me to reflect on why I decided to reserve a TLX Type S PMC (Long Beach Blue). I’m curious how others reached their decision.

My purchasing criteria:
  • My budget was in the $50-60K range, with the ability to stretch if needed.
  • I was looking for a comfortable, reliable daily driver with AWD and enough speed and handling prowess to keep me entertained when I want to be.
  • I consider myself a car enthusiast. But I don’t feel the need to drive 10/10ths all the time, especially during my commute to/from work. I already own a weekend car (BMW E46 M3), so I don’t need or want a sports sedan that is razor-edged. I do not intend to track my daily driver on a regular basis.
  • My intention is to keep the car for 10 years, which meant reliability and durability post-warranty mattered. I also appreciate strong engineering, so quality matters…not just a long warranty. I also preferred a new car.
  • I did not want an EV. IMO the technology is still evolving, and I didn’t want to be locked into 2023 technology for 10 years.
  • I’m a bigger guy, so comfort and space in the front seat were critical. The back seat is rarely used by people (more for packages or dogs), so it was a lesser concern.

I test drove just about everything in the “sports sedan” category. Everything from a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring to a Mercedes E53 AMG (CPO). My rough order of preference after driving everything was:
  • TLX Type S PMC: I chose the TLX Type S because it best fit all my criteria above. I debated the PMC edition, but decided it was worth it because (a) the price differential between a standard Type S with performance wheels/tires to the PMC was reduced from $6750 (including destination) to $2940 because I would want several (not all) of the accessories that are included on the PMC, (b) the high-end paint and hand assembly process is appealing and feels special to me…probably worth another $5K IMO, although I’m sure the standard robot assembly is also very good, (c) if you add up the cost of all the accessories on the PMC, the hand assembly and high-end paint are essentially free, (d) I like the idea of a daily driver being built to a higher standard with additional quality control steps, and (e) my local dealer has assured me that I will pay MSRP for the PMC edition.
  • BMW 540i X-drive with M Sport package: I loved the size, luxury, performance, tech and engineering of the 540i. But I didn’t like the near $80K price tag to get the same level of options that the Type S offers. Front-seat comfort felt nearly equal to the TLX. I was also concerned about service costs post-warranty. In the end, I couldn’t justify the price differential and I wasn’t willing to get a base 540i to get to the same price point of the PMC. Price being equal, however, I would have chosen the 540i with M Sport.
  • Kia Stinger GT2: The Stinger really surprised me. The size, versatility, performance and design are really good. But Kia thefts are a real issue in my area, and I have heard that Kias tend to use every bit of their 10-year warranty. I just didn’t have enough confidence in Kia to buy one.
  • BMW M340i, Audi S4/S5, Genesis G70: This is partially where the Car and Driver responders missed the mark, IMO. They compare the TLX Type S to these cars because of the product positioning, price point and interior size. Dynamically and somewhat with technology, the TLX isn’t up to the levels of these vehicles. But these vehicles aren’t up to the TLX’s level of front-seat interior comfort, daily driver reliability, and all-around goodness. They are fast and fun, but smoothness and comfort were lacking for me. If I didn’t have my M3, I might feel differently. But these cars felt too hard edged and small for a daily driver.
  • Mercedes E450/E53, Audi A6/S6/A7/S7, Genesis G80: All are beautiful and wonderful vehicles, but they were just too expensive to buy and own, too big, and just a bit too pretentious for me. Strange that the BMW 540i didn’t feel as big as these cars, but I always felt that I was driving around in more car than I needed, especially the back seat.
  • Mercedes C300, BMW 330i, Audi A4/A5: Similar comments as above regarding the size of these vehicles (too small), but the 4-cylinder versions lacked power and entertainment. All are probably great choices for a daily driver, but I worried that I would feel cramped and bored over time.
  • Honda Accord 2.0 Touring: I actually liked the 2022 Accord, but it just didn’t feel special enough. I’m also disappointed that the new 2023 Accord doesn’t offer an enthusiast version and the styling has become bland.
So, overall, the TLX Type S PMC felt special and offered the combination of comfort, performance and practicality that I was looking for. The price variance over a standard Type S is significant, but not when factoring the cost of desired accessories and the value of the PMC paint and build process. It’s not a hard-edged sport sedan, but I didn’t want one for my daily-driver. I think that’s directly in-line with the Type S focus. It’s not a Type R…and that’s OK. But apparently that’s not OK with most of the Car and Driver responders.

What was your consideration that led you to choose the TLX Type S PMC?
Excellent review of the TLX Type S and other vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts