Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
i found Curt has a Hitch for TLX
Hitch Lookup for 2015 Acura TLX All

i want one for a bike rack and eventually trailer use, once or two times, maybe.

who uses it? 2.4 or 3.5 ?
Just remember that adding a trailer hitch will / can void the TLX warranty. At least that is what is stated in the owner's manual. :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just remember that adding a trailer hitch will / can void the TLX warranty. At least that is what is stated in the owner's manual. :eek:
Really? I wouldn't think that is something that should void the warranty. Is it dangerous to tow with the TLX? Are their risks?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is stated somewhere in the manual that the car is not meant to tow. It doesn't have any tow ratings and probably hasn't been "officially" tested so that's why it might be considered unsafe.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
No towing or being towed

Had to show you this before I went to dinner.

Page 321 of our owner's manual...

Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your
warranties.

Towing Your Vehicle
Your vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motor home. If your vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, refer to the emergency towing information.

I didn't see much else on the topic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i asked the seller and he told me it should be okay to tow a minimum weight trailer.

my car is leased not buy yet. i may ask him again to make sure. also i've 2.4L

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I'd be hesitant unless you got something in writing. I only say that because if anything were to happen you'd be in a bad spot.

It is strange that they have that in the owners manual. It's the first car that I've seen that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would assume a rear mounted bike rack wouldnt count as towing. The trick might be to prove that it was only a rack, not a hitch.

And get anything in writing especially if it conflicts with the manual. Even then, the sales rep is NOT Acura.....maybe get a clarification from Acura?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wouldn't do this personally. Your seller is telling you fibs. This WILL void your warranty if you attach it. Being the first model year and (although minor) issues that have arrisen so far you would be ill advised to even attempt this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think that you'd be able to tow something quite small, but the real question is if that is worth voiding your warranty. I wouldn't want to void the warranty.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would assume a rear mounted bike rack wouldnt count as towing. The trick might be to prove that it was only a rack, not a hitch.

And get anything in writing especially if it conflicts with the manual. Even then, the sales rep is NOT Acura.....maybe get a clarification from Acura?
It also might be good to find out a specific weight capacity range that would disqualify you from warranty claims. At least then there would be some 'guideline' to go off of.

Off the top of my head a bike rack, basket or low weight cap under/around 500lbs at most shouldn't be a problem for them. But don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Still thinking about it, I need bike rack
me too. I just had my car polished and 22PLE'd... i want to throw away my trunk mount rack ASAP.

anyone done anything they care to speak about?
I would really like a hitch added for the sole purpose of a hitch mount bike rack... I'd be willing to do anything necessary to prove I had no intent of towing anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To mount the hitch for the TLX, you must modify the heat shields over the mufflers by cutting them. There is a video online showing install. At the very least, if you are leasing, you will get hit for charges to remove the hitch and replace the heat shield. At worst, you could be voiding a warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
HItch Bike

I spoke with the dealership on this. their statement was that if a warranty issue arose that could be attributed to towing or having a hitch it would void the warranty.

Two types of hitches I've seen are available for the TLX. One type is drilled holes and bolted. The other is no drilling required, uses existing bolting(?)

The other issue is the wiring for the lights. The TLX is not hitch 'ready'. Meaning any wiring harness would be intrusive and could affect the electrical of the entire car.

My thoughts were to have a receiver hitch just for a bike rack. No wiring. Very much undecided. Does anyone have a picture of a receiver hitch on a TLX?

Racks of any kind damage the clear coat of the body. My other vehicle is an Acadia, so I may suffer with driving that for bike days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts