Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a 2005 Camry SE-V6 (the older 3.3L version). Although no hot rod it has pretty decent pickup. I recall being underwhelmed by the TSX acceleration when I test drove one several years ago. Recently rented a Mazda6 and it seemed decent but passing on a two-lane road still required some extra care.

Would like to hear from any I4 owners who came from a V6 if the I4 has adequate power. Published acceleration figures are all over the map so they aren't much help.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Would like to hear from any I4 owners who came from a V6 if the I4 has adequate power. Published acceleration figures are all over the map so they aren't much help.
Sorry. I haven't had a V6 since 1984. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I drove a Honda Pilot V6 prior to my 4 cyl TLX and I occasionally drive my daughter's 2006 Accord EX V6 Coupe. The TLX does not lack for power or acceleration as far as I'm concerned. I never feel that I am in "danger" for lack of power like I did driving my wifes old 1988 Toyota Corolla - that car you had to call ahead and make an appointment to merge on the highway.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Test drive both.
Not sure, test drive it again till you are sure.

Buy whichever one that makes you happy!
That's a great advise and this is exactly what I did. Initially, I preferred the V6 configuration (FWD, not interested in AWD) but managed to get both on extended test drive and ended up with the I4. I miss the 18" tires and the 8 way passenger power seat that comes with V6 but I truly love how the I4 drives. Also I really didn't feel the extra ponies with the V6 when I needed them but I felt the 140 lbs extra on the steering wheel.
I've been enjoying my TLX very much and trying to push it a bit here and there; never experienced any lack of power. It feels very light and very well balanced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a V6 Mercedes before the TLX, and I don't feel it is underpowered. More than anything the sound is what took some getting used to. It's a very smooth 4 cylinder, but a 4 always sounds different than a 6. That's pretty much all I miss from the V6. Plus, I think an 8 speed transmission is more than enough gears. The V6 TLX comes with 9 speed, which is overkill IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bought the V6 cause I wanted the SH-AWD (long and snowy winter where I live) but even on dry pavement when cornering with the AWD is like getting a kick in the ass meaning it just grab the pavement and turn...really impressive. And the 6 packs quite a punch. I have not try the 4 because I would not have consider not getting AWD. But no matter what engine you choose you get a great car and IMO much more fun to drive than a Toyota.

:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the 2014 V6 (270 hp version of the 3.5) accord before my new 4 TLX. If you don't know, they are basically the exact same car. The TLX is just more luxo all around.

I really don't miss the V6 that much, I've been really happy with the power delivery on 4 off the line.

I'm actually starting to dislike the 8 speed tranny though, mostly because in the rare times that I stomp it, I usually really stomp it. I'm usually in sport mode and when I need to stomp it on the freeway (pass situation), the thing has to shift to many time to get the RPM's up in the power band which results in a significant delay which drives me nuts.

With the 6 speed in the Accord V6, you stomp it... it shifts down once and you almost peel out at 65 mph.

Besides that, my current mpg track has me at 30.4 mpg over the past 600 miles total. That is amazing for a massively heavy car like the TLX running a big 4c engine with near 210 hp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the 2014 V6 (270 hp version of the 3.5) accord before my new 4 TLX. If you don't know, they are basically the exact same car. The TLX is just more luxo all around.

I really don't miss the V6 that much, I've been really happy with the power delivery on 4 off the line.

I'm actually starting to dislike the 8 speed tranny though, mostly because in the rare times that I stomp it, I usually really stomp it. I'm usually in sport mode and when I need to stomp it on the freeway (pass situation), the thing has to shift to many time to get the RPM's up in the power band which results in a significant delay which drives me nuts.

With the 6 speed in the Accord V6, you stomp it... it shifts down once and you almost peel out at 65 mph.

Besides that, my current mpg track has me at 30.4 mpg over the past 600 miles total. That is amazing for a massively heavy car like the TLX running a big 4c engine with near 210 hp.
I agree with you on the 8 speed. It's too many gears. 6 is optimal to me. My 2014 Accord has basically the same engine as the TLX, but putting out a bit less power. I have the 6 speed manual and am getting near the same numbers as the TLX, and the latest V6 Accord with a 6 speed auto is not that much more gas, so I'm not understanding the point of the 7, 8, 9, and 10 speeds that some OEM's are offering.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also see it as more to go wrong, i feel that they might be over complicating things, but maybe that's what they want... more repeat customers ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 2005 TL with a V6 and have a new 2015 TLX with the I4. I have no problem at all with the change. I like the power and gas mileage of the I4. The only change I experience is at low end. The V6 had gobs of torque and was just a bit more smooth. The I4 is very quiet and smooth also (over all the TLX is super quiet). At 206 HP the I4 has plenty of power. I normally have the IDE power selection at Normal. If you want more snappy performance from the engine I have found the Sport and Sport+ settings really do make quite a difference. I find the Economy mode to a bit too sluggish and Normal is just right for me. If you have any doubt with going with the I4 test drive both. I'd drive the V6 first and take the I4 for a spin afterwards. Then make your decision. The clincher for me is the I4 has a timing chain whereas the V6 still uses belts (and it's an interference engine!). Cost for replacement of the timing belts (includes spark plugs, water pump replacement) is over $1,200).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 2005 TL with a V6 and have a new 2015 TLX with the I4. I have no problem at all with the change. I like the power and gas mileage of the I4. The only change I experience is at low end. The V6 had gobs of torque and was just a bit more smooth. The I4 is very quiet and smooth also (over all the TLX is super quiet). At 206 HP the I4 has plenty of power. I normally have the IDE power selection at Normal. If you want more snappy performance from the engine I have found the Sport and Sport+ settings really do make quite a difference. I find the Economy mode to a bit too sluggish and Normal is just right for me. If you have any doubt with going with the I4 test drive both. I'd drive the V6 first and take the I4 for a spin afterwards. Then make your decision. The clincher for me is the I4 has a timing chain whereas the V6 still uses belts (and it's an interference engine!). Cost for replacement of the timing belts (includes spark plugs, water pump replacement) is over $1,200).

I did, and just did it, because the v6 was out of my budget, and since ive also own a TL 2012 which is V6 I just went for the i4 this time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just came out of a 6-cyl Sienna and own a 3-4-6 Pilot. In comparison, the TLX has plenty of zip and is nimble to boot. Far better fuel economy than either. Had expected better MPG out of the Pilot than 16/23...

Reactions: Summest
1 - 13 of 13 Posts