Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying my TLX and in my research I've seen plenty of complaints about the transmission having problems on the V6 version, however some suggest that it's only for particular year(s)? Could anyone please educate me on exactly which years have the problems or is it just all of the V6s? Is the SH-AWD model better or worse in this regard than a FWD model?

Thanks in advance guys, excited to finally get my own TLX after my TL finally kicked the bucket. I test drove both the V6 and the 4-cylinder models and while I do slightly prefer the V6 driving experience, I don't need that over the 4-cylinder if I'm going to have to worry about transmission issues.

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
363 Posts
Everything I've read indicates that the 2015's transmission issues (the only year noted) were resolved with the 2016 model year.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Most of the issues were with the ‘15s but there are some people who just don’t like how the 9 speed shifts in the V6. I would recommend taking one for a drive to see what you think.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
I'm looking into buying my TLX and in my research I've seen plenty of complaints about the transmission having problems on the V6 version, however some suggest that it's only for particular year(s)? Could anyone please educate me on exactly which years have the problems or is it just all of the V6s? Is the SH-AWD model better or worse in this regard than a FWD model?

Thanks in advance guys, excited to finally get my own TLX after my TL finally kicked the bucket. I test drove both the V6 and the 4-cylinder models and while I do slightly prefer the V6 driving experience, I don't need that over the 4-cylinder if I'm going to have to worry about transmission issues.
I think most of any lingering problems have been ironed out with the 2018's (2nd generation TLX) and newer. I've got the 4 cylinder model and am very happy wth it. If you're on the fence, the other advantage is the $3K lower sticker price for the 4 cylinder model. However, as Andre mentioned, your best bet is to take the actual car that you are considering buying on an extensive test drive. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
Oh and BTW - welcome to the forum! Once you buy one, post some pictures for us!

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
363 Posts
I wasn't even going to consider the 4-cylinder, but am very happy that I did, and am with my choice. One of the things I like best is actually the 8-spd DCT's quick-shifting performance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 9-speed transmission is much maligned and misunderstood.

The maligned: The transmission failures occurred because of cross-contamination of the transmission fluid when the heat exchanger in the ATF warmer (an external item) failed.

The misunderstood: The design of the transmission employs a different kind of clutch on two gears. They are called “dog clutches”, and take much longer to engage due to the design only permitting engagement at zero or 180 degrees, unlike conventional clutches that can engage at any angle. This makes the transmission appear to be slipping, and naturally can be disconcerting to someone who doesn’t understand that it’s just normal behaviour for the design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the issues were with the ‘15s but there are some people who just don’t like how the 9 speed shifts in the V6. I would recommend taking one for a drive to see what you think.
I did get a chance to drive a 2016 V6 back to back with a 2017 I4. Personally I liked the overall driving experience from the V6 a bit more but not enough to justify possible transmission issues and the timing belt that would need to be done around 100k. If I only had to worry about the timing belt though, and found one at a comparable price that was at 50-60k miles, then I may just go for the V6 that I enjoyed more. I wasn't sure about the V6 transmission issues though and didn't know if it was something that would come on after time or if it is an issue that I would definitely experience in a test drive. Because I had no problems in the 2016 V6 that I drove actually!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think most of any lingering problems have been ironed out with the 2018's (2nd generation TLX) and newer. I've got the 4 cylinder model and am very happy wth it. If you're on the fence, the other advantage is the $3K lower sticker price for the 4 cylinder model. However, as Andre mentioned, your best bet is to take the actual car that you are considering buying on an extensive test drive. Good luck!
I also just prefer the body of the 2018, but it seems to be out of my price range unless I make some other sacrifices (ex. base instead of tech package, or higher miles etc.). I didn't have any issues with the one V6 I drove but I didn't know if the transmission issue was something that could show up later or if it's always present.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't even going to consider the 4-cylinder, but am very happy that I did, and am with my choice. One of the things I like best is actually the 8-spd DCT's quick-shifting performance.
Yeah I liked it just fine! I absolutely had no issues with the 4-cyl, but overall the V6 just felt like it WANTED to be driven I guess by comparison. It just felt a bit better, and if all else were held equal I would choose the V6, but it doesn't quite work like that haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 15 TLX advance 111,000 from 0-35MPH sometimes I get I hard kick other times more slow but back and front passenger can feel it it’s that normal on the 9 speed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts