Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yup, applying the powertrain more will make it cheaper in the end, it's like this with anything, any business.
I have a feeling the TLX and RLX platform will share a lot of things.
I hope so, the RLX is a good car it just gets lost in its segment, i think in a lower segment the technology and driving experience of the hybrid should put TLX at the forefront.

·
Registered
339 Posts
not true at all. If they put the system in TLX it instantly brings the cost down. Economies of scale mean that as usage spikes upwards cost craters. So TBH honda may put the system in the TLX to help raise margins on RLX and NSX...
So how much would they sell the TLX hybrid AWD for?

Because the RLX hybrid will be anywhere between 55k and 65k

And the TL starts at 36k and tops out at 45k (before options)

Would they sell a hybrid AWD TLX for 50k? So why not just buy the RLX?

The hybrid AWD system doesn't exactly "drop in" to the TL. The RL and TL platforms are not perfectly interchangeable.

You need to take a look at pricing to figure out where a hybrid TLX would fit in.

Keep in mind the TLX is actually moving down the latter a little bit

The TLX has to fill the place of the TL and the TSX. TSX starts at 30k in case you didn't know

The 2015 TLX might shrink in size and get cheaper. Not bigger and more expensive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
So how much would they sell the TLX hybrid AWD for?

Because the RLX hybrid will be anywhere between 55k and 65k

And the TL starts at 36k and tops out at 45k (before options)

Would they sell a hybrid AWD TLX for 50k? So why not just buy the RLX?

The hybrid AWD system doesn't exactly "drop in" to the TL. The RL and TL platforms are not perfectly interchangeable.

You need to take a look at pricing to figure out where a hybrid TLX would fit in.

Keep in mind the TLX is actually moving down the latter a little bit

The TLX has to fill the place of the TL and the TSX. TSX starts at 30k in case you didn't know

The 2015 TLX might shrink in size and get cheaper. Not bigger and more expensive.
nobody said it would get bigger. the RLX uses small electric motors that are quite adaptable. Plus its going to be based on the Accord which recently got its own Hybrid system so there is precedent there.

Using your $50K figure my turn to ask a question. Which would you rather: a fully loaded TLX Hybrid or a bare bones RLX?

The Accord starts at $21 and the hybrid is priced at $29. So if we assume the same model for the TLX, say $32 to start and flat $40 for the Hybrid. Leaving more then enough breathing room for RLX and TLX hybrids to coexist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
the hybrid system in the Accord and the hybrid system in the RLX are two whoppingly different hybrid systems.

Using your $50K figure my turn to ask a question. Which would you rather: a fully loaded TLX Hybrid or a bare bones RLX?

I would rather have a 6MT 3.7L V6 SH AWD TL with no hybrid. :)

just make it look nice.

·
Registered
727 Posts
the hybrid system in the Accord and the hybrid system in the RLX are two whoppingly different hybrid systems.

I would rather have a 6MT 3.7L V6 SH AWD TL with no hybrid. :)

just make it look nice.
Although I don't know much about the TLX, considering Acura will be learning from their mistakes on the RLX, im going to guess the TLX will be "better" in some ways.

still need to see solid info on the TLX before deciding.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.