Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 TLX advance. I am trying to install a sub by using the pre-amp signal(clean signal). From my previous Honda accord, I did not have to unplug the ANC and no strange sound from my sub when I used the clean signal. I look by the front passenger area and in the trunk.

Do you know where is the factory amp?

Front Passenger Area...no factory amp

In the trunk...no factory amp

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I found the detailed instructions for all speakers and amp locations and wiring diagrams.

If you would like a copy, PM me with you email address.

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I look under and behind the glove box still no amp. I found these plugs(pic below) and I thought they were coming from the factory radio but after I unplugged it, I was still listening to the radio.

I wanted to try the preamp install since I like having ANC. I could have tried to look in the rear panel but I will wait until I have the right info about the 21 TLX advance amp location and since where I live winter is around the corner, maybe I will be able to finish the install sometime next year.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have the master sheet on how to get to it?
if yes, please share.
Im guessing its underneath the armrest console assembly(?) I have yet to take it apart but plan on doing so this weekend. I do not have any instructions/manuals to disassemble or get access to it. Im sure it is a simple process as it doesnt look to complex. I'll take some pics once I get to it.

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im guessing its underneath the armrest console assembly(?) I have yet to take it apart but plan on doing so this weekend. I do not have any instructions/manuals to disassemble or get access to it. Im sure it is a simple process as it doesnt look to complex. I'll take some pics once I get to it.
When you find it, can you please confirm or find the pre-amp sub wires and are these inputs always at full volume. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you find it, can you please confirm or find the pre-amp sub wires and are these inputs always at full volume. Thanks!
I can already tell you there is no pre-amp options. Doing audio installs the old-fashioned way have been fading away in more types of vehicles over the past few years. The OEM radios of today dont send individual audio inputs to the OEM amp, it typically is 1 digital signal (not analog) that is sent into the amp that has also has a DSP, which then sends the sound out to each speaker w/ the according frequency. The way we need to get audio for adding aftermarket amps, is grab the output(s) from the OEM amp, sum them together and RE-Equalize it, then connect to the speaker. This is accomplished by using a Summing device and/or DSP (digital sound processor). JL Audio or our choice-> Audiocontrol has DSP amps that do this.

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can already tell you there is no pre-amp options. Doing audio installs the old-fashioned way have been fading away in more types of vehicles over the past few years. The OEM radios of today dont send individual audio inputs to the OEM amp, it typically is 1 digital signal (not analog) that is sent into the amp that has also has a DSP, which then sends the sound out to each speaker w/ the according frequency. The way we need to get audio for adding aftermarket amps, is grab the output(s) from the OEM amp, sum them together and RE-Equalize it, then connect to the speaker. This is accomplished by using a Summing device and/or DSP (digital sound processor). JL Audio or our choice-> Audiocontrol has DSP amps that do this.
Technology Laptop part Silver

I installed it using the input from the sub speaker but, as we know, I am having feedback. My 2016 accord EXL did it at first, but after I used the pre-amp signal, no feedback.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ya, those Rockford amps had some issues with engine whine/noise suppression as we do lots of them in Harleys. You could try a RCA noise filter or use an Audiocontrol LC2i which will give you some serious volume input to your amp and filter out any noise.
Define 'Feedback'? Is it a hi pitched audio whistle/whine? Or do the woofers 'flutter' with increased sound? There can be issues due to the ANC (anti noise cancelling) microphones in the vehicles that may need to be unplugged? I just started taking my car apart as Im writing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya, those Rockford amps had some issues with engine whine/noise suppression as we do lots of them in Harleys. You could try a RCA noise filter or use an Audiocontrol LC2i which will give you some serious volume input to your amp and filter out any noise.
Define 'Feedback'? Is it a hi pitched audio whistle/whine? Or do the woofers 'flutter' with increased sound? There can be issues due to the ANC (anti noise cancelling) microphones in the vehicles that may need to be unplugged? I just started taking my car apart as Im writing this.
Issue with the ANC mics...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Issue with the ANC mics...
Try this.......look up about 2 inches back, in the rear seat dome light area there is a small disc about the size of a quarter. Looks like a push tab holding up the headliner (this is probably the rear microphone ANC) If you pull the clear domelight cover out, then 2 screws the domelight unit comes out. Then if you reach you finger inside the drivers side of the headliner domelight opening, you can feel a small wire going to the ANC mic. Most cars if you unplug/cut it, will solve your ANC issue.

·
Registered
21 TLX ADV
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try this.......look up about 2 inches back, in the rear seat dome light area there is a small disc about the size of a quarter. Looks like a push tab holding up the headliner (this is probably the rear microphone ANC) If you pull the clear domelight cover out, then 2 screws the domelight unit comes out. Then if you reach you finger inside the drivers side of the headliner domelight opening, you can feel a small wire going to the ANC mic. Most cars if you unplug/cut it, will solve your ANC issue.
I like AVC (auto vol control) because it helps me keeping the vol around 30% and if I am not mistaken, it is also link with the ANC. On all my previous installed, I never unplugged ANC unless I replaced the radio with an aftermarket . Thanks for showing me the location of the amp.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts