Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought that i saw a post saying that the TLX had a different wheel stud thread than regular honda/acura has been using, is this true? anyone happen to know what the wheel thread is?

for anyone running aftermarket wheels, what lug nuts did you use?

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not sure what the thread pitch is...but I believe the dealer but on the standard Acura/Honda wheel locks if that means anything.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nuts are the same acorss both I believe.
The only thing i can think you might have read is about bolt paterns as those are different as the old TL didn't have a Honda standard pattern but I think now the TLX does...if that makes sense?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nuts are the same acorss both I believe.
The only thing i can think you might have read is about bolt paterns as those are different as the old TL didn't have a Honda standard pattern but I think now the TLX does...if that makes sense?
Yeah, I agree. The actual lug nuts are standard honda/acura. The bolt pattern is different.. back to the standard size also now of 5x114.3. Thread size of the lugs should be 12x1.5 I think

As for lug nuts and aftermarket wheels... stock wheels use a ball seat (so the lug nut should have a ball seat), and aftermarket wheels usually have a conical seat (so the the lug nut will need to be cone/acorn/tapered... whatever you want to call it)

Here's a link to check out what it looks like: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/att...031-wheel-lock-issue-acorn-mag-ball-seats.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right, my new wheels have a different lug nut seat (acorn) so i need to buy new lugs; i thought i read somewhere that the TLX had a different wheel stud thread than other hondas but if it's 12x1.5 then i can use my volk extended lugs off my integra.

·
Registered
39 Posts
right, my new wheels have a different lug nut seat (acorn) so i need to buy new lugs; i thought i read somewhere that the TLX had a different wheel stud thread than other hondas but if it's 12x1.5 then i can use my volk extended lugs off my integra.
I haven't changed the wheels on my car yet, so I'm not 100% positive they are 12x1.5 but I'm pretty sure they are. I remember seeing a post a few days ago of someone who changed their stock lug nuts to s2000 or nsx black OEM lugs, and those are 12x1.5 and if those worked, then I'm just assuming that's what it is

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Something I noticed differnet with this Acura (per the Owner's Manual, p493)
Wheel nut torque:80 lbf∙ft (108 N∙m, 11 kgf∙m)

I was used to 100 lbf∙ft

No mention of Lug nut "style" in the Owner's Manual.

Again another benefit of this forum. I never would have given it (Lug nut "style") another thought, now I need to pay attention!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
My last few Hondas have been 80lbs.

I learned about lug nut style last year. Something so obvious that you never think of.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Something I noticed differnet with this Acura (per the Owner's Manual, p493)
Wheel nut torque:80 lbf∙ft (108 N∙m, 11 kgf∙m)

I was used to 100 lbf∙ft

No mention of Lug nut "style" in the Owner's Manual.

Again another benefit of this forum. I never would have given it (Lug nut "style") another thought, now I need to pay attention!
The TL'S with the larger bolt pattern also had larger diameter wheel studs. Hence the higher wheel nut torque.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I haven't changed the wheels on my car yet, so I'm not 100% positive they are 12x1.5 but I'm pretty sure they are. I remember seeing a post a few days ago of someone who changed their stock lug nuts to s2000 or nsx black OEM lugs, and those are 12x1.5 and if those worked, then I'm just assuming that's what it is
ah that answers it then. if you can use NSX or S2k lugs then it's the same thread. I fully forgot about the black stock lugs...too bad they arn't the acorn type or i'd go for those. i decided against the volk extended lugs i have kicking around, i don't think they would suit the car very well. it's taking me longer than i thought to "build" these rims with drilling/TPMS/lugs/tires

and using the correct lug nut seat is very important imo. i've seen first hand on a friends car all of the lugs strip out the wheel studs and the wheel fell off because he used cheap ebay lugs with the wrong seat. i've used spoon lugs on stock integra type R wheels and i had to keep my torque wrench with me and tighten them about once a week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ah that answers it then. if you can use NSX or S2k lugs then it's the same thread. I fully forgot about the black stock lugs...too bad they arn't the acorn type or i'd go for those. i decided against the volk extended lugs i have kicking around, i don't think they would suit the car very well. it's taking me longer than i thought to "build" these rims with drilling/TPMS/lugs/tires

and using the correct lug nut seat is very important imo. i've seen first hand on a friends car all of the lugs strip out the wheel studs and the wheel fell off because he used cheap ebay lugs with the wrong seat. i've used spoon lugs on stock integra type R wheels and i had to keep my torque wrench with me and tighten them about once a week.
Glad to hear you are doing it right! Yeah, every once in a while you hear those horror stories of someone who cheaped out on lug nuts and lost a wheel while driving lol. I had the black s2000 CR lug nuts on my HFP wheels on the civic I previously owned before my TLX. Those lugs look great and are great quality, they held up perfectly over time. It's a shame they won't work on aftermarket wheels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts