Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
My commute to work is 5 miles one way, and I go home for lunch every day. There's a 2 mile stretch where the speed limit is 45 and there are no lights, so that helps. I also have two short 1 mile trips to for work-related errands each day. I'm always in Sport mode. Anything else is sluggish, IMO.

I have my Trip A set to automatically reset every time I get gas, and my trip B resets automatically whenever I turn the car off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My driving is a mix of city and highway. Trip two was a trip to Dallas from Houston and then back. Way up I took a scenic route so had a few towns to stop in, way back was strictly highway. Use strictly 89 gas and normal mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It would be helpful if you mention which engine your car has. I'm hoping all these posts are from I4 drivers. My V6 highway numbers are fairly good but around town I'm lucky to be in the twenties.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
It would be helpful if you mention which engine your car has.
Edited for Clarity]
Another good reason to update your signature files with your car specifics. >:D

Maybe also update your location information as well.

This has been a public service announcement ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
V6 Base model, using 93 octane gas. 80% highway driving here about 70mph. My last trip said an average of 35.1mpg over a 53 mile highway drive at 62-65mph.

I'm not sure of the difference in mpg between the two screens. I turned the car on and took these.

Now I need to update my sig 0:)

Attachments

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
666 Posts
The screen that shows 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is the reading after you have pressed the Trip reset. The second screen with Current and Previous is for the trip since starting the car, eg, you just turned on the car and have not driven anywhere so there is no current.

There is also a calculated reading in the MID which will be slightly different again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another good reason to update your signature files with your car specifics. >:D

Maybe also update your location information as well.

This has been a public service announcement ...

I'm a chick, give me my specifics for my car. Haha

It's the base 4 calendar. That's all I got.....

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I'm a chick, give me my specifics for my car. Haha

It's the base 4 calendar. That's all I got.....
That's a good start.

American, Canadian, other?

General geographic location, not street address? :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Country Drive

I drove out of town this weekend to visit my parents' at their place north of Orlando. The drive was as pleasant as the visit. This time I took my time and drove at a constant speed with cruise control on.

On the way up I used Sport mode. The best MPG I could get at my speed was 38.0 MPG. That's even in Sports mode.

Since I drove a bit of city traffic and made some stops, I looked at the trip computer for MPG just for the segment of the drive with no stops. (The 12.8 MPG was from the gas station to my house which is a mile, maybe. Most of the time was spent at the stop light.)

On the way up it was a beautiful day to be outside.

On the way back it was a bit overcast and rainy in some spots along the interstate to home. I was still able to maintain my constant speed, but this time I tried Econo mode. You can definitely tell the difference in city driving, but it wasn't bad on the highway. Funny thing is that I only got 0.2 MPG better in Econo than when in Sport mode.

Again looking at the trip computer for segemts before and after a rest plaza stop segments, I see I was able to get 38.2 MPG.

From now I on I guess I will stay in Sport mode.

The only way I could have gotten any better MPG, in my opinion, would be to do the speed limit and possibly use Sports+, but I am happy with the 38 MPG.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We were rolling down I-5 towards Salinas/ Monterey yesterday. We clocked 35 mpg doing about 75 mph in Econ. mode. I was in SHOCK! I've never seen that mileage in anything I've ever owned...

Reactions: Wade and Summest

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since I no longer have anything TLX to complain about, :laugh: I've been spending time looking at mileage using various modes. My latest has been my drive to the office from home which is about 8 miles round trip. No highway, top speed is probably 45mph. The last two weeks, I've using nothing but economy mode. It's driving me nuts since the throttle mapping and shift points are sooooo boring. Anyway, this 27.6 has staid very consistent over times. A little higher, a little lower but always falls between this and 27.7 at the end of the day. It's an overall improvement over sport by just over 2mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
My apologies for the dust on the display. Gotta love Austin tree pollen.

I am apparently a naughty boy when I drive. MPG, not so good.

BTW, I have never reset my trip counter. That's how many miles are on the car. I don't think I want to reset.. Kind of like not taking a comic book out of its plastic sleeve.. :)

Attachments

Reactions: Summest

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
We were rolling down I-5 towards Salinas/ Monterey yesterday. We clocked 35 mpg doing about 75 mph in Econ. mode. I was in SHOCK! I've never seen that mileage in anything I've ever owned...
Doing 75 steady for a couple of hours brought my average MPG up to 38.0 at 75 MPH. All of my roads were flat and I think they were downhill in both directions. :)

How were your roads?

Since I no longer have anything TLX to complain about, :laugh: I've been spending time looking at mileage using various modes. My latest has been my drive to the office from home which is about 8 miles round trip. No highway, top speed is probably 45mph. The last two weeks, I've using nothing but economy mode. It's driving me nuts since the throttle mapping and shift points are sooooo boring. Anyway, this 27.6 has staid very consistent over times. A little higher, a little lower but always falls between this and 27.7 at the end of the day. It's an overall improvement over sport by just over 2mpg.
Eight miles is tough to measure good MPG. You proabably have a couple of stops that mess with the numbers. That's probably pretty good for the a city drive full of obstacles.

I wonder if economy mode works better for city driving since I only improved my highway MPG by 0.2 MPH?
Driving in econo is a drag. This morning on the way to work, I forgot I left it in Econo and then as I was driving put it into Sport. Wow. The TLX came to life like slapping a horse on the backside. :)

My apologies for the dust on the display. Gotta love Austin tree pollen.

I am apparently a naughty boy when I drive. MPG, not so good.

BTW, I have never reset my trip counter. That's how many miles are on the car. I don't think I want to reset.. Kind of like not taking a comic book out of its plastic sleeve.. :)
Impressive. I reset trip A but not B. I surpassed 10,000 miles today. I need to see if it rolled over on B.
It's difficult to drive for MPG when it fills so good to take off like a rabbit. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
"Doing 75 steady for a couple of hours brought my average MPG up to 38.0 at 75 MPH. All of my roads were flat and I think they were downhill in both directions.

How were your roads?"

Interstate 5 out there is primarily a four-lane out in the farmland with gentle hills and sweeping curves.

I'm driving in sport mode during my urban commute. Can't do economy in town and command the commute. That baby wants to run!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Interstate 5 out there is primarily a four-lane out in the farmland with gentle hills and sweeping curves.

I'm driving in sport mode during my urban commute. Can't do economy in town and command the commute. That baby wants to run!
I agree. I don't think I will ever use Econo mode ever again, at least with this TLX.
:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Doing 75 steady for a couple of hours brought my average MPG up to 38.0 at 75 MPH.

I wonder if economy mode works better for city driving since I only improved my highway MPG by 0.2 MPH?
An interesting test, if you can stomach it, would be to do that drive in Econ mode but keeping the speed to a steady 60 MPH or even 55 MPH. The MPG will increase but by how much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doing 75 steady for a couple of hours brought my average MPG up to 38.0 at 75 MPH. All of my roads were flat and I think they were downhill in both directions. :)

How were your roads?

Eight miles is tough to measure good MPG. You proabably have a couple of stops that mess with the numbers. That's probably pretty good for the a city drive full of obstacles.

Driving in econo is a drag. This morning on the way to work, I forgot I left it in Econo and then as I was driving put it into Sport. Wow. The TLX came to life like slapping a horse on the backside. :)

Impressive. I reset trip A but not B. I surpassed 10,000 miles today. I need to see if it rolled over on B.
It's difficult to drive for MPG when it fills so good to take off like a rabbit. :)

Agreed. It is a tough test of mileage yet I think a good one for pretty much a stop and go driving situation. I'm more than happy with it.
Now, here's a funny one. Left the office yesterday afternoon and decided... Hey, Chinese take out. So much for my exercise in mileage excellence. I pick up the food and on the back roads from the restaurant to my house a punk in a Subaru thought he be funny. Into sport + I go and for about 2 minutes my hair grew long, I lost weight, my wrinkles went away and I blew the punk away. This is what it did to my mileage. It was worth every second. I'm not going back to economy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts