Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There was some decent consideration for Lexus, but like a used Toyota the price was quite up there in relation to the wear, age, spec, etc. New ones also felt slightly dated and uninteresting. Infiniti and Nissan were not even in the picture because of their less than spotless rep sheet. Other competing brands like Audi, BMW, MB, were just too financially unjustifiable in the long run used or new.
This pretty much sums up my thinking as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What other cars were you looking at prior purchasing Acura TLX?
What attracted you to other brand/models? Why did you choose TLX?
I was looking at Genesis G70, Infiniti Q50S, Jaguar XF and Genesis G80. My sister-in-law has been in the car business for 40 years and steered me clear of Infiniti. They are no longer considered a luxury brand. I drove the Genesis G70 and there was lots of power, to be sure, but it felt cheap. I never actually drove the Jag. Couldn't get past their past of reliability issues.
When I got in and drove the TLX it was such a nice ride. The cabin was more luxurious than the G70 because it wasn't "in your face" luxury. The G70 is trying waaay too hard, IMO.
Anyways, I couldn't be happier with my 2019 TLX A-Spec Elite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VW GTI, VW GTI R, Challenger with a Hemi, Civic SI, WRX STL, Mustang V8 Camaro, Kia Stinger, and Mazda Miata MX5. - Comfort sedan more on the comfort; also looked at the Honda Accord 2.0T - Mark up was 3-10k over sticker for new; ended up getting a 2020 Acura TLX Advance package v6 sh awd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
VW GTI, VW GTI R, Challenger with a Hemi, Civic SI, WRX STL, Mustang V8 Camaro, Kia Stinger, and Mazda Miata MX5. - Comfort sedan more on the comfort; also looked at the Honda Accord 2.0T - Mark up was 3-10k over sticker for new; ended up getting a 2020 Acura TLX Advance package v6 sh awd.
Nice - so what do you think of the engine? I've had my Accord V6 (very similar engine) for 7 1/2 years, and I keep trying to buy a new car, but because of the V6, I just can't let go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming from a 2013 Accord V6 EX-L, and I bought a CPO '21 A-Spec. One thing common for all of the below: I like the exterior styling of the TLX way better. Only complaints would be no wireless Android Auto, HUD only available in Advance, ground trim kit should have been included on the A-Spec.

Toyota Avalon : This was a close runner-up. Almost got one, but I waited too long and they were getting increasingly hard to find in the trim (TRD or Touring) and color I wanted. The fact the it was still available with a V6 was really attractive.

Honda Accord 2.0T Touring : Really didn't care for the tail lights. Unimpressed with interior styling.

Audi A5 : Either didn't have as many features or ended up too expensive, and didn't have the long term reliability of Honda.

MB C300 : Same as above.

Genesis G70 : Felt too cramped, and lesser reliability.

Lexus ES300 : Nearest dealer is 2+ hours away. Even with their offer to shuttle the car and provide a loaner, still seemed like a hassle. And couldn't find the exact combination I wanted.

Lexus IS300 : Too small and dated design. And was overpriced, IMHO.

Kia Stinger : Over priced and lesser reliability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice - so what do you think of the engine? I've had my Accord V6 (very similar engine) for 7 1/2 years, and I keep trying to buy a new car, but because of the V6, I just can't let go.
Also coming from an Accord V6, you'll want to get the Ktuner v2 and use 91+ octane. It has good pull, just not the instantaneous reaction you're used to. Feels stronger once you get some RPM's going, as you'd expect from a turbo.

·
Registered
2015 Tlx 119k miles fully loaded SOHC 24 VALVE FWD not sure if it's Awd or not.
10 Posts
Used cars I'm on a budget. Lol.
Subaru wrx
Subaru imprezza wrx both expensive in the used car market.
A Honda accord ex which I would have gotten except there were no maintenance records on Carfax or bumper.com
I saw the Tlx and remembered how much fun I had in my old Integra as a teen. Test drove it and the luxurious feel and handling along with the v6 vtech song and S+ drive mode hooked me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vehicles I looked at before I bought my ‘21 A-Spec SH-AWD:

2020 RDX - didn’t care for the center stack design as much as the TLX. Also, I felt like I was sitting “on” the car rather than “in” the car with the TLX.

2022 VW Arteon - faster than the TLX, and more usable second row and cargo area, but I didn’t care for the flat/basic dash design, the capacitive buttons are everywhere (and sucked to use compared to traditional physical buttons).

2022 Genesis GV70 - Nice design, but lacking storage. The 2.5T felt noticeably weaker than the same engine in my wife’s Santa Fe Calligraphy.

2019 Genesis G80 Sport - bigger car inside with nicer tech features, but the interior design definitely is looked dated compared to the latest vehicles, and the gas mileage was atrocious with the 3.3T V6 (14.5mpg on the test drive)

2021 Honda Accord Touring - Probably the second favorite car I drive behind the TLX. Nice second row room, nice features, but I don’t care for the rear end design of the 10th gen Accords.

In the end, the TLX was the best combo of style (interior & exterior), reliability, and being engaging to drive (double wishbone front suspension with the torque vectoring rear differential), and I really am enjoying the TLX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Came from a ‘17 Civic Sport Touring hatchback. My short list:

Model 3 - Sure scoots nice for a city/commuter car. Charging may be a hassle since we live in a townhome. Couldn’t find the fucking side mirror controls on the test drive. And Musk is a lunatic.

‘22 Civic hatchback, Sport Touring - unavailable without a 2-3 month lead time, hardly available to even look at. The one dealer who had a couple on hand wanted a $5k markup plus obscenely overpriced accessories. That’s Audi-BMW-Acura territory.

‘22 Accord - Also unavailable. Too much power, IMO, for a heavy FWD with open diff. Also, our neighbors have one, and my wife doesn’t get along with them. 🤪

New Integra - Test drove. A little nicer than my top-trim Civic, but not nicer enough. If I were coming from a lower trim or an older generation, I’d be more impressed. And since I’d have to get the CVT, I’d still be stuck with an open diff. Kinda tired of smoking the inside tire in turns and slick weather.

Honorable mentions: 3-series, A5, etc - Didn’t drive, just priced online (maybe I should’ve tried them out). Too much money compared to the TLX for the same specs; or to say it another way, the same money as a TLX would get me the German equivalent of a Civic, like a 2-series or A3. Also comes with the spectre of poor reliability.

TLX A-Spec AWD - Bought it. Still a good bump in power and performance, SH-AWD means all the grip I’ve wanted, cooled seats FTMFW, interior controls have all the buttons that I refuse to give up. Drove it on my 90-minute commute yesterday and just loved it. The Civic was already really nice, but the TLX pampers me the way I like.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Came from a ‘17 Civic Sport Touring hatchback. My short list:

Model 3 - Sure scoots nice for a city/commuter car. Charging may be a hassle since we live in a townhome. Couldn’t find the fucking side mirror controls on the test drive. And Musk is a lunatic.

‘22 Civic hatchback, Sport Touring - unavailable without a 2-3 month lead time, hardly available to even look at. The one dealer who had a couple on hand wanted a $5k markup plus obscenely overpriced accessories. That’s Audi-BMW-Acura territory.

‘22 Accord - Also unavailable. Too much power, IMO, for a heavy FWD with open diff. Also, our neighbors have one, and my wife doesn’t get along with them. 🤪

New Integra - Test drove. A little nicer than my top-trim Civic, but not nicer enough. If I were coming from a lower trim or an older generation, I’d be more impressed. And since I’d have to get the CVT, I’d still be stuck with an open diff. Kinda tired of smoking the inside tire in turns and slick weather.

Honorable mentions: 3-series, A5, etc - Didn’t drive, just priced online (maybe I should’ve tried them out). Too much money compared to the TLX for the same specs; or to say it another way, the same money as a TLX would get me the German equivalent of a Civic, like a 2-series or A3. Also comes with the spectre of poor reliability.

TLX A-Spec AWD - Bought it. Still a good bump in power and performance, SH-AWD means all the grip I’ve wanted, cooled seats FTMFW, interior controls have all the buttons that I refuse to give up. Drove it on my 90-minute commute yesterday and just loved it. The Civic was already really nice, but the TLX pampers me the way I like.
Nice list and good choice. I got the TLX for my wife and almost made the mistake of getting a FWD one. I was driving it the other day and there was a hazard in the middle of the road. I was going fast and swerved back and forth and was able to avoid it. I know the FWD version wouldn’t have done so well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice list and good choice. I got the TLX for my wife and almost made the mistake of getting a FWD one. I was driving it the other day and there was a hazard in the middle of the road. I was going fast and swerved back and forth and was able to avoid it. I know the FWD version wouldn’t have done so well.
For me, once I get above $40k, it had better have AWD. I also wouldn't opt for FWD if AWD is available on the chassis. I remember when Audi first brought their Quattro system to the racetrack and beat the pants off of everybody, and then everyone realized it made perfect sense for the rest of us in regular driving. It's some extra weight and complexity, but I think it's worth it.

And the cooled seats — that's after being spoiled by our sister's loaded Hyundai SUV. Five minutes in those seats in a hot summer made me want them for my next car.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts