Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I just stopped by the dealer to get this software update

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/3553-fyi-just-saw-wtf.html

I was thinking that this would take a couple of hours... but the dealer told me that this would take about 5 hours. I had to reschedule the appointment

Has anyone got this update done. How does it help
Welcome to the forum! I see this is your first post.

Somewhere in this forum is a thread that explains it all. I think it was within the Technical Service Bulletin section.

Supposedly the install of the update is done by CD can run while you drive your car. The car shouldn't have to stay at the dealer for 6 hours. Maybe they are short of CDs, but I was told you copy the patch and then run it in the background.

If you just got your TLX you could be patched already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Software Update

Funny, I just made an appointment to get the software update along with the Transmission Service bulletin and I asked them what they need to do. They said the software update would take approx 4 hrs and 1/4 tank of gas because they need to run the car to apply the update. As far as I know, the update is updating the info-tainment interface, not anything to do with engine management. Also, I asked if I would be reimbursed for a 1/4 tank of gas and they said "no". (Either that, or fill it back up.)

They said "we're giving you a loaner car"... I still have to refill it before I return it. Seems weird.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Funny, I just made an appointment to get the software update along with the Transmission Service bulletin and I asked them what they need to do. They said the software update would take approx 4 hrs and 1/4 tank of gas because they need to run the car to apply the update. As far as I know, the update is updating the info-tainment interface, not anything to do with engine management. Also, I asked if I would be reimbursed for a 1/4 tank of gas and they said "no". (Either that, or fill it back up.)

They said "we're giving you a loaner car"... I still have to refill it before I return it. Seems weird.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

On my visit, a oil change, tire rotation and two updates took 5.5 hours. I should have re-scheduled and got the loaner.

From what the rep said, it took an hour to download each update from Acura over the link. If the connection is bad, it could take longer. I also got my TLX nuts torqued according to a TSB. I had to wait for the rain to stop before they could test drive it for that reason alone.

When I got the car back, the indicator on the nav screen was at 10% It took a couple of days driving to and from work to get it completed. You don't have to drive for multiple hours straight. I also noticed that the maps were updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"it took an hour to download each update from Acura"... WT Fudge? Are they on dial-up? I used to work for AHM (American Honda Motor Company)... this does not surprise me.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
"it took an hour to download each update from Acura"... WT Fudge? Are they on dial-up? I used to work for AHM (American Honda Motor Company)... this does not surprise me.
Do you think they were using the cellular link or the satellite link? Service Rep did not know.

Maybe the cellular link is still 56k? >:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife had a 2011 Ford Edge and they had to do several software updates to the navigation/audio. They also took all day long. It's a nuisance but you can get a loaner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Manufacturers do these types of things as a way to address customer complaints or ideas in addition to discovering things on their own. Take the loaner and hopefully enjoy the updates the manufacturer has made to your vehicle. I have. I see it this way too: It gave me a chance to drive 2 other Acura models, plus another TLX that afforded me the opportunity to compare to my own and then provide feedback to the technicians working on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts