Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read on Road & Track that the tires that come on the TLX were not great. In fact, they call them "terrible." Road & Track says that "they generate far too little grip and go limp once they approach their limits, and they squeal far too easily."

It is also possible that the low-grip tires contribute to excellent fuel economy.

I was just wondering what your own experiences with the TLX tires were. Do you agree with Road & Track's assessment?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I like the Michelins we used to get standard

It is also possible that the low-grip tires contribute to excellent fuel economy.

I was just wondering what your own experiences with the TLX tires were. Do you agree with Road & Track's assessment?

I need grip when I go around corners or during a rain storm. I like my Yokohamas for this feature of grip. I was really hoping they would stay with Michelins. I guess they had to cut costs to make the car more affordable.

From recent reading, it seems that by offering less popular tires, weak brakes, no spare tire and no fog lights, they can price the car as we see it. Too bad there isn't an option to upgrade the tires and brakes. At least they have the spare tire option and the fog light option, but I do not see anywhere you can upgrade tire and brake quality.

I am still looking forward to the test drive, but the weak spots are coming more into the light.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I need grip when I go around corners or during a rain storm. I like my Yokohamas for this feature of grip. I was really hoping they would stay with Michelins. I guess they had to cut costs to make the car more affordable.

From recent reading, it seems that by offering less popular tires, weak brakes, no spare tire and no fog lights, they can price the car as we see it. Too bad there isn't an option to upgrade the tires and brakes. At least they have the spare tire option and the fog light option, but I do not see anywhere you can upgrade tire and brake quality.

I am still looking forward to the test drive, but the weak spots are coming more into the light.
I'm not sure, but, its possible the tires improve with the packages. I would not expect a base TLX to share a tire setup with a top of the line SH-AWD ELITE TLX...

but again I'm not sure...

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Tire Mystery continues

I'm not sure, but, its possible the tires improve with the packages. I would not expect a base TLX to share a tire setup with a top of the line SH-AWD ELITE TLX...

but again I'm not sure...

Your logic could be true, but so far I have seen two 3.5 V6s in photos and they either had Bridgestone or Goodyear Eagle tires. The Goodyear Eagle V6 was definitely a SH-AWD. I could not tell if the other V6 was SH-AWD. Maybe non SH-AWDs get Bridgestone tires? I have not seen any determining factor so far.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying a good set of tires can be a bit expensive though. I am not asking for amazing tires, but I do want some that are at least average. I don't hear about cars having **** tires very often, so hearing this news makes me nervous.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can not say for sure, but I read somewhere that all of the trims come with the Goodyear Eagle LS2. I have had the Michelin Primacy MXV4s on last couple of cars and they have been very good. Even my Yokohamas on my Integras were good.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Affordability over quality?

good to know, at least for most, the type of tire this will come with won't matter much.
I guess Acura wanted to make the TLX "affordable looking" by going with cheap tires, no spare and no fog lights. Hopefully the core car is put together well.
:|

·
Registered
181 Posts
Again, can not confirm, but I just read that

"V6 Tech has Bridgestone Potenza" from a post of an apparent new owner of same.

Might have to wait to see what shows up on the local dealer lot to get the full line up of tires on each model/trim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I plan on doing if/when I buy the TLX 4-cyl that comes with low-rated Firestone tires is to negotiate with the local Firestone dealer to exchange what comes on the car with higher rated Firestones. They have some very highly rated tires such as the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 or Firehawk AS models. I've done this before; most tire stores will exchange new tires but you may take a small hit on the transaction but that's better than keeping tires that you'll be dissatisfied with for two or three years or so.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Posted in another forum last night...
From acuranews...

Size___________ Manufacturer TLX Trim Level
225/55R17 97H M+S Goodyear Eagle 4-cylinder Base and Tech package
225/50R18 95H M+S Bridgestone Potenza V6 Base, Tech package and Advance package
225/50R18 95H M+S Goodyear Eagle V6 SH-AWD Tech package and Advance package

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
What I plan on doing if/when I buy the TLX 4-cyl that comes with low-rated Firestone tires is to negotiate with the local Firestone dealer to exchange what comes on the car with higher rated Firestones.
Wow! First I hear of Firestones. Has this been verified? I only seen Bridgestones and Good Year Eagles?

Curious.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Mystery Solved.

Posted in another forum last night...
From acuranews...

Size___________ Manufacturer TLX Trim Level
225/55R17 97H M+S Goodyear Eagle 4-cylinder Base and Tech package
225/50R18 95H M+S Bridgestone Potenza V6 Base, Tech package and Advance package
225/50R18 95H M+S Goodyear Eagle V6 SH-AWD Tech package and Advance package

Thanks! Another mystery solved

·
Registered
181 Posts
I found 5 on Bridgestone site, but none of the Potenza were listed as H rating....not sure. Maybe a new tire since the search for TLX also yielded nothing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the tire companies will make cheap manufacturer special options just for the makers to use. I always trade the OEM set immediately, most tires shops are more than happy to oblige...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Potenza RE97AS according to Acurazine, Grand Touring All Season on Tire Rack. I'd buy UHP AS, the new Yoko Avid or Conti DWS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts