Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to do my homework before approaching a dealer. I would like to go in with a price that I want.

- I am looking at the 2.4L with Tech that goes for $38,690 MSRP.
- I am financing through my own bank and am eligible for $1000 cash rebate.
- I know Unhaggle lists the invoice at $35,595.

Would going in wanting to pay $35,595 be unreasonable? They would be making $1000 based on Unhaggle's invoice price (because it doesn't take into account the $1000 cash rebate) which means the dealer would be getting ~3% commission plus who knows how many other incentives. Would you go lower than this? Any help would be awesome.

(These are Canadian prices if that wasn't obvious)

·
Registered
438 Posts
really hard to say

do you need any accessories? like rubber mats?

any trade-ins?

do you need any dealer addons like extended warranty? do you want stuff like rustproofing, tint etc done at the dealership?

all of these are negotiable if you do choose to go for them.

i personally like to do negotiations by the final out-the-door price including all taxes and PDI and fees, and have the dealer calculate backwards on their own as to how much discount they are giving

doesnt hurt to ask at invoice - 1000, the worst that happens is that they say no. but if you give exactly $35,595-1000 = $34,595 they will know that you are reading off unhaggle's value. round up a bit (like $34,700) or if you feel adventurous, round DOWN a bit and see what happens

and today is oct 28, meaning that you have only 3 days until friday before the month ends. it can play to your advantage depending on how fast you are willing to sign the papers. also a good idea to do some research as to if the dealer has the exact model and color and trim in the lot, as supposed to having to wait for a factory order

and depending on where you live, try different dealers if there is more than one in your area, in case one dealer gives you a hard time.\

i did the email spam negotiation method, sent out my first emails on monday morning, mutually agreeed upon a deal on wednesday noon and went to sign the papers wed evening after work. could have been tuesday evening but sales manager had a day off so things got dragged a bit

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also think you have to know your dealer. Is he a guy who seems like he is trying to gouge you, or does he seem like a guy who is actually trying to get you a good deal. The people who know best what prices they can sell the car for are the dealers themselves. It's just a matter of if they use that knowledge for good or for evil.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also think you have to know your dealer. Is he a guy who seems like he is trying to gouge you, or does he seem like a guy who is actually trying to get you a good deal. The people who know best what prices they can sell the car for are the dealers themselves. It's just a matter of if they use that knowledge for good or for evil.
That does help and looking on forums like this for feedback does help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really hard to say

do you need any accessories? like rubber mats?

any trade-ins?

do you need any dealer addons like extended warranty? do you want stuff like rustproofing, tint etc done at the dealership?

all of these are negotiable if you do choose to go for them.

i personally like to do negotiations by the final out-the-door price including all taxes and PDI and fees, and have the dealer calculate backwards on their own as to how much discount they are giving

doesnt hurt to ask at invoice - 1000, the worst that happens is that they say no. but if you give exactly $35,595-1000 = $34,595 they will know that you are reading off unhaggle's value. round up a bit (like $34,700) or if you feel adventurous, round DOWN a bit and see what happens

and today is oct 28, meaning that you have only 3 days until friday before the month ends. it can play to your advantage depending on how fast you are willing to sign the papers. also a good idea to do some research as to if the dealer has the exact model and color and trim in the lot, as supposed to having to wait for a factory order

and depending on where you live, try different dealers if there is more than one in your area, in case one dealer gives you a hard time.\

i did the email spam negotiation method, sent out my first emails on monday morning, mutually agreeed upon a deal on wednesday noon and went to sign the papers wed evening after work. could have been tuesday evening but sales manager had a day off so things got dragged a bit
not looking for any extras such as accessories or extended warranty at least with initial purchase.

unfortunately being in ottawa there is only one dealership (although in hull there is another but higher taxes on newer vehicles negate the visit). the next nearest one is kingston, although a trip to the gta is not out of the question.

thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
so i presume no quebec dealers

try the local dealer first, see what they say. dont be afraid to walk out if u feel the deal is not in your favor, if visiting other dealers further way is a possible option for you.

try invoice minus 1000 and go from here, may need to give in a bit

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
It might be worth the trip across the river to Gatineau. I know you said the taxes are higher but they do a lot of business with Ontario customers so they must be doing something it make it worth the trip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Didn't know that the difference between MSRP and the invoice was 3K for this particular configuration. One Acura dealer in Ottawa...hm...I don't think you can't get anything under the invoice and they don't care if this is a cash deal as the 1K discount is from the corporate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Didn't know that the difference between MSRP and the invoice was 3K for this particular configuration. One Acura dealer in Ottawa...hm...I don't think you can't get anything under the invoice and they don't care if this is a cash deal as the 1K discount is from the corporate.
Typically MSRP allows for a 10% profit. One must also take into account that the TLX are moving off the lot like hot cake because of the low quantity available (they are still producing pre-order car at least for the SH line). So the incentive for the dealer to lower his price to cost is minimal. Even if you are close to the end of the month, since the car are moving off the lot...It is a matter of offer vs demand. Right now the demand exceeds the offer which allows dealer to demand higher price. There will always be exception of course.

My 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Typically MSRP allows for a 10% profit. One must also take into account that the TLX are moving off the lot like hot cake because of the low quantity available (they are still producing pre-order car at least for the SH line). So the incentive for the dealer to lower his price to cost is minimal. Even if you are close to the end of the month, since the car are moving off the lot...It is a matter of offer vs demand. Right now the demand exceeds the offer which allows dealer to demand higher price. There will always be exception of course.

My 2 cents worth :)
I think my local Acura dealer is having the opposite problem right now. They did quote me a 7 day delay for almost all configurations but are currently hosting an Acura Performance Event tonight offering lower financing rates and extra cash incentives. In fact the salesman has called me 3 times over the last two days trying to get me to confirm a time to come in. If anything I think they are getting a little desperate.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think my local Acura dealer is having the opposite problem right now. They did quote me a 7 day delay for almost all configurations but are currently hosting an Acura Performance Event tonight offering lower financing rates and extra cash incentives. In fact the salesman has called me 3 times over the last two days trying to get me to confirm a time to come in. If anything I think they are getting a little desperate.
dont hold your breath, my friend

my local dealer (not the one i got my TLX from though) also had this event this past weekend in toronto, and also bugged me to go to the event (i didnt tell them i got my TLX elsewhere already). so my guess is that this is a nation-wide dealer VIP thingy and not specific to the one you are going to

which is fine, doesnt hurt to go and see if they can give you a good deal. however, i would not count the sales event as desperate since every other dealer is having that event too recently. its just like futureshop having those VIP events every now and then. it's nation-wide with all stores and it doesn't look like futureshop is desperate for sales, are they?

just sayin'

as always, its best to walk in knowing exactly what model and trim and color you want, as well as what accessories you want to get. dont be afraid to walk out if the deal is not in your favor. do not be fooled by their sales tactics, take a deep breath and analyze the situation. try to push a bit further if u feel there is room to go down a bit more in price. but that said, if u feel its a good deal then go for it. heck, i got $5500 off for my SH-AWD so anything's possible. and keep in mind that today is october 29th

·
Registered
80 Posts
Then it is a good time to bargain. I usually allow for a 5% profit above invoice, leave them the offer and tell them to call me if it is acceptable. Then after they accept I add any manufacturer incentives such as rebate if paying cash etc
:rolleyes:

Mind you it worked for the last 3 cars I purchased but for the last 2 the owner has to step in as the sales manager was unresponsive. The last 3 cars were Acura.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
It might be an Acura Canada promotion. I got the same thing in the mail for the two Acura dealers in the Ottawa area. The invite says only for tonight.

·
Registered
438 Posts
so...how did things go?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so...how did things go?
Went to check out the sale. Firstly it was dead, there was one other person in the dealership and they did not seem very interested at all. Secondly the sale was joke, they were offering $500 off all TLXs. They prepared me a quote which included almost $600 in extra costs such as 'Global Protection Enrolment' which totally eliminated the sale offer.

Didn't even bother countering the offer as the salesman was very pushy for a luxury dealership, nothing like I have experienced in Audi or BMW. Was overall really unimpressed with the service there and will probably be taking a trip to the GTA once I find out Novembers incentives/deals.

·
Registered
438 Posts
sorry to hear that. not too surprising since you mentioned that there is only one acura dealer in your area

write a review in the dealers feedback thread if you can. might be odd to start one thread just for ottawa though. maybe ELITE2013 can change the toronto feedback thread title to ONTARIO instead

i strongly suggest you try my email negotiation method spamming all GTA acura dealers which is what i use to get my TLX , and since you are not local and you are probably not going to do servicing with them you have a legit reason to do so

http://blog.unhaggle.com/get-dealers-vicious-bidding-war-new-car/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry to hear that. not too surprising since you mentioned that there is only one acura dealer in your area

write a review in the dealers feedback thread if you can. might be odd to start one thread just for ottawa though. maybe ELITE2013 can change the toronto feedback thread title to ONTARIO instead

i strongly suggest you try my email negotiation method spamming all GTA acura dealers which is what i use to get my TLX , and since you are not local and you are probably not going to do servicing with them you have a legit reason to do so

How To Get New Car Dealers in a Vicious Bidding War - Unhaggle
Its a good idea, I might try that. I have also heard going into the dealer with a certified cheque with exactly what you want to pay, and giving it to the first dealer willing to take it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's a nice thought, but a certified cheques requires the name of the payee. It also means that you would need a mock invoice with sale price, destination fees and various taxes to determine the final figure. This is not hard to do if you have an example of a recent sale.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's a nice thought, but a certified cheques requires the name of the payee. It also means that you would need a mock invoice with sale price, destination fees and various taxes to determine the final figure. This is not hard to do if you have an example of a recent sale.
calculating the final price is easy, as i have done it, and i only negotiate by the final out-the-door price with all taxes and fees included. you should avoid calculate pre-tax amounts since the dealer may slip in a few fees without your knowledge which increases the final total price. giving them a OTD price forces them to back-calculate and have them figure out the costs themselves.

im sure the OP knows how to calculate the final price if he has access to a unhaggle invoice report for his car but here goes:

invoice
+
invoice price for any options you want to add
+
whatever profit you want to give the dealer
+
mandatory fees like PDI and freight and tire fees and A/C fees or any government fees
-
any incentives
+
tax of the total of everything listed above
=
final out-the-door amount you tell the dealer you want to pay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.