Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a new car and test drove a TLX today. I really liked everything about it except for the touch pad and the gear selectors (vs. a traditional gear shift). I'm sure I could get used to a different gear interface, but less confident about the touchpad. For those of you who have had a TLX for awhile, how long did it take you to get used to it? And do you actually like it - i,e., would you consider it a pro not a con?

Thanks!

Emily

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD
15 Posts
I had the same feeling when I first purchased my TLX back in March. Took a few days to get used to it. I really feel this issue with the touchpad is overblown. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a new car and test drove a TLX today. I really liked everything about it except for the touch pad and the gear selectors (vs. a traditional gear shift). I'm sure I could get used to a different gear interface, but less confident about the touchpad. For those of you who have had a TLX for awhile, how long did it take you to get used to it? And do you actually like it - i,e., would you consider it a pro not a con?

Thanks!

Emily
I was a little unsure of both of those also, but it has grown on me. Didn’t take me long at all to get used to. Once you get used to where to tap/press on the touchpad for what you want to select on the screen it’s easy to use. It makes it easier since the touchpad senses where your finger is at and uses that point for where the selection will be on the screen (Not just some random spot on the screen). For example, if your finger is at the bottom left of the touchpad, whatever is at the bottom left portion of the infotainment screen will be highlighted for selection.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
196 Posts
As everyone else has said....the touchpad is fine.

My issue with the infotainment system is that if I try to make a phone call right after I get in the car, the phone interface fails and nobody can hear me even though I can hear them. Piece of crap won't work at that point until I turn the car off. I've had it happen about once a month and it is aggravating as hell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was used to the touch pad in 5 minutes and, to be honest, I prefer it over a touchscreen. 1st, a touchscreen has a tendency to draw my attention away from driving too much. 2nd, the last three cars I’ve owned had a touchscreen and I was forever cleaning fingerprints and oily finger smudges from them. An unclean infotainment screen just looks nasty! Not a single fingerprint or smudge on my infotainment screen in nearly 5 months of driving! And, as others have said, the negative comments about the pad are way overblown. The touchpad is easy to use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The touchpad is really good. at least to me. Sure there was an initial learning curve, but it was surprisingly easy to get past that. It really stinks that the touchpad operates more like a traditional one when using Apple Carplay though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got used to it immediately and I came from a 2015 WRX Manual base limited. So I installed a touch screen and honestly, I like not having a touch screen again. Finger prints are non existent now and the touchpad adds precision. As stated, if this screen was touch, you really have to lean for it. I switched within Android Auto into Spotify, NPR, maps, and more during my 7.5 hour drive today and 9.5 hour drive yesterday. The sound and infotainment is good. I had zero problems the entire time. Default navigation works well too but I used Maps today and yesterday. The dynamics of the touchpad are very simple. Divide it in half, top and bottom, and that will give you precision. Touch and slide your finger right and left and you will cycle though which app you want. Push when you are selecting the one you want, done. Just got to build the muscle memory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed my mind on buying this car about 10 times just based on the concept of it. I took a chance, and I got used to it immediately. Not sure why they dont offer both touchscreen AND pad, but whatever. Its fine how it is.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
Two things to note:

-- The touchpad has two sensitivity levels. If you're having trouble, try changing to the other setting.

-- The touchpad is positioned mapped to the LCD display. For example, if you want to manipulate the item at the top left corner of the screen, place your finger on the top left corner of the touchpad.

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
29 Posts
I love the touchpad. I love that I can control the screen and change the volume without lifting my arm off the console. I now prefer this over a touchscreen for that reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Emily
Bought a TLX with tech pkg in August. The touch selection for reverse, drive, park etc., was different from what I/we were accustomed to. However, the transition is very easy and easily to adjust to. I enjoy the 10 speed automatic, and if desired can always use the paddle shifters. Since you have questions, go back/call the dealer and explain your concern. If they are truly interested in selling, they will demonstrate, explain, address and show you exactly everything concerning your questions. Like you, my wife was a little hesitant at first, took us two visits to the dealer but they addressed & demonstrated our concerns/questions. She adjusted to it very easily. Her first car was a Studebaker Lark and mine a 1931 Model A Ford so both of us have transitioned over the years with cars. First car I remember with an automatic transmission was a 1946 Oldsmobile with Hydramatic transmission. I was in the 4th grade and thought it was the greatest thing since peanut butter. We both immensely enjoy our TLX!

·
Registered
'21 TLX Type-S in Tiger Eye Pearl, Ebony int., Carbon Fiber int., Y-Spoke, All season Pirelli's
10 Posts
I had an '04 TL before I got my Type-S. So everything was new for me. But every time I took it in for service, I got a loaner with all the bells and whistles, so my learning curve was minimal in the Type-S. I love the TouchPad, it's very easy to use while driving,minimal distraction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Emily
i have had nothing but trouble with the steering rack on the car as have others on this forum. The gear selector didn’t take long to get used to, but the car has been making a noise when turning. if you search the forums it will provide further and more specific details. I have only had the car since may and tomorrow it goes back for the third time. my wife has the rdx and it has been no issues at all. i love the tlx but this experience has been awful.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
15 Posts
I came from a 2020 Accord 2.0T Sport. Was used to the push button gear selector. Love having that space opened up. Loved the touch pad from the very beginning. After a week max it was a breeze. I love not having to touch the screen (too far away anyways as others have mentioned) and also having physical HVAC buttons. The cabin and sound system are so fantastic.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
36 Posts
I got used to it, but not my favorite interface at all. In particular I have problems when in home screen: I cant leave the central page, for some reason I can't scroll left or right, it happens randomly. The other thing is that when I am on android auto, using google maps, Id like to have on the left column lets say the info on the music I am playing instead my only 2 options seem to be the digital clock or the android auto logo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned my '21 Advance for almost 6 months, so I've had enough time to give it a fair evaluation. My verdict: I prefer it to a more traditional tablet style touch screen. I am older and come from a 2010 TSX (with no touch screens of any kind) so keep that in mind...there was nothing to "unlearn". As my comparison, we a 2019 Toyota 4Runner with a more traditional touch screen. On the Acura touchpad, you eventually get the muscle memory to find the pad without even looking, and that combined with the high display allows me to use the Infotainment without pulling my eyes way off the road....this is not so with the Toyota. With the Toyota, I feel I have to watch where my fingers are going along with effects they are having. With the Acura, I just watch the latter with a tiny eye flick to the right. I think where most people have an issue is coming from years of experience with a traditional setup. This was not my case. BTW, I am in IT, so Im not techno-adverse! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts