Acura TLX Forum banner
321 - 340 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got my rear bumper swap completed today! I went from the 2016 base bumper to the 2018 a-spec bumper. I don't have any proper before and after pics yet, but I will wash it again soon and take some pictures comparing it to my earlier ones. Painting and installation was $500, but all the different parts make this an expensive project. A local dealer had a discount code for parts (thanks MarcoTLX for the tip!), so I saved a lot of money on the bumper by picking it up, rather than needing it shipped. But you also need the diffuser, left and right garnishes, left and right reflector assemblies, and left and right exhaust finishers. The finishers are expensive.

On one hand, I don't like that you can seen the stock turndown tips at the right angle. On the other hand, I take some solace in knowing that the factory a-spec finishers are non-functional anyway. Eventually, I will customize the exhaust system properly, but one thing at a time.

Also, I hadn't accounted for the parking sensors when I planned this project. I bought some cheap ones ($15 for all 4 lol) from Amazon, with the intent to just cut the wires off and plug the holes, but they didn't fit. Eventually, I will have the oem ones installed. I'll just have to live with the holes for now.

The body shop I took it to was awesome. They were apprehensive to do the project because of its custom nature. They also said I would need to leave it for the whole day, maybe overnight, because they "had no idea what they would find in there." I took it this afternoon, they said they'll see what they can do, and it took them like 40 minutes.

Even with the stock tips visible sometimes, it's a big style improvement in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who has provided knowledge about similar swaps elsewhere on this forum. Happy to answer any questions. More pics coming soon. For now at least you can compare the rear 3/4 angle.

Then:
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Hood

Now:
Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire

·
Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
278 Posts
Got my rear bumper swap completed today! I went from the 2016 base bumper to the 2018 a-spec bumper. I don't have any proper before and after pics yet, but I will wash it again soon and take some pictures comparing it to my earlier ones. Painting and installation was $500, but all the different parts make this an expensive project. A local dealer had a discount code for parts (thanks MarcoTLX for the tip!), so I saved a lot of money on the bumper by picking it up, rather than needing it shipped. But you also need the diffuser, left and right garnishes, left and right reflector assemblies, and left and right exhaust finishers. The finishers are expensive.

On one hand, I don't like that you can seen the stock turndown tips at the right angle. On the other hand, I take some solace in knowing that the factory a-spec finishers are non-functional anyway. Eventually, I will customize the exhaust system properly, but one thing at a time.

Also, I hadn't accounted for the parking sensors when I planned this project. I bought some cheap ones ($15 for all 4 lol) from Amazon, with the intent to just cut the wires off and plug the holes, but they didn't fit. Eventually, I will have the oem ones installed. I'll just have to live with the holes for now.

The body shop I took it to was awesome. They were apprehensive to do the project because of its custom nature. They also said I would need to leave it for the whole day, maybe overnight, because they "had no idea what they would find in there." I took it this afternoon, they said they'll see what they can do, and it took them like 40 minutes.

Even with the stock tips visible sometimes, it's a big style improvement in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who has provided knowledge about similar swaps elsewhere on this forum. Happy to answer any questions. More pics coming soon. For now at least you can compare the rear 3/4 angle.

Then:
View attachment 26187

Now:
View attachment 26188
View attachment 26186
Very well done BBL, Unkempt makes me wish I got the aspec rear bumper but I like my V6 rear it’s still aggressive enough for me. And no problem for the tip I try to help out where I can!

As for the finishers just remember that those are really just the “OEM exhaust tips” for that aspec bumper so once you get the exhaust system customized who ever is working on your exhaust will only need to angle the straight pipe into the finishers and you’ll be good and it will be fully functional 🤩

Your body shop charged similar to mines so that’s good too

As for anyone else interested in doing this conversion to their 2015-2017 TLX be sure to check out my thread that is an in-depth guide (I will be adding more detail to it in the coming days or so.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks man! I actually like how yours is understated; the contrast with your exhaust tips and the style of bumper really go well together.

I do plan to get mufflers, I don't want the loudness of a muffler delete. I've got some flowmasters picked out. Flowmaster also has some 4" tips wrapped in carbon fiber. I'm wondering if they would fit without burning the garnishes/diffuser. Figure the exhaust shop can offer me some guidance there.

It was funny though, the body shop thought I was crazy. I showed up with all the other parts, and I'm like "I swear, these all are going to fit together really easily, trust me!" The service rep was trying to be understanding, but the techs were looking at me like I was outta my mind. I think they were shocked it went together so easily.

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
Thanks man! I actually like how yours is understated; the contrast with your exhaust tips and the style of bumper really go well together.

I do plan to get mufflers, I don't want the loudness of a muffler delete. I've got some flowmasters picked out. Flowmaster also has some 4" tips wrapped in carbon fiber. I'm wondering if they would fit without burning the garnishes/diffuser. Figure the exhaust shop can offer me some guidance there.

It was funny though, the body shop thought I was crazy. I showed up with all the other parts, and I'm like "I swear, these all are going to fit together really easily, trust me!" The service rep was trying to be understanding, but the techs were looking at me like I was outta my mind. I think they were shocked it went together so easily.
Yeah the owner of the body shop that did my quote was not sure the bumper would fit but i just kept reiterating the fact that its literally a direct fit lol But they was done within a few hours and they said it was indeed a direct fit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I Super Cleaned my car today. I followed ChrisFix's super clean video as best as I could. These are also the first decent pictures I've taken since the rear bumper swap.

I used a power washer for today's wash. While it worked well, I don't plan to use it again. I bought a foam gun attachment for it, which was the whole point of using the power washer, but it didn't connect properly. I ended up just mixing my cleaning solutions into the power washer's original reservoirs and it worked fine, but I didn't get a thick coat of foam like I was hoping.

Part of the super cleaning process was clay barring. This is the first time I've used a clay bar, and I don't think my car needed it that badly. But it was fun to do, and I think the ceramic spray went on better than in my previous pictures.

I also ordered a set of H&R Sport Springs over the weekend. Hope to get those installed this month. I was gonna go with coilovers, but I was concerned about the harshness of the ride. I will probably run these springs until my shocks (struts? I don't even know what we have) die, then upgrade those too.

Edit: changed a crucial "did" to "didn't"

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
422 Posts
Love the look of a freshly-detailed black car! Nice job!

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
I Super Cleaned my car today. I followed ChrisFix's super clean video as best as I could. These are also the first decent pictures I've taken since the rear bumper swap.

I used a power washer for today's wash. While it worked well, I don't plan to use it again. I bought a foam gun attachment for it, which was the whole point of using the power washer, but it did connect properly. I ended up just mixing my cleaning solutions into the power washer's original reservoirs and it worked fine, but I didn't get a thick coat of foam like I was hoping.

Part of the super cleaning process was clay barring. This is the first time I've used a clay bar, and I don't think my car needed it that badly. But it was fun to do, and I think the ceramic spray went on better than in my previous pictures.

I also ordered a set of H&R Sport Springs over the weekend. Hope to get those installed this month. I was gonna go with coilovers, but I was concerned about the harshness of the ride. I will probably run these springs until my shocks (struts? I don't even know what we have) die, then upgrade those too.

View attachment 26252 View attachment 26253 View attachment 26254 View attachment 26257 View attachment 26256 View attachment 26255 View attachment 26258 View attachment 26259
Unkempt this looks good!!! I see you colored your beak too looks good and front Aero looks good pretty unique TLX! Looks nice can't wait for the springs to go on!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks great! ChrisFix tutorials are awesome (y)

Don't give up on getting that foam cannon attachment to work. It's definitely a worthwhile investment and it's a great way to wash your car and keep it swirl-free.

My $.02 on foam cannons...don't buy the cheap ones on Amazon. In my experience, they don't work as well as the more expensive ones. Use a good quality foam soap like Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam or Maxi-Suds. I usually pour in about 3/4 to 1 inch of soap in the bottom of the bottle and then fill with warm water and shake it up. After you use the foam cannon, fill the bottle with warm water and spray it for about a min to clean out the cannon. You can also improve the quality of foam if you install the smaller 1.1mm orafice in your cannon. It's cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the look of a freshly-detailed black car! Nice job!
Thanks TrickVert, pretty proud of it. Took one day for a bird to poop on it though lol

Unkempt this looks good!!! I see you colored your beak too looks good and front Aero looks good pretty unique TLX! Looks nice can't wait for the springs to go on!
Thanks man, yeah having a black car makes it easy to get the vinyl matched.

Looks great! ChrisFix tutorials are awesome (y)

Don't give up on getting that foam cannon attachment to work. It's definitely a worthwhile investment and it's a great way to wash your car and keep it swirl-free.

My $.02 on foam cannons...don't buy the cheap ones on Amazon. In my experience, they don't work as well as the more expensive ones. Use a good quality foam soap like Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam or Maxi-Suds. I usually pour in about 3/4 to 1 inch of soap in the bottom of the bottle and then fill with warm water and shake it up. After you use the foam cannon, fill the bottle with warm water and spray it for about a min to clean out the cannon. You can also improve the quality of foam if you install the smaller 1.1mm orafice in your cannon. It's cheap and easy to replace.
Thanks for the tips JayJayTLX. I was pretty disappointed, actually, that the foam cannon didn't fit my power washer. I'll have to see if there is one specifically for my model of power washer. It was like $40 at Autozone. The maguiars wash I used said it was formulated for foam, but it ended up not mattering.

Also OMG all the cables and hoses from the power washes...I was tripping left and right. If I try it again I'll have to work on my cable management skills lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my stock 2016 2.4 Tech dyno-tested today. Basically, it was a waste of money, but I wanted to establish a baseline before doing any potential upgrades and I thought it might be valuable information for the community.

I peaked at 176.71 HP and 164.96 ft/lbs. It was a bit higher than I expected. I was hoping I to have gotten some evidence of my lighter wheel/tire package translating to less lost power, but it was pretty vague. The dyno chart on AFE's website for the intake is clearly using an accord, based on their low numbers. The dyno from RV6 for their downpipe shows 178 peak HP, which makes me sad, but then it was only showing 160 ft/lbs after downpipe mod. Their baseline was only 150. That's a big difference between my car and theirs, surely too big to be explained away by wheel/tire weight.

The tech had a hard time at first, but we troubleshooted together. Some tips:
1. use 5th gear (0.96 gear ratio. but 6th is like 1.22 or something)
2. Use sport+ mode
3. Disable VSA

The computer won't like you after. ABS, TPMS, and all kinds of other warnings were going off for a few minutes after finishing. Everything resolved itself except my LKAS and LDW, which don't seem to want to work again yet. I thought I could upload a video, but it seems that's not the case. I'll fiddle around with that, but here's the graph in the meantime. The VTEC sounded great in the garage.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Edit: decided to upload to youtube. I couldn't resist throwing on an After Effects filter called "Body Shop." On a side note, while I'm really happy with how my bumper looks, this angle really shows how tacky it is to be able to see the stock mufflers through the nonfunctional A-Spec exhaust finishers. All in due time.

Also, all through the 30 minute-drive home, the issues with Lane-Keep-Assist and Lane-Departure-Warning persisted. Shortly after returning home, however, I needed to run an errand, and all was back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
278 Posts
Never a waste of money to dyno the car you make me wanna dyno my V6 and see what power she's sitting at, especially since I did my dual muffler delete. I was thinking about maybe doing a RV6 downpipe later on this Summer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my lowering springs installed today.

I went with H&R Sport Springs, which claim 1.3" in front and 1.2" in back. I ordered them from Tire Rack. They were expensive to have installed (alignment was done too.) Unfortunately, the technician forgot to measure the gap before installing, so I'm not sure how much it actually dropped. At some point I'll compare what I have now to stock gap, but I haven't even measured the current setup yet.

Aesthetically, it's exactly what I was going for. Not too low, but you can tell it's been lowered. When I first looked at it, I was like "OMG what have I done?!? It's soooo low!" but that quickly subsided. I haven't driven it enough to notice huge differences in handling, but I can feel it rising up a bit on hard braking, and sitting down ever so slightly on hard acceleration. Other minute, everyday details, like the height of the handle when I go to open the door, or the closeness to the ground when I get out, are much more prevalent and make me say, "Man, this is low."

It's bouncier than I expected. Elsewhere on this forum, I mentioned that I got springs instead of coilovers because of so much anecdotal evidence of the harshness of the ride on coilovers. I think I was stupidly thinking that it would feel exactly the same, but just be lower. It does not.

I'm lucky to have a nice shop next to my work location. It's the same place I took it for that crazy nail I had a couple weeks back. When I took it in for that, the service manager brought me onto the floor to show me the nail. He was like "Man, I have no idea how this could have happened. But this is a sweet TLX." Showed a genuine respect for my car, and for my own respect of my car. He was almost as pumped as I was for how it looked after the springs were installed. It's just a random Hogan and Sons.

Anyway, pics (the first is stock springs for comparison):
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
422 Posts
Looks perfect! I'd love to lower mine, but appreciate the ride quality more than the appearance in that respect, and have no interest in spending the money I'd have to on coilovers (and then still might not like the ride).

Reactions: UnkemptStatue

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks perfect! I'd love to lower mine, but appreciate the ride quality more than the appearance in that respect, and have no interest in spending the money I'd have to on coilovers (and then still might not like the ride).
Hey thanks man! I feel ya on that. The ride is different than I expected so far, but I've only driven like 20 minutes on them. I'll spend more time with them over the weekend. I couldn't figure out if our cars had struts or shocks, but I finally figured out to just look on acurapartwarehouse. I saw that we have shocks in all four corners (I could have sworn I read we had mcpherson struts up front), so I now wish I had gotten the truhart shocks and had them installed at the same time. They're designed for cars with at least 1" of lowering spring.

FWIW, springs + labor + alignment = more than a set of tein Flex Z coilovers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A follow up to the springs:

It's still bouncier than stock, but less bouncy than my first impressions led me to believe. It has "settled" a bit, if you will. Whether or not that is me adjusting to the car, or the car adjusting to springs, I can't say. Probably a bit of both.

Obvious bumps or imperfections actually feel more subdued: joints on bridge, patched roads with clear seams, for example. Speed bumps also feel less harsh, even though I don't take them any slower than before. But less visible dips and grooves result in more bounce now. You know, those kinds of bumps that you go over and make you say, "what the heck was that? the road looked fine." Roads around me are trash, but most of them look pretty good. These dips are hard to see in the daylight because the natural light shines on them from above, casting little shadow. When I go over a bump or dip like that, it makes me actively angry at the road (but only for a second). But at night, when your headlights are shining on those dips at an almost parallel angle, they're much easier to see. When I know they're coming, I don't have a problem with them.

I can definitely take curves at higher speeds now, which is fun. Overall I'm happy with them for now, and I'm glad I had them installed. I will probably leave them alone for 6 months to a year, then get some aftermarket shocks (either those TruHart I mentioned above or the Tein Endura Pro Plus), or perhaps the RSR Sport-i coilovers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Decided to give my steering wheel a facelift as it was looking a little worn. Took me about 6 hours from beginning to end. I removed the steering wheel and took it apart to ensure the cleanest install possible but supposedly it could be done fully mounted. I'm absolutely ecstatic with how it turned out.

View attachment 26560
Wow, hey man, looking good there! Congrats!

Do you know if all the A-Spec wheels have the red stitching?

321 - 340 of 352 Posts