Acura TLX Forum banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I meant to post sooner but I installed an S-VCM controller on my 2017 V6 SH-AWD last week. Huge difference and a must have IMHO. Overall the car feels more responsive and the car drives noticeably smoother since you aren't feeling half the cylinders constantly engaging/disengaging in city driving.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I firmly believe that the cylinder shutoff feature should be a user-selectable one, as should the auto start/stop. (i.e. There should be menu options to enable, disable, or "use console push button for temporary disable.")

Reactions: hmbecker3

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I firmly believe that the cylinder shutoff feature should be a user-selectable one, as should the auto start/stop. (i.e. There should be menu options to enable, disable, or "use console push button for temporary disable.")
I hate the auto start/stop. I don't have it on my (4 cyl) TLX, but have rented a few cars over the last two years with it and find it extremely annoying.There should be a button to disable it like the LDW button.

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
@hmbecker3 I don't disagree, but with that feature (Auto-start/stop and VCM default ON) Acura can claim a certain MPG that is a legal matter. If they allow you to disable (default OFF) this fuel-saving feature, they would need to report the MPG rating with that feature disabled. So VCM and Auto-start/stop default to ON to get a better MPG rating. But you can always disable Auto start/stop but you cannot disable VCM o_O. LDW is a safety feature that does not impact MPG.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I understand the reason, I just disagree with the fact that drivers are either forced to use them, or must deactivate them each time the car is started like the auto stop-start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that auto start/stop was disabled when I installed the S-VCM controller. I now no longer have to remember to disable it every time I start the car.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I understand the reason, I just disagree with the fact that drivers are either forced to use them, or must deactivate them each time the car is started like the auto stop-start.
I agree completely. Deactivating it every time you start the car is a nuisance!

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
@hmbecker3 I don't disagree, but with that feature (Auto-start/stop and VCM default ON) Acura can claim a certain MPG that is a legal matter. If they allow you to disable (default OFF) this fuel-saving feature, they would need to report the MPG rating with that feature disabled. So VCM and Auto-start/stop default to ON to get a better MPG rating. But you can always disable Auto start/stop but you cannot disable VCM o_O. LDW is a safety feature that does not impact MPG.
Yeah, I understand. I just don't like the idea of having to disable it every time I start the car. The gas mileage you get vs the rating is very subjective to your driving habits, climate, conditions, etc. Maybe they should just publish an "expected range of MPG" and that would cover everything including if you did or didn't use auto-start/stop.

I haven't experienced what the auto-start/stop is like in the Acura. I have in Hyundai and Jeep and what annoys me about it is that when it kicks in, as you start to accelerate, the car hesitates a bit and feels like it's about to stall. Maybe it's smoother in the TLX?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I installed LED turn signal bulbs over the weekend. It does require resistors, and I found that 10-ohm 25-watt resistors worked fine. A higher value might work, too. I didn't think to try two resistors in series until after I was finished. (Higher-value resistors would draw less current, and not get as hot). They get hot? Yes. Yes, they do. I left the hazzards on for about 15 minutes, and even with the resistors screwed to metal and heat-transfer tape to help with conduction, they were roasting. They're mounted without contact to anything else, though, so they should be fine.

Comparison videos are below. The rear LED's aren't significantly brighter than the incandescents. The fronts are slightly brighter, but they also throw light in a much wider/higher pattern. My main "like" is the snappy on/off and more modern appearance.

I didn't think to take pics of my resistor mounting locations or detail the wiring. If anyone wants more info, let me know.

Reactions: hmbecker3 and MrMoo

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
186 Posts
New paddle shifter extensions. I originally thought they should be black, but the "black" in my car has a brownish hue to it (?) so I thought silver would look better, since it would also compliment to matte silver trim on the wheel and the rings surrounding the gauges. While I was waiting for them to come in, I was wishing I'd gone with black, because I thought the silver would stand out too much. Now that they're installed, however, I think I made the right choice. It will take a few days until they really blend in for me (just because they're something different).

IMG_20200701_195225397 (Large).jpg

I did not, however, "flame-out before installing," so I hope I don't run into trouble. :)

IMG_20200701_195347198 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 3.5L TLX and I changed the oil and filter and cabin air filter with these products
2017 ACURA TLX recommended synthetic oil and filter
This is top quality stuff and will help my engine last for many miles to come, cannot buy a new vehicle for a while for now. I used the same oil in a previous vehicle and it helped stop the burning of oil and the engine had no leak!

Going to look into some new seats, maybe Recaro, cool thread, I learned a lot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cleaver I like it.. .I installed a dash cam but ran to the fuse box. I like your solution.
I ended up rewiring to a constant 12VDC in the driver's side upper fuse box, because the detector takes time to aquire a GPS signal, and would scream at me every time I restarted the car outside a set of automatic doors that it had previously learned to ignore. The 4-hour auto-shutoff feature insures it won't stay on forever.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oil change, trans fluid, brake fluid, wheels cleaned and ceramic-coated, tires rotated, and a few dots of touch-up paint for good measure.

Whew! I'm pooped!

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Oil change, trans fluid, brake fluid, wheels cleaned and ceramic-coated, tires rotated, and a few dots of touch-up paint for good measure.

Whew! I'm pooped!
Nice work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a new 2020 TLX V6 Tech Pkg 4 weeks ago today. Wasn't aware that the donut(spare tire) doesn't come standard anymore, just an air compressor. Anyhow, I ordered a full size matching rim/wheel(from AcuraPartsWarehouse) for when I go on out-of-town trips so I won't be worrying about a flat, IOW, just throw on the full size spare and keep going. These pewter colored machined rims and the Lunar Silver Metallic paint really drew me to buy this TLX.

261 - 280 of 284 Posts