Acura TLX Forum banner

What Accessories are recommended??

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am nearly decided on getting the 2.4 with Tech Package :) ... I am a bit confused about what additional accessories i should get.. These are some i am thinking about:

1) All Weather Floor Mats
2) Front\Rear Splash Guards
3) Remote Engine Starter System
4) First place finish (Recommended by the Dealer) for 5 year paint and interior protection.
5)Spare Tire Kit
6)Wheel Locks

This is my first Acura. Which of the above ones would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Satyam

·
Registered
130 Posts
Where are you located? I assume it's not in Canada because I believe the remote engine starter is standard on Canadian tech models. Personally, I would get all weather floor mats and the spare tire kit but I don't think I'd get them from the dealership unless they were giving me a deal. If you're in the states, Curry Acura usually has accessories for a good deal and they ship anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the Reply!! I am in Richmond,VA and remote engine starter is not standard. Its listed as an accessory for $512. Curry Acura doesn't seem to have the accessories for TLX yet. Will check back again...

I am leaning towards not getting a spare tire kit. I cant remember the last time i had to change a tire on my current car. Also looks like TLX comes with a kit to repair a flat tire and as per the dealer that's more than sufficient.

·
Registered
438 Posts
in canada, remote engine starter is not standard for base model, you need to up the trim if you want that

but of your list of accessories, all season rubber mats is a must IMHO, but in VA which doesnt get much snow i dunno if thats necessary....

and i got wheel locks for free with my TLX so...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rubber mats depends... Do you often have muddy shoes?

Personally, I would drive the car for a while before deciding on these. They are all personal choices. My wifes TLX has trunk tray, front/rear splash guards, wheel locks, rear bumper applique, and the side molding. She got these because they where thrown in for free. The only one she needs/wanted is the trunk tray. She needed that because she puts her works stuff in the trunk.

The spare tire kit is one I am not sure on. On one hand it has been a long time since I had a flat, and without it, the car weighs less and saves gas. On the other hand the tire repair kit will not help for a big hole (which I have never had). I think I lean on not needed it. After all, most people have a cell phone to call a tow truck if it is that bad.

Oh, my vote in the poll is None, but that is not a choice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Personally, I think the rubber all weather mats and the trunk tray are good additions regardless where you live.
I think I will be also adding the door edge film and the hood film (invisible bra). Need to ask the dealer if they offer the hood film option as it is not listed under "Accessories" on the Acura.ca site.
I think I would also like to have the bumper and front end covered but it will be most likely too expensive to my likening.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had the rubber mats in my 09 TSX from the very begining. Great in winter, great in summer (sand especially). Would never go back to the thin carpet mats that give in a few years from depressing the brake pedal. The rubber ones look like new 5.5 years later. No brainer there for me.
Trunk rubber mat - great in winter (going skiing/snowboarding), great in summer (going to the beach and boy the sand would get everywhere) - is a must.
Also want to get the front clear film to protect the paint. My TSX should have had it for sure.
The spare tire - let's just say I didn't need it for a decade until last year where I ran over a wrench (never saw it when I was changing lanes, see the pics) and was dropping off time sensitive documents - spare tire saved my behind or it would have cost me a lot more than just the tire. 6 months later some neighborhood punk slashed 1 tire on the inside wall (and to a bunch of other neighbors, see the pics) and that morning I was headed to an important event. Spare tire saved the day. So I don't buy the argument that a tow truck is only a phone call away. The fuel consumption is not going to go up so dramatically just because you put a spare in. How many times we have all this extra stuff in the car all the time & never complain how it is fuel inefficient.

Here's a website that offers OEM accessories for cheaper than dealers do:
2015 Acura TLX, Acura Parts Super Store- Acura Accessories and Parts for sale online for a discount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the various paint protection products that are recommended? Xzilon is the one being offered by my dealer. Wondering if it's worth the cost to protect the paint, prevent water spots, etc., vs a really good coat of wax.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Most of these seem more luxury items than necessary. It totally depends where you live and what your TLX will be going through on a daily basis. For example, I would only get the remote starter if you live somewhere where it gets cold enough that you'd really have to warm up your engine before getting on the road.

The weather tech mats are always a good thing to have though.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I am nearly decided on getting the 2.4 with Tech Package :) ... I am a bit confused about what additional accessories i should get.. These are some i am thinking about:

1) All Weather Floor Mats
2) Front\Rear Splash Guards
3) Remote Engine Starter System
4) First place finish (Recommended by the Dealer) for 5 year paint and interior protection.
5)Spare Tire Kit
6)Wheel Locks

This is my first Acura. Which of the above ones would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Satyam
Personally I went with the I4 Tech package as well. I am sure you will be happy with it.

At one time I lived in Waldorf, Maryland outside of DC. I could see the remote engine start being handy, but I am not sure if I could justify it to myself because winters weren't all that bad. Anywhere north of that, I would consider it more. But now I live in South Florida.

The reason I got the accessories was because I got a voucher for $500 worth, not counting installation. Installation charges are outrageous, but you might be able to haggle on that.

For accessories, I went with the spare tire so I don't have to rely on anyone but myself. I am really reliable. I also got the trunk carpet mat and the cargo hooks. Besides the spare tire, I was mainly looking for a way to spend the $500. Although I really enjoy the cargo hooks to keep my bags from flying around the trunk. My dealer threw in the wheel locks for "free".

I stayed with the standard carpets because they look really nice. I also am not anywhere near mud or snow or excessive water. I usually drive from the house to work or to dinner or elsewhere that has good, paved parking lots. I live in a house and not on a farm.

One thing to consider is the installation charges. I was tempted to get the $675 fog lights but found out after installation they cost over $1000. :eek:

Good luck! What color did you get? :)

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
The spare tire - let's just say I didn't need it for a decade until last year where I ran over a wrench (never saw it when I was changing lanes, see the pics) and was dropping off time sensitive documents - spare tire saved my behind or it would have cost me a lot more than just the tire. 6 months later some neighborhood punk slashed 1 tire on the inside wall (and to a bunch of other neighbors, see the pics) and that morning I was headed to an important event. Spare tire saved the day. So I don't buy the argument that a tow truck is only a phone call away. The fuel consumption is not going to go up so dramatically just because you put a spare in. How many times we have all this extra stuff in the car all the time & never complain how it is fuel inefficient.
I loved the photos. I also went with the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For all the Canucks on this forum that want paint protection, you could try this 3M Paint Defender System from Canadian Tire.

3M Paint Defender System

I haven't tried it yet myself but it looks interesting. I like how it's spray on so you don't have to worry about strange contours on your car. Also, you can peel it off if you mess up. Lastly, I like how I can do my entire hood. With those transparent films, you can always see the line on the hood where dirt accumulates, especially on lighter cars.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thx willy18, this could be it although I am not sure I would trust my shaky hands for application :) Definitely a cost effective option, may decide to try it out on my other older car first.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
It might be worth checking out the Weathertech mats. I've been using them in my past few cars and they are a lot better than the rubber mats that are normally offered by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BTW, Consumer Reports is the one that said manufacturers are removing spare tires to cut weight and get better miles per gallon. I also wonder if it makes much of a difference.

I like the idea that someone else had of replacing the styrofoam where the tire repair kit is with one that gives more storage space. That way if you don't get the spare tire, at least you have extra hidden storage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My list of OEM accessories
-Wheel locks
-Front and rear splash guards
-Folding trunk tray
Just ordered from eBay was -LED foglight kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't know wheel locks wasn't part of the deal. Luckily, I checked my gloved department and it was there. (wipes forehead) The main two things I would recommend before leaving the dealership is spare tire and weather mats. I got mine for free but like other posters you can order them online. It's something about the Acura weather mats that I love when I enter the car and see TLX written on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the rubber mats in my 09 TSX from the very begining. Great in winter, great in summer (sand especially). Would never go back to the thin carpet mats that give in a few years from depressing the brake pedal. The rubber ones look like new 5.5 years later. No brainer there for me.
Trunk rubber mat - great in winter (going skiing/snowboarding), great in summer (going to the beach and boy the sand would get everywhere) - is a must.
Also want to get the front clear film to protect the paint. My TSX should have had it for sure.

Here's a website that offers OEM accessories for cheaper than dealers do:
2015 Acura TLX, Acura Parts Super Store- Acura Accessories and Parts for sale online for a discount.

He just was wondering, what exact rims are on the vehicle pictured? They look awesome! Want them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Teaser pic.

Received my OEM fogs this week.
Decided to try out Optic blue Lamin-x.
Very subtle look I think.
If I don't like the output I'll swap them for yellow.
I hope to have them installed very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Very nice. That's something I always wanted to do but the prices at the dealer are high. Are you doing them yourself? If so a DIY would be a great addition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts