Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my TLX tech remote transmitter (key fob) was water damaged (accidentally got into our washer). Any idea how to pop open, trying to remove the battery and clean it with alcohol. And also, any idea how to fix it other than using alcohol?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it works. i can remove the battery out. But i can smell soap all over, it is quite dry now, might be too late after few days, not sure what to do now,
Should I clean it with alcohol?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,998 Posts
Stick it in a bag of rice for a day or so as @TLX2014 said. That should absorb any water if there's any left. If that doesn't work take the battery from your other remote to see if you might just need a new battery. If that doesn't work you might need a new remote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Actually if you can smell soap from it I would rinse it in clean water, shake and dray as much as possible and then put it in the bag of rice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
In my opinion its a 50/50 shot of it getting damaged more by rinsing it off to get the soap residue off.
I say this because wasn't there another post that said that even if you remove the replaceable battery there is another permanent battery in the remote?

At the same time though it made it through a wash cycle and still works!
 

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks, it works. i can remove the battery out. But i can smell soap all over, it is quite dry now, might be too late after few days, not sure what to do now,
Should I clean it with alcohol?
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed your first post.

While you are fixing your issue and waiting for your fob to dry, please tell us more about you and your TLX experience. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
In my opinion its a 50/50 shot of it getting damaged more by rinsing it off to get the soap residue off.
I say this because wasn't there another post that said that even if you remove the replaceable battery there is another permanent battery in the remote?

At the same time though it made it through a wash cycle and still works!
Page 468 in the owner's manual. This addresses the remote start FOB. The replaceable battery is a CR 2032, and then there is a rechargeable battery permanently installed. I assume it is recharged by the CR2032 as there is no further mention of how to recharge it.

My concern would be that the water and agitation of the water in the washing machine could damage the circuitry especially since there seems to be some kind of power emitted from the FOB constantly - think puddle lights illuminating when just approaching the vehicle.

At this point I would suggest getting the FOB as clean and dry as possible and possibly replacing the CR2032 and seeing if it works. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
All might be lost if he pressed and buttons while there was still any moisture on the circuit board inside the fob, shorting it out. Or he could be lucky and the batteries could have shorted out during the washing, then replacing the one battery will work, but worried about the status and connectivity of the internal battery.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top