Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leased my TLX back in April. Wife insisted we get the wheel and tire coverage BC it is 19" wheels with low profile tires. We pulled the trigger on it.

Roll forward to yesterday 3 months and 1 day after I signed. We attempt to use the warranty only to be told it was cancelled. I call the warranty company myself and they tell me it was cancelled by the dealer. The date? The day after I purchased/signed for the car. I did not take it back to the dealer I purchased from as it is in a bordering state, 50 minute drive or so.

I call the dealer and get suggestions I cancelled the warranty and he doesn't have anyone to look it up right then (after 4:30p) He will call me back the next day (today) 1pm today rolls around and no call. Wifey calls him and he still hasn't looked into this. Conveniently the dealer's power just went out before she called. How are the phones working then? Most office phones plug into an outlet for power in my experience. Anyway I finally get a call at 2:30p or so stating the warranty is now re-instated. I've not been able to call myself and confirm that yet.

Does this sound like a clerical error or a scam to you guys? Am I wrong to write a poor online review? I've also contacted the dealers corporate office and I am considering calling Acura as well.

·
Super Moderator
827 Posts
Sorry to say but dealers are some of the lowest scum life around. They will take your money and do their best to give you little or nothing back in return. The finance guy in every dealer is the king of the crooks for each dealer. They are the big money makers and do their best to "cheat" as many customers as possible. Sure they can get caught, but they understand that they will have a new job a year or two down the road; and if they get caught they have a list of excuses ready to use.

Extended warranties are how they make most their money, often never turning in the paperwork and just hoarding all the money. With a chip shortage creating a shortage of new cars, dealerships are relying on other means to make as much money on every car. They will warranty anything to get more money from each customer.

But to answer your question: Does this sound like a clerical error or a scam? The dealership knows if Acura, the attorney general, or even local TV consumers find out, that would be very bad publicity. They will make good on it after running you around a bit (on the hope you will just go away). Keep pushing, they will make good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't understand. The leased car has a factory warranty. Are the wheels Acura OEM equipment? Not aftermarket, correct? Are you trying to insure them against theft? Or failure? 19" factory wheels are no more prone to failure than any other factory wheels. I just don't see the need for additional warranty coverage for wheels and tires on a brand new car. I bought an extended warranty after the factory warranty ended. You were scammed bad.

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
409 Posts
It sounds like this was not a "warranty," but more of an "insurance policy," much like road hazzard coverage for tires. Regardless, I think the dealer took the OP's money and cancelled the policy playing the odds it would never come into play. The "power outage" and "no staff" delays gave them time to get it reinstated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand. The leased car has a factory warranty. Are the wheels Acura OEM equipment? Not aftermarket, correct? Are you trying to insure them against theft? Or failure? 19" factory wheels are no more prone to failure than any other factory wheels. I just don't see the need for additional warranty coverage for wheels and tires on a brand new car. I bought an extended warranty after the factory warranty ended. You were scammed bad.
It's a road hazard warranty and will repair or replace a wheel if damaged, even curb rash. It will replace an unrepairable tire.

You are telling me larger diameter lower profile tires/wheels are not more prone to damage from potholes? You do understand a smaller diameter wheel has more tire before the wheel gets hit right?

I have Premium coverage.

Update: The warranty was re-instated and I have my replacement tire.

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
409 Posts
Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I can understand why there was confusion. You said "warranty" which covers failure due to defects. A 19" wheel (or tire) is no more prone to this than a 17". "Road hazzard coverage" is a completely different animal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I can understand why there was confusion. You said "warranty" which covers failure due to defects. A 19" wheel (or tire) is no more prone to this than a 17". "Road hazzard coverage" is a completely different animal.
The link to the product shows they call themselves a warranty, not my words theirs really. I'm amazed nobody has been offered one before???

·
Registered
409 Posts
The only place I see "Warranty" mentioned is in the company name. Everything else refers to "road hazzard protection." (?)

"Even the most cautious drivers encounter a flat tire or damaged wheel along the way. Help safeguard your tires with the road hazard tire and wheel protection plan.

Road Hazard Tire & Wheel Protection Plan repairs or replaces tires damaged by Road Hazards, which include debris on the road surface or..."

Regardless, you're all set now, which is the important part. As to whether or not to write a review, I'd probably tell everyone I knew about my experience, but I don't think I'd put it in writing in a review.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I leased my TLX back in April. Wife insisted we get the wheel and tire coverage BC it is 19" wheels with low profile tires. We pulled the trigger on it.

Roll forward to yesterday 3 months and 1 day after I signed. We attempt to use the warranty only to be told it was cancelled. I call the warranty company myself and they tell me it was cancelled by the dealer. The date? The day after I purchased/signed for the car. I did not take it back to the dealer I purchased from as it is in a bordering state, 50 minute drive or so.

I call the dealer and get suggestions I cancelled the warranty and he doesn't have anyone to look it up right then (after 4:30p) He will call me back the next day (today) 1pm today rolls around and no call. Wifey calls him and he still hasn't looked into this. Conveniently the dealer's power just went out before she called. How are the phones working then? Most office phones plug into an outlet for power in my experience. Anyway I finally get a call at 2:30p or so stating the warranty is now re-instated. I've not been able to call myself and confirm that yet.

Does this sound like a clerical error or a scam to you guys? Am I wrong to write a poor online review? I've also contacted the dealers corporate office and I am considering calling Acura as well.
Doubt it's a scam, the finance guy gets a chargeback when that stuff gets cancelled. They have to log in and push a button to cancel it, so either someone messed up or it wasn't documented on the paperwork that you purchased it which also makes no sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doubt it's a scam, the finance guy gets a chargeback when that stuff gets cancelled. They have to log in and push a button to cancel it, so either someone messed up or it wasn't documented on the paperwork that you purchased it which also makes no sense.
The warranty company had a record of the purchase and cancellation the next day. They are the ones that gave me the cancellation date over the phone. There is no doubt the dealer cancelled it the day after I bought it.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
152 Posts
The warranty company had a record of the purchase and cancellation the next day. They are the ones that gave me the cancellation date over the phone. There is no doubt the dealer cancelled it the day after I bought it.
It still sounds to me like you have a dealer that cancels warranties on customers that they don't think will use them. If you acted like you didn't want it, I'm wondering if they took that as a sign. Very suspicious. I'm going to find out how good my dealer is at the end of October. I let them talk me into the pre-paid maintenance and they talked me into one of the highest levels. I don't really drive my car that much but they insisted that it was worth the trouble because I could get the service based on time no matter how many miles that I've driven or what the CBS monitor says. The contract that I got didn't say that and I made them provide me with an email stating that they would honor the agreement made at the point of sale. We'll see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It still sounds to me like you have a dealer that cancels warranties on customers that they don't think will use them. If you acted like you didn't want it, I'm wondering if they took that as a sign. Very suspicious. I'm going to find out how good my dealer is at the end of October. I let them talk me into the pre-paid maintenance and they talked me into one of the highest levels. I don't really drive my car that much but they insisted that it was worth the trouble because I could get the service based on time no matter how many miles that I've driven or what the CBS monitor says. The contract that I got didn't say that and I made them provide me with an email stating that they would honor the agreement made at the point of sale. We'll see.
I mean wifey and I are a team during the sales process. She wants to buy, I say it's too much, we often work prices down doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts