Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Quick intro...had my TLX for almost a year now. So far so good.

I'm working on a folding mirror mod. However the Canadian (Tech version) mirror wire harnesses I ordered do not have any connector to the mirror motors. In fact, those two harnesses are exactly the same as mine (US V6 Advanced model.) Unfortunately I found that out after spending 2 hours taking apart the door panel, trim, side mirrors...=(

Here are the part numbers:
- 76256-TZ3-A21 Driver's side mirror wire harness
- 76206-TZ3-A21 Passenger's side mirror wire harness

I know that sounds odd even though the Canadian Tech model has power folding mirror, but I personally visited a Canadian Acura dealership in Toronto to look up the the parts in the online Honda Tech Info system and compared the Base vs Tech vs Elite models. Too bad that they don't have pictures of the parts.

Now I'm trying to lookup the wire harnesses for the Elite model...hopefully those will work. Calling the Canadian dealership soon.

Cheers,
John

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Let us know how you make out with the mod. I'm sure others would like to see a DIY if you manage to get it working.

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
Hi everyone,

Quick intro...had my TLX for almost a year now. So far so good.

I'm working on a folding mirror mod. However the Canadian (Tech version) mirror wire harnesses I ordered do not have any connector to the mirror motors. In fact, those two harnesses are exactly the same as mine (US V6 Advanced model.) Unfortunately I found that out after spending 2 hours taking apart the door panel, trim, side mirrors...=(

Here are the part numbers:
- 76256-TZ3-A21 Driver's side mirror wire harness
- 76206-TZ3-A21 Passenger's side mirror wire harness

I know that sounds odd even though the Canadian Tech model has power folding mirror, but I personally visited a Canadian Acura dealership in Toronto to look up the the parts in the online Honda Tech Info system and compared the Base vs Tech vs Elite models. Too bad that they don't have pictures of the parts.

Now I'm trying to lookup the wire harnesses for the Elite model...hopefully those will work. Calling the Canadian dealership soon.

Cheers,
John
Not sure I can help, but I would love to see some pictures of the area when taken apart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some photos showing the original driver side mirror with the outside cover, mirror and mirror actuator motor removed:
- US V6 Adv - Driver Side Mirror - 1a.jpg
- US V6 Adv - Driver Side Mirror - 2a.jpg

Two photos of the Driver side power folding mirror:
- Driver Side Power Folding Mirror - 1a.jpg
- Driver Side Power Folding Mirror - 2a.jpg (this shows a part between the mirror motor and the connector).

And this is (so far) the most troubling part:
- 76256-TZ3-A21 Driver's side mirror wire harness - a.jpg

I got in touch with a Canadian Acura part advisor and found out that actually "76256-TZ3-A21" is for the Elite model. Again, that is exactly the same as the harness as mine.

Here are the different part numbers between Base/Tech/Elite:

DRIVER SIDE:
76256-TZ3-A01 – BASE MODEL
76256-TZ3-A21 – ELITE MODEL
76256-TZ3-C01 – TECH MODEL

PASSENGER SIDE:
76206-TZ3-A01 – BASE MODEL
76206-TZ3-A21 – ELITE MODEL
76206-TZ3-C01 – TECH MODEL

The journey continues...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Strange that there would be different part numbers in Canada as the folding mirrors are on the Tech and the Elite. I probably don't need to tell you that though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange that there would be different part numbers in Canada as the folding mirrors are on the Tech and the Elite. I probably don't need to tell you that though.
Very odd indeed. So far I've talked to 3 separate Acura dealerships in Canada and they all gave me the same part numbers. I just can't see how either the driver or passenger side harness connect to the mirror motor.

All the plugs on the harness are used up for:
- mirror actuator
- heated mirror
- auto-dimming
- turn signal
- puddle light

Wish I have access to a Canadian TLX mirror to open it up and take a look =(

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Actually the puddle light and the auto dimming are only available in the Elite. It may explain the different part numbers for the harness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How hard are they to take apart? I've never looked at mine.
The first time it took me a while because I couldn't see the clips and was afraid to break something. Here's my estimate now after doing it a couple of times:

- <5 mins: Removing the mirror from the actuator and disconnecting the heated mirror and auto-dimming wires.
- <5 mins: Removing the actuator and disconnecting 2 wires. Note: 3 torx (star) screws. See attached pictures.
- Here comes the tricky part to take apart the visor and the mirror housing. Removing the 4 torx screws was easy. However these are 2 clips holding up the visor and the housing. My recommendation is...do not rush. See the removal instructions attached. You'll disconnect the mirror turn signal in this step.
- You'll need to remove a "flap" on the bottom of the mirror assembly to unplug the puddle light.

I've replaced the mirror switch with the new one. It's plug-n-play as far as the mirror movement function goes. See attached picture.

BTW, I was search on another forum and found someone did a similar mod on his RL. I'm checking whether I need a different actuator for power folding mirror.

I agree with your comment regarding the puddle/auto-dimming on the Elite model. I'm sure that I have the Elite wire harness. It's frustrating that there's not much info online regarding the Canadian part numbers.

More to come...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
What's involved in removing the mirror from the actuator?

I wonder if the auto dimming function is just a matter of changing the harness for the models that don't have it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's involved in removing the mirror from the actuator?

I wonder if the auto dimming function is just a matter of changing the harness for the models that don't have it?
Removing the mirror is pretty straight forward. See attached for the step-by-step instructions. The wires/conntectors on the right-hand side of this picture are for heated-mirror and auto-dimming: http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/attachments/tlx-owners-check-area/9465d1446917083-hello-img_1812b.jpg

However I'm not sure what is the mechanism triggering the auto-dimming feature.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I'm just not sure if I want to take my mirror apart. I have a feeling that something would get broken.

I did a bit of research this afternoon and came across these part numbers. Have you already seen those?

76254-TZ3-Y02 Driver's side mirror base with folding motor
76204-TZ3-Y02 Passenger's side mirror base with folding motor

As for the auto dimming, I wonder if it's just the connector on the harness that activates something in the mirror itself?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm just not sure if I want to take my mirror apart. I have a feeling that something would get broken.

I did a bit of research this afternoon and came across these part numbers. Have you already seen those?

76254-TZ3-Y02 Driver's side mirror base with folding motor
76204-TZ3-Y02 Passenger's side mirror base with folding motor

As for the auto dimming, I wonder if it's just the connector on the harness that activates something in the mirror itself?
Yes, I've got those already. Here's the picture of the driver's side one: http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/attachments/how-diy/9417d1446861035-want-change-us-mirrors-canadian-motorized-mirrors-driver-side-power-folding-mirror-1a.jpg

I suspect that the power mirror motor connector is connecting to the actuator ...probably the power folding mirror version uses a different actuator...wish I have access to the Canadian version of Honda Tech Online.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Ok. So you've got the base with the motor and you've got the correct harness. I'm assuming that the new switch in the door has power and is connected to the harness? You'd think power to the motor through the harness would be all that you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. So you've got the base with the motor and you've got the correct harness. I'm assuming that the new switch in the door has power and is connected to the harness? You'd think power to the motor through the harness would be all that you need.
In another forum, someone who made a similar mod on a 2nd gen RL said that he needed to get power folding mirror-specific actuators (L and R have different part numbers.)

The attached picture shows the outer ring indicating that it's an auto-dimming mirror. When you remove the mirror you'll see 3 wires connecting to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Ok. Makes sense. I'll need to do some research of my own to see how hard it would be to make the mirrors on the Tech auto dimming. Looks like the mirror itself as well as a different harness.

If the actuators have different part numbers, that may be what you are missing. It sounds like you've changed everything else.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
In another forum, someone who made a similar mod on a 2nd gen RL said that he needed to get power folding mirror-specific actuators (L and R have different part numbers.)

The attached picture shows the outer ring indicating that it's an auto-dimming mirror. When you remove the mirror you'll see 3 wires connecting to it.
I came across this document earlier. It's for the TLX. It seems to confirm that the power folding mirrors do have a different actuator.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Bad news: 2 separate Acura Canada dealerships told me that the actuator cannot be ordered separately. In fact, there's no separate part number on the diagram (?!) and the entire mirror assembly has to be ordered. That doesn't make sense. See attached "Canadian TLX Elite Mirrors.JPG (TZ34B4300B)". The US TLX mirror actuator is listed separately ...see "US TLX Mirrors.JPG (TZ34B4300A)" - item # 12 (Part Number: 76210-STX-H03). Everything else looks the same except that # 12 seems "hidden" in the Canadian version.

I've just removed my mirror actuator (again) and confirmed that there's no where for the mirror motor to connect to it...just wanted to make sure in case I missed it. Somehow I feel like the US model is pre-wired for this (since mine basically has the Elite mirror wire harness), but it's hard to tell unless I get hold of the correct actuator.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I've got those already. Here's the picture of the driver's side one: http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/attachments/how-diy/9417d1446861035-want-change-us-mirrors-canadian-motorized-mirrors-driver-side-power-folding-mirror-1a.jpg

I suspect that the power mirror motor connector is connecting to the actuator ...probably the power folding mirror version uses a different actuator...wish I have access to the Canadian version of Honda Tech Online.
Hi there if you buy the complete power folding mirrors along with sub wiring harness for driver and passenger side along with the mirror switch would that help?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts