Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I leave my V4 TLX running but walk away with the key. why can't I lock the doors while keeping the engine running. Also if someone where to try and drive away with the car without the key would it automatically shutoff?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Buddy did this with his infiniti. Started it BUT drove away without the fob. Engine shut down after 10 minutes on a country road

And yes - his cell was with his fob ;)

Fio the tlx i am not sure how far you can drive fob-less

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nk, need a trailer vehicle for sure....

I have gone into Tims with the engine running for 5+ minutes, no issues returning.

·
Registered
681 Posts
All in all then its no different than leaving your keys in the car i guess

·
Registered
727 Posts
Buddy did this with his infiniti. Started it BUT drove away without the fob. Engine shut down after 10 minutes on a country road

And yes - his cell was with his fob ;)

Fio the tlx i am not sure how far you can drive fob-less
That is how I think most systems should be.
At least if someone was to steal it, the farthest they'd get away is somewhere within 10 minutes driving distance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So is that how the push-start system works with the keys? If I don't have the keys inside the car it will shut off in 10 minutes? I thought it had some sort of range detection so if the keys are too far away from the car it will shout off. How does the car even sense that the keys haven't been near to the car for 10 minutes and then shut off. There has to been a radius detection programmed i'm guessing..

·
Registered
666 Posts
P163 of the Handbook states that there is a warning buzzer and message if the remote is taken out of the vehicle. There is nothing in the handbook about an automatic shut off of the engine. Doing this would be dangereous. Imagine being the highway and the engine suddenly cutting out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is how I think most systems should be.
At least if someone was to steal it, the farthest they'd get away is somewhere within 10 minutes driving distance.

I did learn that lesson on my first trip to the car wash. Took the fob with me and wasn't long before an attendant came running in to get the fob because the car shut down.

·
Registered
681 Posts
P163 of the Handbook states that there is a warning buzzer and message if the remote is taken out of the vehicle. There is nothing in the handbook about an automatic shut off of the engine. Doing this would be dangereous. Imagine being the highway and the engine suddenly cutting out.
Completely agree. I would hope its a distance/radius thing...

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

So is that how the push-start system works with the keys? If I don't have the keys inside the car it will shut off in 10 minutes? I thought it had some sort of range detection so if the keys are too far away from the car it will shout off. How does the car even sense that the keys haven't been near to the car for 10 minutes and then shut off. There has to been a radius detection programmed i'm guessing..
Welcome to the Forum! I am glad to see you made your first post.

Tells us more about yourself and your TLX dreams or experiences. :)

It's really the FOB that is the "key" to the car working. The internal key can be left at home. BTW, the internal key is the valet key or can be used to lock the glove compartment. If you don't have the FOB in the car, you cannot start the car.

Once the car is started and you throw the FOB out of the window as you drive away, the car will remain running. Once you turn off the engine you will not be able to restart it without the FOB.

I have heard instances where the wife had the FOB and was dropped off to do grocery shopping. The husband then heard the warning beeps but still was able to park the car. Once he stopped the engine he could not restart it. He went into the store to find his wife and borrow her FOB.

I have not heard of any instances where the car cut off after 10 minutes.

I also found out that if I leave the car door open when the engine is running, leave the gear in park, and walk away, the car does not beep. If I just close the door and walk away in the same manner otherwise, it will beep. I have only found that the beeps happen once.

The above is what I believe to be true. Let me know if you discover otherwise. The V6 may act differently than my I4.

:)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I did learn that lesson on my first trip to the car wash. Took the fob with me and wasn't long before an attendant came running in to get the fob because the car shut down.
Did the car shut itself down or did the attendant? :confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
A little off topic but...Once I inadvertently left my fob in my tool bag and placed it in the trunk. I closed the deck lid, only to have it "beep beep beep" at me and open the lid. Not knowing what had happened, I tried again only to have it beep and pop open again. It knows when your fob is in the trunk...

Reactions: Wes Beard and HAx5

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
A little off topic but...Once I inadvertently left my fob in my tool bag and placed it in the trunk. I closed the deck lid, only to have it "beep beep beep" at me and open the lid. Not knowing what had happened, I tried again only to have it beep and pop open again. It knows when your fob is in the trunk...

This I knew. My salesperson showed me this when I picked up the car. A nice feature for sure. This is coming from someone who has locked their keys in the trunk before. ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
This I knew. My salesperson showed me this when I picked up the car. A nice feature for sure. This is coming from someone who has locked their keys in the trunk before. ;)
I can relate.

And that happened with an older car of mine I bought used.

Ended up having to call a lock smith to open my trunk, no other option!

·
Registered
238 Posts
So if I were being carjacked, would I help my situation by throwing the FOB out the window and continuing to drive? Or exiting the car at first chance with the FOB?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts