Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought TLX V6 AWD w/ Tech last week from a dealership in Northern Virginia... after much negotiation price came to $36,500 for car+freight in US dollars. Out the door with everything included without any accessories came to $39,500. (at least I hope it was a good deal..)

Dealer location and timing was key. I drove 3hours to Washington DC area to buy in Northern VA because it's one of the wealthiest places in the US, about 10 acura dealerships in a 40mile radius. Besides when I test drove it a couple months beforehand and decided this was the vehicle I wanted, I never stepped foot in another Acura dealership until I showed up to sign the paperwork and I was out the door in an hour... did it all via email. It's much easier to not get pressured when you aren't dealing with a human in your face.

It was also the end of the month (May). The dealership I bought from had an aggressive Memorial Day sale, which they extended through the last week of May so it seemed like they were definitely trying to get their sales numbers up for the month. My salesmen was also at 19 cars sold for the month, and he was about to give his left leg to make me be his 20th sale for his bonus, so I bought it on May 31st and he got his bonus.

I basically emailed the highest volume dealership in the area (Pohanka Acura - they are the largest Acura dealer in the US actually) and told them I had already test driven the car, and I was ready to buy as soon as I got the right price so what is your lowest price. They quoted me $38,000 car+destination. Took that number to a second dealership and asked them to beat which they did. Took it back one more time to the original dealer and told them they were beat and I was going with the other guys. They basically said they refused to be denied and then I got the $36,500 for car+destination. I'm sure I could have kept taking it back and forth and shaved a hundred buck off each time, but I decided enough was enough and didn't wanna end up with everyone hating each other at the end of it all by putting everyone through that.

I then made one more call to my local dealership (the only one in a 80 mile radius) and said can you match in order to save the long drive. They said wow, we won't match because that's priced at a loss for us so go take their deal and that was that.

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
...Out the door with everything included without any accessories came to $39,500...
Does this include sales tax?
Licensing, registration or any of the other stuff the state or county grabs at car sales time?

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
Yes, you got a good deal. You must also live in a state with low taxes. In NY, we get to give away 8% (or more) on every purchase!! (Some foods may be tax-free tho!!)
So my state tax was over $3000
Got to pay for downstate!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, you got a good deal. You must also live in a state with low taxes. In NY, we get to give away 8% (or more) on every purchase!! (Some foods may be tax-free tho!!)
So my state tax was over $3000
Got to pay for downstate!!
Canadians don't have it anywhere near as good as that, taxed for everything and come time for tax return, get back nothing!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good on you. That is how you buy a car. You've got to be a shark. Look for a dealership that is weak and capitalize. Really, the salesman was getting a good deal too. Salesman basically live or die by those bonuses. It will be a happy June for him and his family; maybe they can afford a vacation now.

Congrats. I like reading stories like this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice going! So I am looking to buy a car around the 1st of July... do you have any tips on whether I should:
- start e-mailing dealers around June 29th
- wait for a potential 4th of July sale (but each day from July 1st will add up since I will be in a rental car)

and any other tips on how to negotiate? I'm planning to do it via e-mail...
and do any dealerships charge higher for different colors?

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice going! So I am looking to buy a car around the 1st of July... do you have any tips on whether I should:
- start e-mailing dealers around June 29th
- wait for a potential 4th of July sale (but each day from July 1st will add up since I will be in a rental car)

and any other tips on how to negotiate? I'm planning to do it via e-mail...
and do any dealerships charge higher for different colors?

thanks
If you want to be aggressive in getting the price down, it's rather easy - especially if you do it through email because it's basically pressure free in my opinion. It only took me about 48 hours of exchanging emails to get the price I wanted. I will say, however, its essential to go to an area with multiple Acura dealerships. If you live in a medium sized city with one dealership in a 100 mile radius you wouldn't get anything lower than say $39K for car+destination on the V6Tech w/ AWD. I WOULD NOT wait on a holiday sale, those are usually dubious and focused on things like cheap lease offers with high upfront payment, or like 0% financing on one specific trim level car that you can't combine with any other offer.

Just email a dealer saying you already got the TLX picked out and you're just waiting on the right price to buy... ask for like 2K below MSRP to start or just let them make an initial offer. Then just take it to another dealer and ask them to beat. Then take it back to the original dealer or go to a third dealer and ask them to beat. If you're in a very competitive area like Northern VA with high volume high pressure dealerships, they will almost certainly beat the other guy. It's pretty simple. Even after I emailed the other dealership I was talking with to tell them I was done negotiating and gonna go with their competitor, in their exit email they basically said they woulda still gone lower to get my business and it was my loss.. Oh well.

The next step is DO NOT GET HOSED on financing and your tradein. You should be fighting for every $1K on your tradein just as much as you would fight on the price of the car. I didn't trade my old Civic in because I knew I wouldn't get a fair price on it.. it has a couple dings on the body and chipping paint on the bumper and I knew the dealer would crucify me for it on the price. Dealerships aren't interested in your trade. What would an Acura dealership do with your old Chevy? They would just take it to auction to get pennies on the dollar so that is what they will offer you it. I opted to sell my old Civic private party so that's a decision you will have to make.

When it comes to financing, come in to the dealership financing office with an offer from an outside bank already on the table. They ran my credit during the initial paperwork and they knew I had good credit (score 795) and the first thing the financing guy asked as I sat down was "OK, do you have a quote from an outside bank I have to beat?". I ended up just going with Acura's 1.9% financing because I plan on paying off the car in 6 months anyways the rate wasn't that important to me.

If you are serious about buying the TLX, PM me and I can send you the offer sheet one of the VA dealerships sent me saying they would do $35,900 for just the car with no fees included (not even freight) for V6 Tech AWD. If that is close to what you want trimwise, you might be able to use that as a starting point in your negotiations.

Good luck.

Oh, and lastly, no there was not a price change for different colors. I went to Pohanka Acura and basically they remind you at every opportunity they are the largest volume Acura dealer in the country.... they literally had at least 75 TLX's on the lot so color was a total nonissue, but I can't speak to smaller dealerships.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts