Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing the same issue as SUMMEREST:
I went out to the car for lunch and I found two major system problems.
#1 . Emissions System Problem with a cute cutout of an engine in yellow.
#2 . Electric Parking Brake Problem with a cute P with an ! mark in yellow.
Also on the MID, I got a display and verbal message, Parking Brake System:U0401-68. The Electric Parking Brake may not operate properly. Select VOICE for details.

That thread has been closed. However there was no clear resolution to the electric brake issue. I have experienced this problem a half dozen times. The first 3 times I thought it was an anomaly.
I encountered the problem last weekend and dropped the car off last Saturday (3-21-15). Acura re-loaded the software and drove it extensively and deemed the problem resolve.
This past Friday the same two warnings displayed. Acura said to bring the car in. On the way there I stopped at Home Depot. When I came out I could not move the car. The electric brake was engaged. I tried forward, reverse. Turned the car of and on several times. All to no avail. Acura told me to call the 800 emergency towing. It took the tow truck driver a half hour to get the vehicle on the flat bed due to the wheels being locked.
The car was left at the dealer by noon on Friday and as yet I have no status update on what is wrong or when it will be fixed. NOTE: When unloading the car I found that the brake had disengaged but the warnings were still there.
I am very concerned that this could be a very serious safety issue if the brake suddenly engages while driving in traffic and/or on an Interstate.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Hopefully the issue with the brake coming on is only when the car isn't moving and something with the software telling it to engage is the issue. I can see why you'd be worried though. When you don't know why it's doing something it's easy to lose trust in the system that's causing the issue.

·
Registered
666 Posts
OK, you are very concerned, I get that, but if you start thinking about the worst possible consequences you may as well put the car up for sale as soon as you get it back. Trust the dealer to locate and rectify the problem.

Incidentally, no need for bold text in most of your post. It is almost as bad as making it all caps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree the brake issue - especially if its more than a warning light - is very concerning, because its a functional issue. I would be less worried about the emissions warning.

Keep us in the loop as to what the root issue is once found please!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I am experiencing the same issue as SUMMEREST:
I went out to the car for lunch and I found two major system problems.
#1 . Emissions System Problem with a cute cutout of an engine in yellow.
#2 . Electric Parking Brake Problem with a cute P with an ! mark in yellow.
Also on the MID, I got a display and verbal message, Parking Brake System:U0401-68. The Electric Parking Brake may not operate properly. Select VOICE for details.
[Edited for clarity]

That thread has been closed. However there was no clear resolution to the electric brake issue.
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry to see your first post is about a problem but glad you posted.

I believe I put the fix in there, but I can quickly recap...

Just by changing the fuel filler assembly fixed both of my problems. I didn't find any hazardous issues, it was just warnings. I did notice that my brake was set but I released it even though the display suggested otherwise.

Threads do get closed when the problem had been resolved. I would rather members post as OP of their own thread when there is a problem. By making you the original poster, we can focus on your issue. Mine was solved long ago. It took Acura two visits, but I haven't seen the problem since. Closed threads are good for research and trends. Feel free to use the search button as well. Please let us know how it goes.

Tell us more about you and your TLX selection. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my post I noted that your post had been closed but that there wasn't a confirmed resolution to the electric brake issue.
As yet, the Acura dealer has not taken any action on either issue other than reloading the software which has not resolved either issue on my vehicle.
Thank you for replying to my post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In reply to TLX2014 post:
Of course I trust the dealer to locate and fix the problem. However this is their 3rd attempt and my car has been in their shop a total of 9 days.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
In my post I noted that your post had been closed but that there wasn't a confirmed resolution to the electric brake issue.
As yet, the Acura dealer has not taken any action on either issue other than reloading the software which has not resolved either issue on my vehicle.
Thank you for replying to my post.
I haven't had an Electrical brake issue since the fuel filler assembly was replaced. I can confirm that.

What I was told is that the Fuel Filler Assembly error caused a voltage drop that made it look like the Brake system had issues. Replacing one part fixed both of my issues. That was almost 9,000+ miles ago. So I would say it totally resolved my situation. This is not a guarantee that it will be your solution.

:)

Thanks for any updates to your situation and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good to hear that's what cleared up the issue on your end.
Hopefully as more people go through a similar process we will find out that this might be the 'textbook' strategy to go about resolving the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: I talked with the Acura service manager today. He said that Acura engineering recommended replacing the catalytic converter. The part will come in tomorrow and then they will do an extensive road test.
I'm not understanding the relationship of the cat converter to the brake but we will see.
I told the service manager about Summest's experience with the fuel filler assembly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I too am curious (sceptical?) of the cat con to brake relationship, but lets see what happens. Anyone aware of an electrical connection or sensor on the cat con? Emissions sensor maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am very confused how this fixes the brake issue though...black magic..

Glad it worked though!
Remember Windows Blue Screen of Death? Someone once said we should thank heaven that we don't have Windows running our automobiles!

I fear that this on rush of automobile technology is the source of some of these issues.

The electric brake issue coincided with an Emissions alert. Is it a coincidence that the resolution of SUMMEREST's TLX and mine were corrected by replacing an emissions related component?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Perhaps...and i agree with not running anything mission critical on Windows...just saying...

However i do prefer a logical explanation vs. coincidence or faith! These are electro-mechanical devices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.