Acura TLX Forum banner

V6 engine chirping sound at idle

15K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 ·
I have a V6 awd advance. The engine makes a high pitched squeaking/clicking/chirping sound when at idle (approx. 700-800 rpms). Once you rev up to 1,000+ rpms, the sound goes away and the engine sounds fine. The performance seems ok, but it's somewhat annoying in that it just doesn't sound right, like the timing is off, or a belt is loose.

I spoke to the service manager at the dealer and he said other V6s have this sound and that he checked with Acura tech support and all seems normal. Is anyone experiencing this odd sound? For $45K, that V6 should purr like a kitten, not sound like the mouse it's eating.

#6 ·
Thanks phanliu for validating my issue. At least someone else out there has experienced this so I know it's not in my head. Yes, they said it had to do with the direct fuel injectors. Nonetheless, it still is annoying - almost as bad as the auto engine idle stop feature. Argh!

#8 ·
Twice now I have heard what you are talking about. DI makes sense and I hope that's all it is. First time I heard it I thought there a forklift in the distance backing up or something but the second time there was nothing around. So yes your observation is valid.

#12 ·
Interesting. I havent noticed the chirping BUT the engine seems noisy at idle - almost a knocking spund. Thoughts?

Ive been tempted to record the sound and post it. Not sure if that would help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.