Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AI have 2016 TLX and have snow tires wheels from my earlier 2013 Acura TSX. The TLX tire size is 225/55R17 and the TSX snow tire size is 225/50R17. the sizes are pretty close so I would like to use the TSX tires on my TLX. Based on these sizes, the snow tires will be slightly smaller than the normal TLX tires. Will this matter. The snow tires would be on the front wheels. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend 4 new winter tires at the OEM size.
I would not run 2 winter tires and 2 all seasons. If installing 2 winter tires, the winter tires are mounted on the rear axle not the front but again mixing tire types is not recommended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NDNV: Thanks for your thoughts. I have normally been advised to put snow tires on the drive wheels, which on my TLX are the front wheels.. Why do you suggest the rear wheels? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi NDNV: Thanks for your thoughts. I have normally been advised to put snow tires on the drive wheels, which on my TLX are the front wheels.. Why do you suggest the rear wheels? Thanks.
Although not ideal to just do 2 tires on the driveline there's no harm with your scenario. The only thing is your speedometer will show you driving a little faster than you are. Having 2 snow tires on the drive wheels is better than none (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just the advice I have read over the years online about installing 2 winter tires of a FWD vehicle. Best to Google "2 winter tires FWD vehicle" and you will see the advice. Basically the rear will be unstable and fishtail dangerously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Yamariv. In my area having snow tires at all is considered a little excessive since we don't get a lot of snow. That's why I generally just get two rather than four, though I realize it is not ideal. Since I can also get speed form my GOPS I'll have a way to check the speed disparity with the slightly smaller tires. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts