Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I'm own tlx 2017 base model. it does not have a navigation system and apple car play. So, I'm going to replace it with 2018 display screen which has GPS navigation and apple car play features. I'm not sure if it works. Has anyone done it before? I just need apple car play or android auto and don't care navigation system if it works or not. I think this is a better choice and cheaper than navtool.

DSC02173.jpg

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure that's possible especially with the way the upper and lower displays are integrated. I'd consult the dealer. If it is possible and you do it, post your story on the forum, I'm sure others would be interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've considered doing the same but have not gotten a definite answer about what's needed. I did read that the upper screen would need to be changed as well. Dealership will shut the idea down so it will have to be a DIY. A guy in a FB group said he did it but didn't give much info.

Post results if it happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In order to make this all work, you need the main unit, the top screen, control panel to activate carplay, the carplay module and the usb ports. Once you have all the parts, it's all plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
If you proceed, let us know the outcome. Document as much as you can and share it with the forum.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out GROM Interfaces in the USA$600, and NAV Tool$ 330 both are custom made upgrades to 2017 TLX to allow Android AUTO and so much more

·
Registered
65 Posts
@S Pereira Good to know about GROM Interfaces! These look perfect, and $599 isn't unreasonable.

It is unfortunate, however, that they are offered only for 2016 and newer, so us 2015 owners appear to be out of luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Gonzo Yep, you were right! I reached-out to GROM and indeed the HON3VL2 unit works in all TLXs, despite the 2015 being absent from the list (for whatever reason):

This thing looks really cool. The fact that it receives firmware updates regularly and offers so many features beyond the stock system (at least in the 2015, can't speak for newer model-years) has me wanting one rather badly!

The fact that it has the ability to tether to a phone's 4G connection via WiFi with an additional module (G-Connect Car Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE WiFi Modem, $89.99 USD) is awesome. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, but it would be nice never to have to plug the USB cable in.

Thanks again for bringing this unit to our attention @S Pereira ; this solves a lot of problems with the stock system, especially on older models!

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
I also learned of an adapter that will enable wireless CarPlay.
Now I have to justify $600 + another $80 to $160 to get CarPlay and wireless!!

·
Registered
2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD w/ Tech-Package
2 Posts
Has anyone actually bought the GROM unit? I've heard plenty of things about NavTools (including how frustrating the company itself is) but haven't heard anything about GROM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts