Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

This is a new post to carry forward on my plan to update my TLX OEM tires I mentioned in my new forum member introduction.

I will pickup the TLX SH Tech on the 19th and of course it has 18" Goodyear LS2 225/50R18 tires. I was not impressed with several reviews for this tire and decided to upgrade to the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 in the same size (P225/50R18).

I borrowed a handheld sound meter from work and I plan to take cabin readings for decibels level with both the OEM tires and the new Michelins just to see if any significant difference in noise either by decibel level or my own ears.

The appointment to change the tires is later on the 19th (same as car pickup date) so I won't have the OEM tires on the car for very long for comparison purposes and have already sold the Goodyears to a co-worker.

So - I will update this post with the noise level info, and how I feel about the new tires periodically. Since I also have a 4G TL SH, I will also post some noise levels from it under same conditions with it's OEM Michelin MXM tires to see difference compared to TLX.

In the Spring, I plan to put 19" Honda Performance (HPT) or Acura Diamond cut wheels on the TLX with probably Michelin Pilot summer tires.

Thanks - will update as I can

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone

This is a new post to carry forward on my plan to update my TLX OEM tires I mentioned in my new forum member introduction.

I will pickup the TLX SH Tech on the 19th and of course it has 18" Goodyear LS2 225/50R18 tires. I was not impressed with several reviews for this tire and decided to upgrade to the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 in the same size (P225/50R18).

I borrowed a handheld sound meter from work and I plan to take cabin readings for decibels level with both the OEM tires and the new Michelins just to see if any significant difference in noise either by decibel level or my own ears.

The appointment to change the tires is later on the 19th (same as car pickup date) so I won't have the OEM tires on the car for very long for comparison purposes and have already sold the Goodyears to a co-worker.

So - I will update this post with the noise level info, and how I feel about the new tires periodically. Since I also have a 4G TL SH, I will also post some noise levels from it under same conditions with it's OEM Michelin MXM tires to see difference compared to TLX.

In the Spring, I plan to put 19" Honda Performance (HPT) or Acura Diamond cut wheels on the TLX with probably Michelin Pilot summer tires.

Thanks - will update as I can
I am facing the same quandary on my TLX SHAWD advance that should have been built today. The OEM tires have lousy ratings especially in snow (I live in MI!). Of 35 tires in the category, they rank 31. I talked to my salesperson and he offered to exchange them for the Bridgestones they on the FWD models but that tire is not rated anywhere that I can find and is described as a performance tire. Grand touring better fits my requirements. I talked to Goodyear and their response was that they would never be able to unload the OEM tires, so not much help there. Any suggestions anyone? Do I just try the OEMs and if they are junk, bite the bullet and buy Goodyear Comfotreds? Is my concern legitimate?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today, I picked up my new TLX SH with the Goodyears and put about 100 miles on the car including a few of my favorite curves. I wasn't impressed at all with the feel of the stock tires as many of the reviews have stated. They do provide a comfortable ride, seems quiet but the car definitely felt much softer in road feeling and response than my older TL SH e.g. sporty would not be a word I would use to describe the original configuration.

I had already ordered new Michelin Pilot A/S 3's before picking the car up and had them installed this afternoon after spending the morning on the OEM tires. The difference changing this car to the Pilots is amazing and I quickly became very happy. The car feels tighter, more responsive, and exceeds the cornering capability of the 4th gen TL after the tire change. I can only imagine what this car would be like with the 19" wheels and wider patch area.

My choice for the A/S 3's is OK for me because I don't get snow very often and have other options to drive to work if necessary.

I sold the Goodyears to a co-worker and I do think you could either sell them or trade them at a tire retailer. Those OEM tires go for as low as $86 each and good replacements will cost more than the OEM's are worth in my opinion. I have heard of persons in same situation getting allowances for the OEM tires against the purchase of better tires.

Good luck

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great tire synopsis. My Acura dealer seemed to want nothing to do eith used LS2, so its after market for me in the spring time. Pilot AS/3 is what they recommend.

Hard to believe that the selected tires on a $55k car are worth so little with 100 miles on them. Or new i suppose.

Blizzak WS for the winter - safety first!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upgraded to the 19 " diamond cut wheels with 245x40 Michalin. primacy My dealer bought the stock tires .
Congrats - I love those wheels and the similar Honda HPT wheels. I'm going to the 19's in the spring. Post pictures when you can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for the i4 FWD?
For an all-season performance tire if you don't have significant snow/ice to deal with - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/55R17 if you have the standard 17" wheels. Same tire in 225/50R18 if you have the 18" wheels.

If you live in an area with snow/ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks and Dunlop Winter Sports look like the best options but I would see what other members tell you. I have had good luck on my TL with Michelin MXM4's in light snow but my area doesn't get a lot of the white stuff.

Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Running Michelin X-Ice for the first time and so far so good. I used GoodYear UltraGrip Ice as winter tire for the past 15 years and I must say that although I do not like their all-season tires, the UltraGrip were great winter tires (I enjoyed them more than Blizzak...longer lasting without sacrificing traction).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.