Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda unveiled a midlife update for its midsize Accord, a lightly freshened model that will play nice with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Can our TLX's be updated to this new capability?

I would suspect that the update provided with the 2016 Accord does not involve any drastic hardware modification. The Software should be able to be ported over to our current systems so that we could enjoy this new capability.

With the bashing of the dual screens for Acura/Honda, I think the pundits will be eating their words when they see the benefit of both screens with this new interface.

Reactions: Wes Beard

·
Registered
423 Posts
I heard from a reliable source that Acura won't be getting it for 16's at all. Maybe 17's. Don't think its a priorty.
My money says won't be upgradable and will only be on new models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it a bad idea to install Pioneer apple car play and replace the current TLX system?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Apart having Google Maps on screen with CarPlay, what is the benefit of this stuff ?
Audio control from steering wheel works with bluetooth - Siri is available from the car - Messages are displayed/told by the phone with possibility to answer them (with Google Voice).
... And to have map on-screen you just have to put the phone in front of the display ;)

I don't see a lot of innovation coming from CarPlay and Android Auto.

Another point of view, being able to control with gestures and HUD adds a really interesting point in Navdy

But I confess I found infotainment a little old/passed... but still functional. And after all it is all I ask to it, being functional (even if I love bells and whistles ;) )

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you @Replayman. I guess it is the geek in me that wants the latest. For my last road trip, I had all that I needed with the built-in infotainment.
The only issue I have right now is the lack of replying to a Text with canned responses (IOS).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Getting free map updates is an advantage over the current Navi constraints...including POI, etc....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today technology is all about 2 things, it's ability to connect to the world around us and the ability to be updated as needs change. Out phones, TV's, computers, and even many children's toys have software that can be updated. Tesla obviously already has jumped into this arena so why not Acura? Acura would be smart to readdress their viewpoint and actually respond to posts like this. Speaking as someone who has been a technology executive for 15 years, I'm fairly disappointed that talk about updating the systems on cars like the BRAND NEW TLX to incorporate Android auto and Car Play isn't even happening while the Honda accord comes with the functionality.

I'd love this update. Why? I find the built in nav almost impossible to use from voice prompts and even though system supposedly comes with traffic updates, I've not experienced any benefit compared to using Google Maps or WAZE. Not to mention how sluggish the controls on the entire entertainment system are. Manufacturers talk about eh driving experience. Well the more I'm able to focus on the driving and not how acura built an infotainment system that falls far short of the industry standard, the better

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Today technology is all about 2 things, it's ability to connect to the world around us and the ability to be updated as needs change. Out phones, TV's, computers, and even many children's toys have software that can be updated. Tesla obviously already has jumped into this arena so why not Acura? Acura would be smart to readdress their viewpoint and actually respond to posts like this. Speaking as someone who has been a technology executive for 15 years, I'm fairly disappointed that talk about updating the systems on cars like the BRAND NEW TLX to incorporate Android auto and Car Play isn't even happening while the Honda accord comes with the functionality.

I'd love this update. Why? I find the built in nav almost impossible to use from voice prompts and even though system supposedly comes with traffic updates, I've not experienced any benefit compared to using Google Maps or WAZE. Not to mention how sluggish the controls on the entire entertainment system are. Manufacturers talk about eh driving experience. Well the more I'm able to focus on the driving and not how acura built an infotainment system that falls far short of the industry standard, the better
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that Acura is the only company that doesn't retroactively update their infotainment systems as new features/capabilities are released. I believe that most mainstream companies follow the same model. Yes, Tesla does advertise that they do, but I'm not aware of the other major manufacturers doing this.

You mention the Accord. The previous year Accords will not be retroactively updated.

Honda is incorporating Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with their model refreshes and I would think that Acura will do the same. As with Honda though, I doubt very much that there will be updates for vehicles from previous years.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A lot of this advanced technology also has to find a way to side step the various legal regulations with regards to the various distractive driving laws, and what you can actually do in the car while driving (media, browse the net, etc). Id be happy if Acura used something other then Bing maps lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I worked for a company that provided in dash entertainment as a fledgling company to car manufacturers. One thing that you need to remember... The car manufacturers work about 3 YEARS in the future. They are readying the 2019s NOW. Unlike other industries, they do not drop on a dime and just put the latest thing in there....

If anyone knows anyone from the car business they will know this... This is why things like CarPlay aren't available yet.

I always wanted carplay also!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I worked for a company that provided in dash entertainment as a fledgling company to car manufacturers. One thing that you need to remember... The car manufacturers work about 3 YEARS in the future. They are readying the 2019s NOW. Unlike other industries, they do not drop on a dime and just put the latest thing in there....

If anyone knows anyone from the car business they will know this... This is why things like CarPlay aren't available yet.

I always wanted carplay also!

It's coming. The new Civic and Accord have it. I would guess the mid cycle refresh for the TLX would have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The TLX Nav system is absolute garbage. I haven't used it since the first week. I always use my phone. I'd kill for CarPlay for that feature alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely feels like the accord and civic have more standard features than the tlx.
I'm not sure it's even about "standard feature" as much as the things avail at different trims...Other than the Acura badge, an accord has almost everything available that the TLX minus the cooled seats and the SH-AWD...Even the top engine is only 12 less hp...

Yet you can get the driver assistance package including ACC for under $24K.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Im sure the MMC of the TLX will add all those features. Its over a year old now, while the Hondas are brand new. Id expect them to have the latest tech.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts