Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI: When answers are not given by Acura, go to the source! >:D

Wes Beard reviewed ZF Aftermarket US & Canada2 star

July 18 at 9:08am · https://www.facebook.com/wes.beard....4008231024&notif_t=open_graph_action_comment#

I drive a 2015 Acura TLX, and the way the transmission performs is terrible: not suitable for a luxury car. I have read so many articles about this transmission, and the other issues with other manufacturers. ZF states it is merely a software issue, but Acura has yet to release a permanent fix.
I want to love the transmission performance as much as I love the rest of the car. Do you know if and when a solution will be brought forward for the TLX 9 speed transmission? Acura states they are working with the OEM on a solution (presumably ZF).
Thanks for any insight or help. I have had this car since December, and everyday I drive it, I am so focused on preparing for the jerky shifts that I can't enjoy the rest of the car.

ZF Aftermarket US & Canada
Commercial & Industrial

https://www.facebook.com/ZFAftermarketUSCANhttps://www.facebook.com/ZFAftermarketUSCAN

SaveSaved

9,829 Likes
39 talking about this

Like Comment Share

• Remove
    ZF Aftermarket US & Canada Hello Mr. Beard,

Currently software updates are available based on vehicles’ VINs and production dates. Your local dealership should have all the latest updates. Acura and ZF are working diligently to write the necessary software to correct shift quality issues. Unfortunately we do not have a definitive date of when the update will be available for your vehicle, but your dealership will have access to it as soon as it’s ready. Please continue to check back with them for the latest updates.
    Like · Reply · 30 mins
    https://www.facebook.com/wes.beard....4008231024&notif_t=open_graph_action_comment#

• Remove
      Wes Beard Thank you so much for the response. I am very pleased to hear that the two companies are working together to fix this, and that the current state of the transmission is not the final state.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am kind of surprised, also.

I was driving a coworker and myself to lunch today, and the shift to third was anticipated by me, but not my passenger. She lunged forward and I had to apologize for the "bronco" experience she received.

I will be very happy once this is smoothed out. As stated, I love every single other attribute of the TLX.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
My 9HP runs fine. My manufacture date is March 2015. Not sure if I have a good load of software. But with these complex systems, a thorough test of the software will need to be done before it is deployed. This would include extreme temperatures which can be difficult this time of the year. Last thing they want is to have it all blow up in their face when the temps get closer to Zero (both F & C)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 9HP runs fine. My manufacture date is March 2015. Not sure if I have a good load of software. But with these complex systems, a thorough test of the software will need to be done before it is deployed. This would include extreme temperatures which can be difficult this time of the year. Last thing they want is to have it all blow up in their face when the temps get closer to Zero (both F & C)

Agreed. My thought is this should have been thoroughly tested in the first place. I am envious for those that have a smooth transmission.

I volunteer my TLX for any testing that needs to be done in the Texas heat!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great post Wes, thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wes,
I'm not convinced Acura has a fix for the 9SP - my TLX was in for service two weeks ago and the dealer was unaware of any tranny updates. When i pushed the issue, they 'double checked' for any bulletins and said there was a TCM update 06/15, and they applied. Since that time the 2-3 shift is worse than before - hopefully this isn't the software update they referred to you above.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
At least you owners in the U.S. have various updates available. U.S. Canucks barely get updates for any parts of the car, besides the tranny lol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wes,
I'm not convinced Acura has a fix for the 9SP - my TLX was in for service two weeks ago and the dealer was unaware of any tranny updates. When i pushed the issue, they 'double checked' for any bulletins and said there was a TCM update 06/15, and they applied. Since that time the 2-3 shift is worse than before - hopefully this isn't the software update they referred to you above.
The information provided to me was not about a previous software fix. This was about something Acura and ZF have been working on: presumably a permanent fix.

What is the TSB or TCM update number they applied to your TLX?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The information provided to me was not about a previous software fix. This was about something Acura and ZF have been working on: presumably a permanent fix.

What is the TSB or TCM update number they applied to your TLX?
They simply referred to it as TCM update 06/15.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a post from another TLX site...here is the contact info that was recommended to complain to Acura:

[email protected]

800-382-2238 option 7

This is Acura customer relations.

Filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement today...
Fellow TLX'ers--

I filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement today, as required under the terms of Acura's warranty booklet. Unfortunately, I had the latest software update performed late last week and when I picked it up from the dealer on Monday, nothing had changed. The car still does not shift smoothly in lower gears and often hesitates before shifting gears.

Moreover, I had the assurances from an Acura District Parts and Service Manager that he was going to "personally oversee" this issue. All he really did was drive the car when I brought it in last week for the service visit (he actually had me wait a month to come in and get this software update because of his claimed desire to "personally oversee" the update). He said that my TLX essentially drives "like other TLXs" and that there is nothing more that he can do for me. When I told him that I would like Acura to find an alternative, he told me that I would have to pursue a claim with the NCDS or a Lemon Law lawsuit. Incredibly, he told me that he couldn't do anything more BECAUSE OF these laws. Wow.

Now here's something more that should worry everyone here: This DPSM told me that he had talked to representatives at ZF and they advised him that they could change the fluid pressures in the transmission to help achieve smoother gear shifts, but that that will affect the long-term durability of the transmission. Yikes! Hopefully Acura finds another solution--and soon.

I really hope that others will continue to complain to Acura about this issue so that they really try to address this issue. I've been driving cars for over 20 years now and never had a car shift like this. Ironically, when I drove the loaner RDX while my TLX was at the dealership--no shifting problems! And again, I drove a TL for five years before this car--no such problems there either.

Finally, if people weren't aware, Acura was sued over a comparable issue involving the 4-cylinder TLX back in January. Here's the link if you would like to see for yourself: Honda Faces Class Action Over Acura TLX Transmission Defect.

·
Registered
681 Posts
@rs46246: thank you for the details. While my ZF shows some of the symptoms (2-3 upshift, occasiona surge/lag) , it is certainly manageable...but it is the least favourable part of my car. I will be in for service in the next moth or so, we will see what the Service team can do. My sales rep now agrees with my assessment as she had one for a number of months.

Whats bizarre: last Wednesday the car drove like a dream...a very noticeable improvement, but nothing done on my end. It seems to have reverted back to normal behaviour though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
As per usual, nothing for us Canucks. We have a total of 3 TSB's lol, noting remotely transmission related either.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Interesting my VIN doesn't apply... only certain VINs require this I wonder if what changes they made out side of the VINs listed in the SB.

19UUB3F7XXXXXXX32

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting my VIN doesn't apply... only certain VINs require this I wonder if what changes they made out side of the VINs listed in the SB.

19UUB3F7XXXXXXX32
Does it apply to you if you flip the VINs between AWD and 2WD?

·
Registered
238 Posts
TSB Released specifically for 2-3 hard shift. Could this be the Holy Grail?... fingers are crossed!

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF
Thanks for the TSB update -- glad to see Acura actively working on this.

When I took my car (AWD Advance) in for its A1 early July, they did a transmission re-learn process and in the 6 weeks I've been driving it since, the biggest difference I noticed was the hard kick after a stop sign/stoplight is nearly gone which is a huge benefit. The other gear shifts are smoother than before, but every once in while I still get that kick in 2-3 downshifts, but not much during upshifts. Overall, it's driving better now, but not refined.

I think when I first received my TLX last Dec, it may have had a non-optimal transmission learning process -- many of the initial miles I drove were on the highway and I was still gaining a feel for the car so I drove it gingerly and the transmission had rough shifts for the next 7000 miles. In July, well past the break-in period and accustomed to the car, I did mostly local driving during the 250 mile re-learn period and have seen improved transmission shifts in the 1500 miles since. So maybe it's the inconsistent learning process itself causing the inconsistent driving/shifting experience among TLX drivers?

One last thing I've noticed -- if I drive the car very gently the first half mile or mile, the rest of the driving is pretty smooth until I turn off the car. Conversely, if I'm a bit more aggressive the first mile, the transmission has a lot of rough shifts for the rest of the drive. With the warm summer heat (and use of remote start to A/C the interior), I'm still trying to figure out if letting the engine warm up helps or not, but if it does, it's not obvious.

I'm still optimistic that Acura will figure out a permanent solution to this, and maybe this TSB is it. Perhaps this TSB came out of the 2016 TLX testing?

1 - 20 of 242 Posts