Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone taken delivery of a 2021 type s yet. I’m still like 6-7 weeks away from getting mine delivered

·
Registered
135 Posts
Things I’m starting to read, it’s a little slower than I expected, a Genisis 80 spanks it as does the A4 RS! Think I maybe changing my mind to the Audi RS.
Wish you luck with yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
has anyone taken delivery of a 2021 type s yet. I’m still like 6-7 weeks away from getting mine delivered
What have you been told that makes you think you are 6-7 weeks away? Have you been given a build date yet by your dealer checking with the factory file on the order? I'm in the same boat, awaiting my pre-order. I highly doubt any Type S's have been delivered to buyers yet as Acura is still in the process of getting the demo units out to all the dealerships and won't deliver pre-orders until that process is complete. According to Acura's website, some dealerships now have a second unit in transit which wold be the very first of the pre-orders.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
32 Posts
Things I’m starting to read, it’s a little slower than I expected, a Genisis 80 spanks it as does the A4 RS! Think I maybe changing my mind to the Audi RS.
Wish you luck with yours.
The Genesis (correct spelling) 2.5T AWD with the options that make it similar to the Acura is $60,695. So yes the Genesis is more expensive a bit more horsepower and it's still a Hyundai. The RS is at least $23,000 more before options according to the Audi website and options can run an additional $20,000. So, are you really worried about the speed of the Type S compared to a $76,000 to $96,000 Audi RS? Strange.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
32 Posts
What have you been told that makes you think you are 6-7 weeks away? Have you been given a build date yet by your dealer checking with the factory file on the order? I'm in the same boat, awaiting my pre-order. I highly doubt any Type S's have been delivered to buyers yet as Acura is still in the process of getting the demo units out to all the dealerships and won't deliver pre-orders until that process is complete. According to Acura's website, some dealerships now have a second unit in transit which wold be the very first of the pre-orders.
Why are you doubting what Typ3s21 wrote in his post? He certainly could be 6-7 weeks away from delivery. In that amount of time I should have three units delivered to customers, baring any further production delays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why are you doubting what Typ3s21 wrote in his post? He certainly could be 6-7 weeks away from delivery. In that amount of time I should have three units delivered to customers, baring any further production delays.
I am not doubting him/her at all. Nothing in my post said I doubt him. I asked what they may have heard that is leading them to feel that way. As I mentioned, I’m in the same boat. I got on the ore-order list back in March and at the time I was told I was the third buyer to do so at that dealer. Yet, I have no VIN number available yet and no build date yet. Some Acura dealers are now getting there post-demo units in so I’m hopeful mine arrives soon but I’ve also been told it will be a month or so AFTER I’m given a build date which hasn’t been given yet so I could easily be waiting into September at this point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not doubting him/her at all. Nothing in my post said I doubt him. I asked what they may have heard that is leading them to feel that way. As I mentioned, I’m in the same boat. I got on the ore-order list back in March and at the time I was told I was the third buyer to do so at that dealer. Yet, I have no VIN number available yet and no build date yet. Some Acura dealers are now getting there post-demo units in so I’m hopeful mine arrives soon but I’ve also been told it will be a month or so AFTER I’m given a build date which hasn’t been given yet so I could easily be waiting into September at this point.
The ordering process is confusing with Acura. I completely understand the situation you are in. I don't know if you are interested in a little insight but here goes. Acura will assign colors to a dealership randomly. If you submit a request (order) with the dealership for a specific color, it does not guarantee a specific build date or place in line. For example I have a client that ordered a grey Type S, he was first in line. Acura is sending me two randomly assigned colors in the Type S before his special order grey is built.
I have had different clients order the all new 2022 MDX Advance models on the same day. A white MDX Advance took three weeks and a blue Advance took over three months. I am guessing Acura groups the builds in colors based on anticipated demand.
Acura will assign a build date to your vehicle once that vehicle and color is on schedule. The dealership does not receive a VIN until the vehicle has been built so don't be looking for that anytime soon. If you have a good sales consultant they will contact you with an approximate build date (once it is on schedule) and again once a VIN is issued. After that it is on the train from Ohio to your dealership which is typically 14 days or less. Hope this helps and if there are any Acura employees than can add to this please do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ordering process is confusing with Acura. I completely understand the situation you are in. I don't know if you are interested in a little insight but here goes. Acura will assign colors to a dealership randomly. If you submit a request (order) with the dealership for a specific color, it does not guarantee a specific build date or place in line. For example I have a client that ordered a grey Type S, he was first in line. Acura is sending me two randomly assigned colors in the Type S before his special order grey is built.
I have had different clients order the all new 2022 MDX Advance models on the same day. A white MDX Advance took three weeks and a blue Advance took over three months. I am guessing Acura groups the builds in colors based on anticipated demand.
Acura will assign a build date to your vehicle once that vehicle and color is on schedule. The dealership does not receive a VIN until the vehicle has been built so don't be looking for that anytime soon. If you have a good sales consultant they will contact you with an approximate build date (once it is on schedule) and again once a VIN is issued. After that it is on the train from Ohio to your dealership which is typically 14 days or less. Hope this helps and if there are any Acura employees than can add to this please do.
I do appreciate the info and would like to know anything more that can be known in the future. Thank you. I ordered Tiger Eye Pearl and the demo model my dealership got was Tiger Eye Pearl. The second unit they got was Alex Blue. I’m stuck because the only other car I would buy instead of the Type S is a C8 corvette which I could afford at sticker, but not with the 30k markup dealers are adding. I test drive other cars but the Type S is the best for me all around so I will wait it out. Again, thanks for the additional context.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could've walked away from the dealership yesterday with a TLX Type S. I had put a deposit to be the first one to test drive that car when it was delivered...

The chassis is rigid and the SH-AWD helps it take turns well. It also looks and sounds cool, and the brakes are good (not a fan of the feel but they are powerful)
But I didn't like how the powertrain felt AT ALL, it felt like a downgrade from my 2018 3.5 V6 in terms of refinement and responsiveness.

From a standstill it either has some kind of torque limiter, or it has no power at all. Either way, if I push a bit hard on the pedal in mine, it's gonna push HARD. The Type S, NOTHING HAPPENS.
I was test driving it, I went the wrong way and tried to power through from one late to another. Something that even my wife's prius does INSTANTLY. You push on the pedal, it will do that little 10 to 30 acceleration to get there fast. The Type S did NOTHING for a full two seconds, barely accelerating, and THEN suddenly power came in. Super lame. Also it being so heavy means that is power to weight ratio isn't that great either.

I know, I know it's not all about pure power. But I'm talking about how the power is delivered. Not the absolute numbers. And this rubber band turbo just doesn't do it for me.
There's something special about a Honda naturally aspirated vtec engine that is lost... (particularly their wonderful v6)

I'm gonna go try the M340i ... with the markup that dealers put on the Type S, it's not even more expensive ...

Picture: My current TLX, and the Type S next to it, after the test drive. Looks cool. But driving it just doesn't feel right. I don't know what they were thinking at Acura. They had that sport-hybrid system, why not work with that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience with my dealer was very good, I placed the order the day it was available I think May, by the end of June I was told production date was set for July 18th, sure enough one week later I took possession of my car with 3 miles on the odometer, I ended up paying sticker plus some $800 in title and registration and of course the sales tax difference after my trade in. So far the car is what I expected, I did consider the BMW M340i but the suspension is harsher, similarly configured was like 10k more + tax and previous experience with BMW was less than good, not to mention traditionally they depreciate like crazy.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
65 Posts
I think peoples expectations are way toooo high!! Once Acura released the engine numbers. No way was it going to be a dragster. I mean its only $53K and its super heavy. If you guys just want a dragster, get a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Its about $3K more, but it will destroy most cars in a straight line. I hate the interior tho, thats why I didnt get one. Well the lease deals are terrible on Teslas. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts