Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Genesis being a Korean platform gets extremely high marks for quality. As far as German, I have a Porsche turbo and it has been one of the most reliable cars I ever had. Still like my 20TLX v6 with tech, nice dd!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the input. I know there are others that beat the Acura in speed, like the Genesis & Audi. For me, the Acura is fast enough to have fun and it beats the Korean cars in quality and the German cars in reliability. Cheers
Your comment is the viewpoint that any Type S owners need to have. It's plenty fast enough for the market it's in, even though it will lose in a drag race to most competition. The reality is that there is no seat of the pants difference between a couple tenths of a second when you are in the mid 4 range and even if it's going to be two car lengths behind the competition....you don't know it unless you are side by side against one of those other cars. The handling, interior, and exterior styling are what Acura is trying to sell. I'll say that the new TLX is the first affordable car that I've seen in a long time that had me legitimately excited to own it based on looks. I bought the Acura and got rid of my BMW because I was looking forward to owning a car for five years without worrying about all the parts that might fail and gaskets that might leak.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology Package
17 Posts
The handling, interior, and exterior styling are what Acura is trying to sell.
While I agree with the rest of your post, this statement is dubious. Acura has marketed this car as a competitive performance car and compared it to cars that are much faster. This is what has many folks disappointed. From what I've read (and I've read a lot) the Type-S is a very nice car and it's fast, but it's not a competitor in terms of power, and it's not what they advertised. I really like my 2021 non-Type-S TLX, but do wish it had more power. I have to remember to flick the dial from normal to sport whenever I really want to move. I'm sure the Type-S will deliver all the qualities I'm currently enjoying plus the extra power I'm missing (previous car was a 2001 CL-S). I'm not looking to win drag races. I just want that extra "kick" when needed.

No offense to those who are paying top-dollar to get the Type-S right now, though I do think paying more than MSRP is foolish. I'll wait 10-12 months. By then there should be some inventory, the hype, and the prices will have subsided, and it may be possible to get one below MSRP at the right dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've driven it. Fun as hell. Plenty of power though not the fastest which has some internet motorheads who can't afford the car and drive 1998 Civics with 2 foot spoilers, all lathered up.
Most of the "motorheads" are lathered because they feel Acura's marketing hype mislead them to expect a true performance car that would compete in terms of speed, and it doesn't. Like you, I'm more concerned with the totality of the drive than having the fastest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of the "motorheads" are lathered because they feel Acura's marketing hype mislead them to expect a true performance car that would compete in terms of speed, and it doesn't. Like you, I'm more concerned with the totality of the drive than having the fastest.
This post at Acurazine describes well why the motorheads are pissed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While I agree with the rest of your post, this statement is dubious. Acura has marketed this car as a competitive performance car and compared it to cars that are much faster. This is what has many folks disappointed. From what I've read (and I've read a lot) the Type-S is a very nice car and it's fast, but it's not a competitor in terms of power, and it's not what they advertised. I really like my 2021 non-Type-S TLX, but do wish it had more power. I have to remember to flick the dial from normal to sport whenever I really want to move. I'm sure the Type-S will deliver all the qualities I'm currently enjoying plus the extra power I'm missing (previous car was a 2001 CL-S). I'm not looking to win drag races. I just want that extra "kick" when needed.

No offense to those who are paying top-dollar to get the Type-S right now, though I do think paying more than MSRP is foolish. I'll wait 10-12 months. By then there should be some inventory, the hype, and the prices will have subsided, and it may be possible to get one below MSRP at the right dealer.
I agree that Acura made a mistake in assuming that people wouldn't focus on 0-60 times when comparing these cars and that they assumed "competitive" could be slower and not be held accountable for it. They have definitely screwed up in their marketing of the car. Also agree that given the marketing and purpose of the Type S, it seems foolish to buy one in the same price range that you can get a much, much faster M340i....unless you don't want to worry about future repair problems outside of warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with what people are saying about the performance.I "settled" for a 21 A spec which i wish had a little more power as welll but still love the car.When Acura shows the type S sliding side ways everywhere kind of set the expectations for car similar l to how dodge markets all the performance cars they have but have power to back up if not the resale value.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
105 Posts
I agree that Acura made a mistake in assuming that people wouldn't focus on 0-60 times when comparing these cars and that they assumed "competitive" could be slower and not be held accountable for it. They have definitely screwed up in their marketing of the car. Also agree that given the marketing and purpose of the Type S, it seems foolish to buy one in the same price range that you can get a much, much faster M340i....unless you don't want to worry about future repair problems outside of warranty.
A comparatively equipped M340i costs about + $10K more than an S-type, is smaller, rides like a donkey cart and will smoke an S-type at the traffic light drags everytime. Since I don't go traffic light drag racing very often I can't justify the extra scratch.

I think the zero to sixty metric has little applicability in real life. Reviewers use it because they have to have something to measure, but when you come down to it the only crowd to really thinks it is important are 14 year-old boys who can't afford the car anyway.

I drive a 2021 2.0T TLX everyday. If you learned to drive on European sports cars from the 60's and '70's like I did, you learned early to use the transmission as designed and keep the motor spinning in the power band. That won't stop the TLX from being a bit doggy off the line, but once you get it rolling it'll pull as much speed as the stock tires (bleh) will handle, which tells me the car is not underpowered.

I haven't seriously driven the S-type, but I det get a dealer demo ride and noticed right away that it pulls strongly from a stop in a way the 2.0 doesn't. I can see why people who grew up on V-8 torque monsters would find that familiar and desirable, but I can't imagine the extra 200 pounds on the front wheels will help the car's handling when it is already a seriously front-heavy car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A comparatively equipped M340i costs about + $10K more than an S-type, is smaller, rides like a donkey cart and will smoke an S-type at the traffic light drags everytime. Since I don't go traffic light drag racing very often I can't justify the extra scratch.

I think the zero to sixty metric has little applicability in real life. Reviewers use it because they have to have something to measure, but when you come down to it the only crowd to really thinks it is important are 14 year-old boys who can't afford the car anyway.

I drive a 2021 2.0T TLX everyday. If you learned to drive on European sports cars from the 60's and '70's like I did, you learned early to use the transmission as designed and keep the motor spinning in the power band. That won't stop the TLX from being a bit doggy off the line, but once you get it rolling it'll pull as much speed as the stock tires (bleh) will handle, which tells me the car is not underpowered.

I haven't seriously driven the S-type, but I det get a dealer demo ride and noticed right away that it pulls strongly from a stop in a way the 2.0 doesn't. I can see why people who grew up on V-8 torque monsters would find that familiar and desirable, but I can't imagine the extra 200 pounds on the front wheels will help the car's handling when it is already a seriously front-heavy car.
+1

Also, I bought a 2021 A-Spec because —- of all of the cars that I test-drove and could have bought —- the TLX had what I hope will be a winning recipe: fun to drive, nice comfort, what I hope will be good reliability, great looks and sporty style, and I got a great deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts

My point on the TLX was that I was agreeing with the previous poster that Acura's marketing of the Type S as a car that was purpose built to compete against top end German performance sedans is off base. I'm not in the market for a smaller car like the M340i, S4 or G70 (not German but in the same class) but it's been convincingly proven that anyone spending the extra scratch for "performance" is going to find the Type S lacking in the comparison with those cars. Acura implied with their marketing that the Type S would be better than those cars in terms of performance and it's not.

I absolutely agree that getting in a twist over a couple tenths of a second from 0-60 is a waste of time. As I've said before, nobody can "feel" the difference between 4.4 seconds and 4.6 seconds. In any real world sense, anything under 6 seconds from 0-60 is plenty fast and you could make the argument that anything under 7 seconds fits that bill too. It doesn't mean that grown men don't get worked up when they see a G70 walking away from a Type S in a drag race. Let's not even talk about the butt kicking that the M340i would deliver.

I like my TLX, but it is a weird car that falls in between the compact and full size luxury car segments. It's external dimensions and weight are closer to the 5 series, G80 and A6/S6 but it's internal dimensions are closer to the 3 series, G70 and A4/S4. The base level TLX is a legitimate bargain and is a tremendous buy for people that don't "need" the features in the higher end models. I bought an A-Spec because I preferred the look and wanted a few of the perks that come with that package, but frankly, if it wasn't for the $7,200 discount that I got, I wouldn't have bought the car. It's a very good car but it falls short of expectations on the performance front......which is the area that Acura is spending it's money promoting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience/impressions with our 2021 TLX is similar to @flatlandTLX. I agree that the dimensions are a little "weird", but I really like the car. I just wish it had a little more juice. When we got our TLX in March, we had two aging cars that needed to be replaced A.S.A.P., including a 2001 CL-S. Originally, we planned to wait for the Type-S (which everyone expected would be available sooner), but my wife's Saab became undrivable, and the CL-S needed a good bit of work. So, I test drove a TLX and loved everything about it except the lack of power. I'm expecting that the Type-S will deliver that extra kick that I'm missing, but will wait 'till next year when hopefully inventory will be up and prices/hype will be down. We got our current TLX for at least 5K under MSRP, and I'm hoping to do the same with the Type-S, once things settle down,

·
Registered
134 Posts
My experience/impressions with our 2021 TLX is similar to @flatlandTLX. I agree that the dimensions are a little "weird", but I really like the car. I just wish it had a little more juice. When we got our TLX in March, we had two aging cars that needed to be replaced A.S.A.P., including a 2001 CL-S. Originally, we planned to wait for the Type-S (which everyone expected would be available sooner), but my wife's Saab became undrivable, and the CL-S needed a good bit of work. So, I test drove a TLX and loved everything about it except the lack of power. I'm expecting that the Type-S will deliver that extra kick that I'm missing, but will wait 'till next year when hopefully inventory will be up and prices/hype will be down. We got our current TLX for at least 5K under MSRP, and I'm hoping to do the same with the Type-S, once things settle down,
Hence the reason I went with a certified 2020 with less than 4k on the clock with the V6. Avoided the 1st year depreciation, and got a better warranty than a new model along with the more power and smoothness of the V6.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I order my Apex blue / Ebony from a different dealer not the one on the picture, if everything goes well I will get delivery by August.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So a little rational context here goes a long way. The engine size and specs have been known for a long time. So has the weight. This is also social media. Most people complain because:

1. they like the attention and think they come of as sounding experienced and informed
2. They are not content unless they have something to complain about.

Acura would be far from the first car company to over-hype the performance aspects of an upcoming model. I test drive the supposed leader in class in terms of performance, a BMW M340I and it’s definitely fast but the drive for me was not as fun as the Type S. I also nearly bought a Cadillac CT5V but couldn’t find the right build type so I got the Type S and love it.
What Acura is billing this car as is a well balanced car with equal parts of very good performance, luxury, and value and it hits all those marks. Many points are subjective but I myself am not lining up to drag race anyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered mine the day they started to take orders, got it last week I only have like 200 miles on it, so I am being easy on the car for the break in period. So far I like it a lot, I got it as a daily, and it fits the role perfectly, its sporty yet comfortable, brakes are good, and has plenty of power, but make no mistake this is not a race or track car. The steering is quick specially in sport+ , but feels totally disconnected from the road. Unfortunately here in south florida we mostly have straight lines and 90 degree turns so I wont be able to enjoy this car where it really shines that is twisty roads etc.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts