·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD with Technology Package
17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks robmarvel I've seen a few of these just hoping a forum member had a test drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really curious how the purchasing experience will be, haven't been to an acura dealership but strongly considering the type S - interested in hearing if anyone has been able to find one locally and if/how badly dealers are trying to over charge for the car, it sounds like the 2021 allocation is only 2000 cars (don't know when the 2022 cars will start arriving)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Really curious how the purchasing experience will be, haven't been to an acura dealership but strongly considering the type S - interested in hearing if anyone has been able to find one locally and if/how badly dealers are trying to over charge for the car, it sounds like the 2021 allocation is only 2000 cars (don't know when the 2022 cars will start arriving)
My local Acura dealer in Wichita has one in stock but I haven't tried to look at it (and am not in the market for one). I'm not due for service for another four months so I'm not confident that they are going to still be holding onto it for me to eyeball when I get there. Still, I doubt that they are motivated to sell it at this point. They don't post their actual prices and you have to ask a sales person to call you so I have no idea on what kind of surcharge that they might have. If you don't mind signing up for their "upfront price" online.....who knows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer here in Indianapolis slapped a 5k surcharge on the type S. They have one for test drive only I was considering it but will not pay the extra 5k that puts a lot of other cars in play at 60k. I may settle for A spec instead

·
Registered
87 Posts
My dealer here in Indianapolis slapped a 5k surcharge on the type S. They have one for test drive only I was considering it but will not pay the extra 5k that puts a lot of other cars in play at 60k. I may settle for A spec instead
I will say that the A-Spec is plenty fast for everyday driving. You won't win drag races but outside of an extremely unusual situation....it's all you "need". FWIW, I was at a conference this week and a guy stopped me to mention that he absolutely loved the looks of my A-Spec. Turned out he was an Audi owner and preferred German cars but was impressed with my car. That said, based on our conversation, he was a guy who would need to get the Type S for its performance. Each person has to decide how much power they "need".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will say that the A-Spec is plenty fast for everyday driving. You won't win drag races but outside of an extremely unusual situation....it's all you "need". FWIW, I was at a conference this week and a guy stopped me to mention that he absolutely loved the looks of my A-Spec. Turned out he was an Audi owner and preferred German cars but was impressed with my car. That said, based on our conversation, he was a guy who would need to get the Type S for its performance. Each person has to decide how much power they "need".
Totally agree. I sold my 2018 WRX to purchase a 2021 A-Spec. The WRX was a fun car to drive but the turbo lag was worse than the TLX and had a horrible problem with rev hang (6 speed manual). The TLX is far superior in every discernible way —- though some may prefer the rawness of the WRX. Not trying to equate my Subaru to the gentleman’s German car…just agreeing that the TLX has good, usable power and comes in a great overall package — sporty, comfortable, good options, great AWD, reasonable price for what you get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone driven a 2021 Type S? Mine should be here (Canada) in 3 to 4 weeks!
I drove one today and it was awesome. I had a 2018 ASpec and went to a 2018 BMW 540i X drive which is a fun car still. The Type S has a decent exhaust note in sport plus under WOT. The handling is night and day from the ASpec that I had and the transmission knows what gear to be in unlike my 2018. Truly awesome car. Wish Acura would have put in a panoramic roof and HUD but Incan get past that. Looking for a Blue with Red interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
McGrath Acura in Downers Grove IL has a white with red interior with no markup right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
McGrath Acura in Downers Grove IL has a white with red interior with no markup right now.
Picked up white A spec yesterday got really good deal dur to end of month .they had 1 type S for test only said they are not going to mark up type S .they are alotted 12 for year and pre sold 7 so far. They told me to come back in 18 months to trade since ill have few thousand in positive equity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s what the website says until you get there. There’s a $10k markup plus an $8k carbon fiber package added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
That’s what the website says until you get there. There’s a $10k markup plus an $8k carbon fiber package added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No offense to the Type S, but only an idiot would pay $71k for a TLX. I really like my A-Spec, but it's not on the same level as my old 5 series.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No offense to the Type S, but only an idiot would pay $71k for a TLX. I really like my A-Spec, but it's not on the same level as my old 5 series.
Just curious, was your 5 series a 530? I only briefly drove one. My kids have bmw’s but when they go for service they take my car and I take the loaner because they’re under 25. Just want to see your opinion on the tlx’s 2.0 vs the bmw’s. Thanks
(My recollection is that the tlx’s is smoother and maybe a touch quieter but the bmw’s was more powerful)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious, was your 5 series a 530? I only briefly drove one. My kids have bmw’s but when they go for service they take my car and I take the loaner because they’re under 25. Just want to see your opinion on the tlx’s 2.0 vs the bmw’s. Thanks
(My recollection is that the tlx’s is smoother and maybe a touch quieter but the bmw’s was more powerful)
I had a 2013 535i xDrive M-Sport (also known as an F10 in BMW slang). Much like the A-Spec for the TLX, the M-Sport is an appearance package that does nothing to improve actual performance.

In terms of power, the 535i is a much faster, more powerful car when compared to the TLX. The 528i is roughly equivalent to the TLX in terms of performance....but maybe a touch slower than the Acura.

The suspension in my 535i was definitely more comfortable....but not nearly as sporty. The F10 BMW's are more "Grand Touring" while the TLX is more "sports sedan". Although the TLX is a heavy car and weighs about the same as a 5 series (both are over 4200 lbs in AWD form), the TLX doesn't feel as heavy when you drive it. The BMW tended to lean into corners rather than dive into them. If you were cruising on a road with any kind of imperfections....the BMW is more comfortable. The steering on the TLX has a better feel than the BMW.

The TLX is a quieter car in comfort or normal mode...but the piped in sound in sport mode is louder than the BMW.

It's not fair to compare technology of an 8 year old car against a new car, but the TLX is better than the BMW overall in that category because of time. The iDrive is a bit easier to learn and is perhaps slightly more intuitive, but I get along just fine with the TLX touchpad interface. I liked the BMW's navigation presentation a little bit more though. The CarPlay and wireless charging are features in the TLX that my old BMW didn't have. Before they discontinued the service because of the 2G system in the BMW, my old F10 had some pretty cool features that the TLX doesn't have. I could send destinations to my car's GPS, read emails and do other tasks before BMW told me that I needed to buy a new BMW if I wanted to have those features.

My F10 had a power opening and closing trunk and it feels extremely plebian to have to push my trunk closed after years of pressing a button and walking away.

I had the upgraded seats in my F10 and they had more available adjustments....but the TLX seats are more supportive in the right places and has ventilated seats that my BMW didn't have.

I do find it inexcusable for Acura to sell a car with an MSRP over $47k that doesn't have a heated steering wheel.

The TLX does ignore the backseat overall and a BMW is a happier place for passengers. My BMW had charging ports, heated seats, AC controls and more legroom. The front passenger area experience in the TLX is overall a little more enjoyable in my opinion. I didn't like the light colored wood in the Advance model though. I thought it looked low rent compared to the Ash inlays that my BMW had.

If money was no object and I wasn't planning on keeping a car long term, I would go out and buy a BMW M550i xDrive in a heartbeat over the TLX. I'd seriously look at the 540i instead. However, in terms of value, looks and performance.....the TLX is a better balance for people that don't want to spend $70k plus on a car. If you are looking at a $70k Type S....there are a lot of cars that make more sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drove it’s last week. Bought it immediately after. Car looks awesome in person. Even better than the pictures. The salesman was trying to get me to send it every chance I could. The handling is great. You can really feel the road. The acceleration between 1400rpm and 6000rpm is very good. The car feels very fast and it is with 4.5 0-60. But the overall package is what sold me. The looks both interior and exterior, there’s a nice exhaust sound with a slight burble in gear changes, the engine and SHAWD, and everything else in the car is overall a great choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the dealership and bought it. There is only really 1 option with the type s and that is the wheels. I had a choice to choose from 1 of 6 that the dealership already ordered and all they were getting. The difference were the color options. All had the upgraded wheels. I went with black on black. Those red brembo calipers are going to be screaming “look at me” on it. The price was the price. Nothing over value and definitely nothing under. There was no negotiation at all. Take it or leave it, whatever the price is online when you build the one you want is the price. Which was actually very nice (not a fan of negotiation games). The best bet also was to buy. The only leasing option was so much money (4K down and 799 a month 36 months and 12k miles a year). The car already has a three year residual of 61% so between that and the facts that Acura hasn’t made a type s anything in over 12 years and there only making 2000 tlx type S this year it’s definitely a good buy. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on the waiting list at my local dealership and I'm still waiting for my TLX Type S to come in, I can't wait! They have a demo and I drove it last Monday. It's a sweet ride!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Things I’m starting to read, it’s a little slower than I expected, a Genisis 80 spanks it as does the A4 RS! Think I maybe changing my mind to the Audi RS, keep the 2020 v6 tech as my go to dd!
Wish luck to all who have purchased.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts