Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoNews is saying Acura will be considering a Type S reincarnate...

Acura also is studying bringing some sporting flair back to the rest of the lineup with the Type S designation, but how it plans to increase its vehicles' performance is being determined.
Now all I can say is I hope they go beyond the vapid mess Honda turned Si into...

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Acura also is studying bringing some sporting flair back to the rest of the lineup with the Type S designation, but how it plans to increase its vehicles' performance is being determined."

I saw that also. I just wonder who they are quoting or getting their information from. Reminds me of Apple and all of the sites that try to predict what is coming and when.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the different suspension settings available on the current car the only thing the "S" could offer would be upgraded drive train, brakes, and trim package. Acura has the 310hp version of the v-6 in the RL but they have always been shy about offering an RL engine in a TL. The RL sells so few units who cares. I currently have an "S" and love it it would be great if a replacement came along.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
With the different suspension settings available on the current car the only thing the "S" could offer would be upgraded drive train, brakes, and trim package. Acura has the 310hp version of the v-6 in the RL but they have always been shy about offering an RL engine in a TL. The RL sells so few units who cares. I currently have an "S" and love it it would be great if a replacement came along.
With the new TLX, lighter body, lighter Sh-awd, I don't see how much really a Type S would change. I think they should add a turbo in there.....dual exhaust, and perhaps some Brembo brakes and that's a real type S!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the new TLX, lighter body, lighter Sh-awd, I don't see how much really a Type S would change. I think they should add a turbo in there.....dual exhaust, and perhaps some Brembo brakes and that's a real type S!!
we've already got dual tips!

But I know what you mean ;)

What would be menacing is....

If it does come back I just hope its more than an appearance pack. Bring back the manual and turbo something!!! I'd even be game for Hybird AWD Type S. Repurpose the system from RLX/NSX perhaps???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, according to forums, appearance is really important to enthusiasts. That's why they want visible exhausts, no?

Hybrid AWD turbo Type S? Who's ready to pay $60K+?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Having a turbo on a hydrid is a reality not a fantasy, VW have it on their new albeit limited edition and extremly exspensive hybrid, and that has the best production fuel consumption currently available 0.9L / 100kms! I think its diesel though...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
we've already got dual tips!

But I know what you mean ;)

What would be menacing is....

If it does come back I just hope its more than an appearance pack. Bring back the manual and turbo something!!! I'd even be game for Hybird AWD Type S. Repurpose the system from RLX/NSX perhaps???
Sick pipes on that TL!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would a hybrid model have a turbo? This fantasy chat should at least make sense.
fuq I guess we better call up Acura and let them know that their twin turbo v6 hybrid NSX is bending the laws of Haims reality. I'm sure its just slipped their mind ;)>:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
fuq I guess we better call up Acura and let them know that their twin turbo v6 hybrid NSX is bending the laws of Haims reality. I'm sure its just slipped their mind ;)>:D
Now who is being delusional? It must be a thrill to drive your new NSX, I'm sure. I mean since you have won in fair and square from Seinfeld, things has been looking up for you. However, do you really think that technology ever going to be available on your 4 banger family sedan?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now who is being delusional? It must be a thrill to drive your new NSX, I'm sure. I mean since you have won in fair and square from Seinfeld, things has been looking up for you. However, do you really think that technology ever going to be available on your 4 banger family sedan?
lets stroll down memory lane...

Why would a hybrid model have a turbo? This fantasy chat should at least make sense.
remember you brought 4 banger into the discussion, I was always discussing a potential V6 Hybrid Type S.

Stop moving the goal posts, turbo hybrids exist. VW has the Jetta Turbo Hybrid as well as the Golf GTE, the NSX is a convenient example because its proprietary technology.

Hybrid
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTE Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver
2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK, coming down to earth again. Acura barely sells any sedans, and what it does sell are mostly 4 bangers like TSX or ILX. On what planet do you think they will see profit if they start equipping those with Turbo/Hybrids? If your point is that such technology exists, perhaps. Anything could be put together if one wanted to. My point is that you'll never see it on TLX, so stop dreaming about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
and 6 speed manual transmission! So far, nothing we've seen has matched our '04 6MT sport suspension TL. But we would hold out for a type-S TLX if it offered manual transmission. We'd like to drive as long as possible before self-driving cars become our reality.

·
Registered
317 Posts
turbo hybrid is possible, i can see that happening with a 4 cylinder engine that the brand already offers or with a new engine built from the ground up with turbo in mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
turbo hybrid is possible, i can see that happening with a 4 cylinder engine that the brand already offers or with a new engine built from the ground up with turbo in mind.
Am I the only person who would be completely happy if they just had SH-AWD with a 6MT? Nobody's mentioned a manual in this thread so far, and in my opinion, makes or breaks the "sportiness" of a car.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Manual transmissions are getting fewer and fewer. You have to wonder how much longer manufacturers will continue to engineer both transmission types for cars. It must be expensive.

I have a 6 speed manual in my Si and I love it. It's so smooth. I would definitely consider this option for the TLX if it was offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts