Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda is turning to turbocharging to boost fuel economy, do we have any reason to believe Acura won't follow suit?

Honda Global R&D chief Yoshiharu Yamamoto says this is the only way to meet ever shrinking emission targets while still delivering engaging product. He also asserts that downsized turbo engines will be the base engines moving forward, including the Civic.

Honda will complete its $340 million investment into their Anna, Ohio engine facility sometime this year, which means we will see Honda churning out turbocharged engines in 2015. Could we see TLX with a base turbo for MY 2016?

Probabaly, but which engine remains to be seen. Honda has 1.0T, 1.5T and 2.0T options, the 1.5T is confirmed for Civic and by proxy, ILX. Which would logically rule out the 1.0T and leave us with just the 2.0T.

Now the other possibility is leaving the base engine as is, and offering both the 2.0T and V6 as premium upgrades, which would be nice to have the DCT with the more potent engine...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have to bring this to the TLX. The I4 engine bay looks so empty. It's just begging for a turbo.
the 2.0T is a plenty mean engine in the civic Type R if specs are anything to go off... maybe a fitting return of Type S even??? 2.0T, 300ish ponies, DCT??? yes yess!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am speculating 2016 TLX will drop the 2.4L engine option and the 3.5L v6 FWD and put the 2.0L Turbo in its space. 3.5L with SH-AWD will still remain as the top trim.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I am speculating 2016 TLX will drop the 2.4L engine option and the 3.5L v6 FWD and put the 2.0L Turbo in its space. 3.5L with SH-AWD will still remain as the top trim.
I hope not. >:D

I find my 2.4L has plenty of power. At 38 MPG on the Highway, will 2.0L Turbo get that much more MPG? Just curious.

Maybe I am missing the point? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find my 2.4L has plenty of power. At 38 MPG on the Highway, will 2.0L Turbo get that much more MPG? Just curious.

Maybe I am missing the point? :)
you maybe right about power and needs but my thinking came from product positioning perspective. The 2.4L option is now available on the ILX and for MPG conscious buyers, that option exists. Whereas TLX is supposed to compete against its brethren - Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4, Lexus ES, BMW 3 series. All of them have power output starting in 240+ hp range even on base trims. Turbos are also common in this class. So, it feels like a turbo engine must fit and be present somewhere in the acura lineup. Furthermore, it seems to me that place is in TLX. Whether this happens as soon as model year 2016 or more likely 2017+ is to be seen.

Turbo engines may not be ready for production until later this year. so, i remain a little skeptical that they would consider introducing it with this year's TLX but it is confirmed for this year's civic si.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
you maybe right about power and needs but my thinking came from product positioning perspective. The 2.4L option is now available on the ILX and for MPG conscious buyers, that option exists. Whereas TLX is supposed to compete against its brethren - Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4, Lexus ES, BMW 3 series. All of them have power output starting in 240+ hp range even on base trims. Turbos are also common in this class. So, it feels like a turbo engine must fit and be present somewhere in the acura lineup. Furthermore, it seems to me that place is in TLX. Whether this happens as soon as model year 2016 or more likely 2017+ is to be seen.

Turbo engines may not be ready for production until later this year. so, i remain a little skeptical that they would consider introducing it with this year's TLX but it is confirmed for this year's civic si.
Good points that make sense. Thanks for explaining. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
If Honda is set to do it, there's no question that Acura will. Acura has plans to bring performance products aimed at performance, as they've claimed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts