Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a Thule one recently. It works pretty well. Be careful of scraping off the paint though when attaching the hooks to the trunk.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a Thule one recently. It works pretty well. Be careful of scraping off the paint though when attaching the hooks to the trunk.
This is what makes me nervous about using a rack on my car... scratching or scraping paint with the hooks. Are the new racks any better with protecting the paint against the hooks?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it were me (and only one bike):

Remove front tire
Lay down back seat
Insert bike into trunk and put front tire in back seat
Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up getting that saris rack, and did notice some minor scuff marks on top of the trunk after the first use. To be fair, I was driving on a dirt road carrying 3 bikes...so the fine particles probably got underneath the pads. Normally, I would just haul 1 bike on paved roads.

Saris does stress to make sure the trunk is clean before installing it.

Anybody get a hitch mounted bike rack hooked up?

·
Registered
317 Posts
for anything that has the potential of rubbing through paint, i would pick up a roll of clear vynal. just simply cut and stick on a strip where the pad meets the paint and peel off after.
You might even be able to find a vinyl shop that can help to get something exact fit to fit in that area properly and look good too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're careful in attaching the hooks to the trunk it should be safe. The hooks on mine has a plastic coating that helps prevent scratching the paint. But there's always the risk!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ultimately using a hitch mounted system is the best way to avoid damage, any time you put that much of a load on that area the risk for dent and damage to the paint goes up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you need hatch hugger to replace side hooks for Bone 3 on TLX?

I ended up getting that saris rack, and did notice some minor scuff marks on top of the trunk after the first use. To be fair, I was driving on a dirt road carrying 3 bikes...so the fine particles probably got underneath the pads. Normally, I would just haul 1 bike on paved roads.

Saris does stress to make sure the trunk is clean before installing it.

=> Hi Dahntahn_pgh,
I am looking for a trunk bike rack for TXL.
How do you like the Saris bone 3 on TLX?
According to Saris web site, it requires Parts #3035 Hatch Hugger to replace side hooks. Did you get the Saris Hatch hugger as well? Thank you in advance.

- Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it were me (and only one bike):

Remove front tire
Lay down back seat
Insert bike into trunk and put front tire in back seat
Enjoy the ride
Used this 2 weeks ago. Worked great (of course)... I still need to call my dealer and ask about the warranty implications of adding a hitch for bike rack (only)... as often I would like my bike and GF's bike, or my bike and the 2 bikes for the kids and the 'fold seats down' method doesn't really work (can't fit all bikes and if you could, couldn't fit all people).

Anyway, thanks!

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is an old thread but having seen the effect of exactly that Saris Bones 3-bike rack on my previous car (many very fine scratches caused by the dust/sand particles accumulated under the rubber pads) I was reluctant to put it on my new TLX. The solution came from an Amazon review for a similar rack. Buy a "helicopter tape" which is a thick vinyl tape with very sticky coating on one side, kind of a heavy duty wide (2" or so) scotch tape. I applied the tape where the rack gets in contact with the trunk and the bumper. It is slightly noticeable but the paint is protected very well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts