Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow blew a fuse. Already fixed the interior lights fuse and got that working. But now theres still an issue with the trunk. Car thinks its still open even though it's shut. Thinking it could be some other fuse or and issue with the latch. Any idea or thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Strange that it would be blowing fuses. Maybe take it to get checked in case there are other electrical issues. I don't see a dedicated fuse for the trunk latch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had a LED strip wired instead of the original light. I guess somehow the wires touched and it blew the fuse. Everything seems to be working now. Interior lights come on, automatic lights work. Only thing is the dash display shows the trunk being open. Tried pulling the cable the connects the latch out and putting it back on but no luck. Guessing its something inside the latch itself but not entirely sure

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
I couldn't find any wiring diagrams that show which fuse the trunk release is connected to. Based on what I've found online it was connected to the power locks on the TL. You could check those fuses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IIf the trunk light is on and the trunk is closed and latched it sounds like something let go in the switch mechanism in the latch. First thing I would do is find the fuse for the trunk light and pull it so as not to kill the battery. See what else if anything is on that fuse so you'll know if something doesn't work when you pull the fuse. After that you can dig a little further to find the problem yourself or have a Locksmith take a look at it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Couple of thoughts here:

1. Trunk likely has a sensor/switch somewhere to indicate its not shut. I suspect this is the root problem. But haven't looked to see where it is - and if its mechanical, proxy, etc. This might be part of the latch, or perhaps on its own?
2. Trunk lights should be driven by this switch directly OR via software. So if #1 isnt working, then the light may be forced on all the time (or off all the time)

While I agree that disconnecting the LED is a good way to eliminate issues, I thinks highly unlikely its causing the 'trunk open' message. Why would a light bulb/status have anything to do with the trunk sensor.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The thought was that even though the latch system has the sensor to determine if its closed then perhaps the drain on the LED strip is different on the circuit even if the light is off (LED circuit might be drawing juice) hence the circuit in the newly installed LED strip might be the issue.

You can test the latch / system by engaged the latch with the trunk open... you can "latch" it buy using a screw drive to push the mechanism closed/latched. With the trunk latched the light should be off as well as any indicator. IF works I would repeat again with the LED disconnect to be ensure.

PS If you do trigger the latch manually be sure to press the drunk release button before closing the trunk, this will open the latch again to get it ready to close and secure the trunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Somehow blew a fuse. Already fixed the interior lights fuse and got that working. But now theres still an issue with the trunk. Car thinks its still open even though it's shut. Thinking it could be some other fuse or and issue with the latch. Any idea or thoughts?

Dude, that light made me crazy for like a year until one of my local Locksmiths told me to look for a broke wire in the trunk loop( the one that goes from the car to the trunk lid) I had 4 broken wires! Light Gone

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did th exact same thing. I was replacing the Bulb with an LED and I blew the fuse. Now the trunk open indicator wont go off. Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the same issue right now! Bringing it to my local Acura dealership and see if they can find the cause! Put my warranty to use! Will update once i get it fixed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine to the Acura Dealer they said the bulb does not have anything to do with the trunk open indicator. They said its just coincidence that my trunk latch went bad at the same time. Regardless they said I needed a new trunk latch. So I bought a new one and installed it myself. It fixed the problem right away!

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2015 Advanced is doing the same thing right now. I was trying to put an LED in place of the stock trunk light, and BAM! Blew a fuse and now the trunk open indicator is on my dash too. This cant be a coincedent since all three of us has had the same issue now. So I guess now i will tear apart the trunk lid and see if any wires are damaged. Then next step i believe would be to buy a trunk latch assembly and see if that fixes it. Any help with a certain fix would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 2015 Advanced is doing the same thing right now. I was trying to put an LED in place of the stock trunk light, and BAM! Blew a fuse and now the trunk open indicator is on my dash too. This cant be a coincedent since all three of us has had the same issue now. So I guess now i will tear apart the trunk lid and see if any wires are damaged. Then next step i believe would be to buy a trunk latch assembly and see if that fixes it. Any help with a certain fix would be really appreciated.
I have to Agree this can't be a coincidence since its happening to all of us. But I have about 5 years of Automotive Mechanic experience and I tried everything I know to figure this out. When we blow that fuse for whatever reason it damages the trunk latch in some way and makes the switch in the trunk latch go bad. After I replaced my trunk latch it fixed the problem immediately. I was still curious so I took apart the old trunk latch that went bad and took a very close look at how everything work and at the circuitry. I was looking for something burned or discolored. Anything abnormal and I found nothing at all. Everything looked just fine in there. I cant explain it and neither could the dealership but when we blow that fuse we damage the trunk latch for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If there are electronics on the latch which sounds like there is, it could be something on the board the blew. It can blow internally so that nothing would be visible. The only would to confirm would be to test the circuit board and its components with something like a multimeter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If there are electronics on the latch which sounds like there is, it could be something on the board the blew. It can blow internally so that nothing would be visible. The only would to confirm would be to test the circuit board and its components with something like a multimeter.
Yes, I completely agree. I tried a few different spots for continuity but without a wiring diagram I didnt know what to test for and where so I gave up on it. Maybe if we had a wiring diagram of the trunk latch board we could figure this out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts