Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 4 cylinder and since day one whatever driving mode I am in the transmission seems to skip a beat especially driving at slow speeds. There are times when coasting into a stoplight that is seems to downshift-and not smoothly. Now I m hearing and reading that there are generally isues with the car. I knew it wasn't me-and don't get me going on the jello effect--it is there--does a brake adjustment work.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bought the 4 in mid November and have never been comfortable with the transmission--something aint right especially driving slowly--it seems to downshift or miss a beat at will and pressing on the gas pedal SOMETIMES does not mean the car will go---its now becoming a safety problem as I have had to learn how to drive this car.Stopping by the dealer today

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought the 4 cylinder and since day one whatever driving mode I am in the transmission seems to skip a beat especially driving at slow speeds. There are times when coasting into a stoplight that is seems to downshift-and not smoothly. Now I m hearing and reading that there are generally isues with the car. I knew it wasn't me-and don't get me going on the jello effect--it is there--does a brake adjustment work.?
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed your first post.

Sorry to hear about your transmission. Seems a lot of people are having the same issue, unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
681 Posts
When did you pick up your car, snd any idea if all updates have been performed by your dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue here!

bought the 4 in mid November and have never been comfortable with the transmission--something aint right especially driving slowly--it seems to downshift or miss a beat at will and pressing on the gas pedal SOMETIMES does not mean the car will go---its now becoming a safety problem as I have had to learn how to drive this car.Stopping by the dealer today
I too picked up my car in October, and it is the 4 with the tech package. I have had it in the shop 3 times to address the very issues you have. Jerks between shifts at low speeds, surges when coming to a stop, and a huge lag when you press the accelerator. They had the Acura service rep come down and drive the car for me. His response was something to the effect: "there really isn't anything worng technically with the car as the transmission is doing what it is supposed to; shifting the most efficient way between gears". That being said, although it is working the way its supposed to, it drives like crap. This being my 5th Acura, it is by far the most disappointing. I have a message into my dealer about returning it, but much to my surprise, I haven't received a response. I really want to like this car, but they put a lemon of a tranny in this thing and they are back peddlling!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue here. It is a real bummer because there is not much you can do. I am trying to figure out a way to get out of my lease. If you find a fix, please give us a shout. Good luck! They blew it on this one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar issues with transmission

I too picked up my car in October, and it is the 4 with the tech package. I have had it in the shop 3 times to address the very issues you have. Jerks between shifts at low speeds, surges when coming to a stop, and a huge lag when you press the accelerator. They had the Acura service rep come down and drive the car for me. His response was something to the effect: "there really isn't anything worng technically with the car as the transmission is doing what it is supposed to; shifting the most efficient way between gears". That being said, although it is working the way its supposed to, it drives like crap. This being my 5th Acura, it is by far the most disappointing. I have a message into my dealer about returning it, but much to my surprise, I haven't received a response. I really want to like this car, but they put a lemon of a tranny in this thing and they are back peddlling!
I am in a very similar situation as yourself. I bought a 2.4L TLX with Tech Package back in September and have been experiencing the same transmission issues that you have described. I have experienced jerky shifting especially at lower speeds, sometimes the surge when coming to a stop as it does the final downshift and the lag in response time when hitting the accelerator.

I have been into the shop twice now to have them look at the issues. The first time, they did a Stroke Sensor re-calibration and TCM software update. It seemed to help a little, but issues resurfaced and remained. I brought it back in about a month later, they did a test drive with me in the car, and said basically the same thing "transmission seems to be shifting okay, but well take a more detailed look later". So they did a test drive later with a diagnostic tool plugged in, noticed some sort of issue but got back to me saying that Acura is aware of the issue but does not have a fix for it yet... They told me they opened a TechLine ticket or something, which I guess is how they escalate issues they can't fix with Service Bulletins etc.

This is my first car that I have purchased and financed on my own, so these issues are giving me some real buyers regret. It was alot of money and I am concerned that the issues may not be fixable but rather just how this new 8 speed DCT tranny works... I want to give Acura some time to figure out a fix because overall, I really love the car. But if it comes down to it, and I am unhappy with my purchase, what options do I have to return the vehicle? I have heard of lemon law before but am very unfamiliar with how the process works. Any help or advise from other more experienced car buyers would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acura in Brentwood, TN installed the TCM update on my TLX 4cyl this past Monday (also the cross traffic system and the customer satisfaction update). Since then my transmission performs smoothly both cold or warm and in start - stop traffic. It now drives like a luxury car instead of an old clunker. They also started a map update that runs for about 90 min in the background while you drive. I guess i'm driving a computer with wheels.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Acura in Brentwood, TN installed the TCM update on my TLX 4cyl this past Monday (also the cross traffic system and the customer satisfaction update). Since then my transmission performs smoothly both cold or warm and in start - stop traffic. It now drives like a luxury car instead of an old clunker. They also started a map update that runs for about 90 min in the background while you drive. I guess i'm driving a computer with wheels.
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see your first post was very uplifting to our members.

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is my first car that I have purchased and financed on my own, so these issues are giving me some real buyers regret. It was alot of money and I am concerned that the issues may not be fixable but rather just how this new 8 speed DCT tranny works... I want to give Acura some time to figure out a fix because overall, I really love the car. But if it comes down to it, and I am unhappy with my purchase, what options do I have to return the vehicle? I have heard of lemon law before but am very unfamiliar with how the process works. Any help or advise from other more experienced car buyers would be greatly appreciated!
Depending on your state, there are very specific guidelines that you have to meet in order to have a good lemon law case.

"Your motor vehicle has a defect that is covered by the terms of the warranty;
The defect substantially impairs the value of your motor vehicle;
Your car has been presented for repair to the dealer four or more times but the problem has not been fixed; or
Your car was out of service for a total of 20 or more business days during a 12-month period where the car was under warranty." - Taken from NC's consumer protection site

If you are just generally happy with the vehicle and the way it drives, the only remedy is to suck it up or trade out. Each car deal I've done required that I sign a "no cooling off period" waiver stating that I knew what I was purchasing and that there was no time to think about it after taking delivery of the vehicle.

My suggest to you would be to document everything that you see as a legitimate problem. Transmission issues, etc. Keep communicating with Acura Client Relations and your dealer until you get a fix or something else that will satisfy you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts